• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will there be a need for Officers in 3 years?

BradM

Inactive
Reaction score
I have heard so much lately about the Canadian army getting funding cuts and basically being reduced to a peace keeping force.
This makes me wonder if it is smart for me to be targetting my future to the Forces. I am currently in the process of getting a bachelors degree, and have 3 years left. I would be applying as a DEO, Infantry officer. This has been my goal since highschool.

Is this something I should keep my goals orientated to, or do you think the army will not really even be here in 3-4 years?

Thank you.

"Every country has an army - their own or someone elses."
-- Winston Churchill.

P-Free said:
"Every country has an army - their own or someone elses."
-- Winston Churchill.

Fair enough... I suppose that does help a little. But you know our government. You never know! ;)

BradM said:
I have heard so much lately about the Canadian army getting funding cuts and basically being reduced to a peace keeping force.

No such thing...

Have no fear - the CF will still be looking for warm bodies to lead soldiers into combat in three years.

Don't believe everything you read in the paper and see on TV - they get about 40% of their facts right on a good day.

I think the first problem to the thread is... "that i hear"

Heard from where..

I hear that crap all the time from civies that don't know better.

And yet the government just committed to putting 5000 more troops into the
military in the last budget?

NO fear my friend.  But why do you WANT to become an officer.  I was
so much smarter before they took out half my brain and gave it to a sgt.

Trinity said:
I was so much smarter before they took out half my brain and gave it to a sgt.

LMAO! So the rumours about officer training are all true then... ;D

lol. I've got a buddy who just got apprvd for a CFR. Says now he gets to go learn how to salut funny :salute:

The first few times getting saluted...

man... its odd.. the timings are different and it screws you up..

and troops salute you late and you're like..ACK>!@#@@

its funny.. really really funny...  now i hide when i walk around to
avoid packs of people so i don't have to be saluted otherwise i could
spend the entire night doing it.

Yes - go for it. If you make it through DEO Infantry you`ve done stuff few will ever be faced with - no matter how long you stay with military it will stand you in good stead.

Only half now that is funny. ;D

kincanucks said:

Only half now that is funny. ;D

Oh be nice to the padre, he's got powerful freinds  ;D

its funny.. really really funny...   now i hide when i walk around to
avoid packs of people so i don't have to be saluted otherwise i could
spend the entire night doing it.

That is funny, because in my unit, we always look around corners, and try to avoid officers, so we don't have to salute them. I now have a mental image of troops running around hallways trying to avoid officers, and officers running around hallways trying to avoid troops. Sounds like a Monty Python skit

If you guys think I'm kidding i'm not..

I swear.. I got dumber (if thats a word)....

First day to my new unit as an officer...  with 10 years in, previously as a MCpl..
(and i wasn't a bad MCpl....)

On the TTC, spilled, without realizing it, half my gatorade on my lap and on my bag.
Then proceeded to leave my bag on the Street Car. (retrieved by the troops before it left)

And to finish the night, ended up going out the wrong door and getting locked inside
the fenced in parking lot.

I NEVER would have done ANY of that as a MCpl.  SOMEONE took my brain... I'm not
sure who, I'm not sure when... But I swear to GOD it happened.

My Drill - ok, who's kidding who.. my drill was never good. 

As for the saluting.. yeah.. it does sound like a monty python skit.  Thats pretty much what
I did as an enlisted soldier and now as an officer.  I'll take little routes that are just far enough
away from them so they don't need to stop what they're doing... I don't want to interupt
good training or on their break.. Once at the beginning of the night.. Once at the end. The
rest...  go about your business. 

The word Sir has become a hated word in my vocabulary.  but, Suck it up Princess...  I don't have a choice...

For those thinking of it... Its a different life.  Mess dinners, many other commitments, a new type of leadership
and a whole new way of thinking.

Its an interesting transition with its good and bad points.

Do I recommend it.. ??? Dunno...  its where your goal is in life and what challenges you.

(now.. be nice.. i just spilled some embarassing facts!)

Why do I want to become an officer?
Simple:

1) I am a leader. I have the ability to lead people because I can command respect and trust. (This is what I have been told on many occasions)
2) I want to protect. I was considering being a police office, however I just don't think that's the life for me.
3) I love fast paced action packed environments. Getting up early and working hard all day.
4) I love my country and I want to do my part in protecting it.

:cdn:

Will there be a need for Officers in 3 years?
hmmm, I think the more relevant question is: Has there ever been a need for Officers?

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!  ;)  >:D  ;D

Yes, we'll always need officers. Someone has to be the signing authority and be held solely responsible when things go pear shaped ;)

Back