• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why don't we point?

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Bit of an odd ball question.

Since being a recruit I've always been told that instructors can't point with their finger towards a student (or whoever).

If an instructor wants to single someone out they "point" with their whole hand, like a big 5 fingered point.

What's the difference between pointing at someone with their finger and pointing at them with your whole hand, aside from the latter looking silly.

I've never done that....i've always pointed at students with one finger........

WTF did you get that from ?

I have never heard that.  I usually use my pace stick to point but have used my finger..

I Have heard that, and used to see people do the full hand point.  I hated it, it looked oh so "keener instructor" looking.

I think it was just a habit formed from the old saying never point as it is not polite.  It is also an old concept used by public speakers.  Watch politicians speak, they never point.  The one I see a lot looks like they are holding a want in their hand, almost like a fist.

dileas

tess

Kinda related to the 5 finger point aka Knife Hand 

http://terminallance.com/2010/08/27/terminal-lance-59-knife-hand-anger-gauge/

I was always told to, "POINT WITH YOUR WHOLE HAND!".
Always wondered why.

Now it's habit.

And it's too bad, 'cause my "pointing finger" is sexy as f_ck.

One finger is very powerful for the instructor,  but a whole hand gesture means the power of God! So fear me now before I teach a drill class!

I was always taught that it was OK to point at an object but not at a person.  In the military setting, the long fickle, finger of fate was usually used to indicate someone doing something wrong and was accompanied by a "Hey you *#$%".  I seem to recall it was seen in bad taste to point in the mid-90s (in Cornwallis anyways) much like swearing at individual recruits was deemed as inappropriate (the whole section, platoon - OK).  I seem to recall that instructors were told that unless that something that someone was doing was dangerous that a  "Stop" was just as effective as a "Hey you".  Getting to know and using your recruits last names was emphasized.

My Pl WO on QL2 always did the five fingered point while chopping his palm when emphasizing a point. Drove me fucking batty.

I've been pointed at. I have had the aforementioned hand of God chopping the palm (for ten weeks). I always remembered that first I had to unfuck whatever it was that got me pointed at, in whatever fashion you wish, before having hurt feelings about it. I never found it to be a problem, but that's just me.

I don't know the reason, I just used to have old men (mainly Patricia's... teehee) yell at me for it as a cadet  ;)

One possible explanation comes from Para training; when doing aircraft drill, after the "Sound Off For Eqpt Check", the number one jumper signals OK to the Jumpmaster by yelling and pointing with his open hand. If the candidate points with his finger, he is told to point with his full hand; not sure why, but it may have to do with doing the drill with mits, where pointing the finger is difficult.

I know in as a hockey ref we're told the same thing.  I checked the standards guide and the answer isn't a very good one.  Its along the lines of; 'When calling a penalty, the referee should use an open hand to indicate the player, not a single finger'.  Amongst the justifications I've heard is that it appears 'too aggressive' and may antangonize the player.  Although that player usually just finished smacking somone upside the head with a stick, so I would say he's pretty antagonized prior to being kicked out.

Grimaldus said:
Bit of an odd ball question.

Since being a recruit I've always been told that instructors can't point with their finger towards a student (or whoever).

If an instructor wants to single someone out they "point" with their whole hand, like a big 5 fingered point.

What's the difference between pointing at someone with their finger and pointing at them with your whole hand, aside from the latter looking silly.

I've never heard of that. Are you from the East Coast?  ;)

Out west we point with our drill canes or pace sticks, fingers, hands  and sometimes we just yell "HEY YOU". That gets everyones attention.....some of it not good attention either... ;)

Jim Seggie said:

Out west we point with our drill canes or pace sticks, fingers, hands  and sometimes we just yell "HEY YOU". That gets everyones attention.....some of it not good attention either... ;)

But out west where you can see your dog running away from home for days, I would suspect that you would want to use the whole hand for better resolution at farther distances. ;)

It could be for safety reasons, in case you have an ND with your finger, no one gets hurt. :D

I'm thinking the 'ten monkeys in a cage' banana-electrocution experiment is at play here...

Jim Seggie said:

You should try the finger pointing gesture used in the Phillipines for a change. If nothing else, you'll get extra marks for seeming 'worldly', if not downright friendly....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZdCxMafdFg

Grimaldus said:
Go with a two finger point (index & middle).  It is more aggressive than either one finger or open hand.
:eek:rly:

Robert0288 said:
I know in as a hockey ref we're told the same thing.  I checked the standards guide and the answer isn't a very good one.
The full open hand is probably easier to see from the perspective of the spectators - as a standard it would work in a small town rink or for an NHL game.  Could this be it?

Back