• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why does Canada need an army?

B

Beatty1

Hello everyone, I would like to know why a country such as Canada needs an army. I'm certain that one of the most obvious point, is to protect ourselves. And yes I know this seams like a juvenile question, but I'm hoping to see some in depth, and interesting comments.

Although I completely agree with you, there are some arguments (as ignorant as they are): Who would want to attack Canada? And also the states would protect us!

I know everyone could shut those down in an instant. That's not the point; I know that we help out overseas, and in our back yards in time of crisis. Why do I a student in the middle of the prairies need an army? What benefits does it give me, everyone. I have quiet of few ideas in my head but I want to get a good look on different ideas.

Who else would protect us? The U.S.A.? Not every Canadian agrees with U.S. policy. What about our soldiers, what will they do? Not having an army would put a lot of people on unemployment, unless there was an agreement with another Military, which would most likely be the U.S. Military. And as I said above, not everyone agrees with U.S. Policy. We need our own Military because we need to protect our borders, our policies and our way of life (no matter how close we are to the "American" way of life, we‘re still different).

Many Canadians say that we don‘t need one because we don‘t "piss anyone off" and think that Canada would never have our own 9-11. That‘s a bunch of crap, in my opinion, and even if we never did, would you want to take the chance?

Why do you think we don‘t need a Military?

EDIT:: Then there‘s also the respect issue, how would our alies and trade partners see us if we decide to basically say "we‘re going to leech off of you guys instead of sticking up for ourselves. We‘re also going to forget about lending a hand in international affairs."

alright, first of all.. why does Canada need an army? well, first off, let me fix some misconceptions about the army.. we are not only here to jump into action if anything is amiss in the world.. we are also here to cater to the canadian disasters.. and there is no shortage of those here in Canada.

secondly
And also the states would protect us!
but the question is, do we WANT the states to protect us? no! basically it would be saying that we don‘t give a flying ****, take away our independance! govern us..

Whisky tango foxtrot?

I completely agree with you on the US thing.
But on the crisis part, couldn‘t there be a different organization to do this? (And again i want to enfasize i‘m not anti-military, i‘m just asking the question as someone who is joining that reserves, and wants to get others prespectives.)

I think Jonsey has a great point with the protections of our policies and way of life.

Just a question: does any other country not have a military?

umm...why would someone attack Canada? Are you aware of the amount of natural resources Canada owns? Also, we have quite alot of land kicking around...and Im sure alot of over populated countries wouldnt mind having some of it. Keep in mind, the Canadian Army is not just a government establishment utilized to invade other countries and protect our own, we aid countries all over the world, lend support...and make the world a more stable place as often as possible. Another way the Canadian Army is useful, is like you pointed out already, we do crisis relief. Lending a MAJOR hand to the Emergency teams around the country.

I agree with Jonsey, we should continue to hold our own, and stop waiting for the united States to be our international bodyguard. We have alot to preserve and protect.

A good example was the war in Iraq; the Canadian government did not have the troops to send to Iraq. I do not think that was the only reason we did not go, there were many and most Canadians did not support it. But maybe if we had a larger Army we might have gone, or if we did have the Army our government might have sent us. Now the USA is allowing us to bid on lucrative contracts, but is the reason is because of what we did and are doing in Afghanistan?

We are part of the G8, would it be fair to lets say Germany or Great Britain who would for fun have no Armed forces and when ever there was a problem like Yugoslavia, Haiti or Somalia. Canada would always send troops and they did not, would we allow them to be involved in the process of world peace. The most widely known neutral country in the world is Switzerland and per capita â Å“IE mainly reservistsâ ? they have one of the largest Army‘s in Europe and yet they never send troops anywhere except the Vatican. Should they have a right to be part of the process in peace anywhere?

Then there is the home argument, I do not know how many times I was sent out to find a lost hiker or hunter in cold fall or winter conditions. Walking in the woods all night searching and callin g out names, searching in grids like a RECCE, who can you send on the ground at â “35 that has the experience and clothing of that weather outside and can walk and search large area's. The Oka crisis, the natives outgunned the Police force and had to call in the Army, Oka was just in the news again. The Ice storm, the snow storm in Toronto.

How many of you remember the US navy ship that went through our territory in the 80's and the USA said that it was not Canadian territory and the north belonged to the world. At the time we had an Army large enough that we could send troops, if it was today what would we do?

Why do we have police forces? Most of what we see them do can be done by meter maids, crosswalk attendents and Commissionares.

First and foremost, an army is a political tool of a government. It indicates that a government has the means to exert force, or demonstrate the threat of force, when political measures fail. In an international spectrum, possessing armed forces and the capability to project force (however slight) across the globe demonstrates a capability to be a player on the world stage; to have an active part in international decision-making that affects our way of live.

It may be that the most visible manner in which Canada exercises its ‘civic‘ responsibilities in the world community is partaking in peace-keeping; but that cannot be done credibly by an alternative organization. Peacekeeping a la late Op SNOWGOOSE (Cyprus) may have been mostly a mundane routine; but early missions in the Balkans were nothing like that and were no place for folks in reflective vests waving "stop" signs.

Domestically, the Canadian Forces was the best, if not the only organization that had the personnel, equipped with basic transportation and communication resources, having an in-place command and control structure and the corporate responsibility to respond. I cannot envision what we would maintain on a similar scale SOLELY for response to national emergencies with 10-15,000 personnel. Similarly on domestic issues, it is the military trainintg and support system that maintains much of our national search and rescue assets, maintains our nuclear, biological and chemical terrorism emergency response, that provided divers for the Swiss Air disaster and that provides the personnel and training for our counter-terrorist force (which the RCMP gave to the military after declaring they could not sustain it).

At what point do you consider our need for an armed forces ceased? After the War of 1812, the last direct assault by organized armed units on our territory? After 1864, when the affiliated threat of Union invasion as a spin-off of Confederate trade with Britain ceased? After the Fenian raids? After 1902, following our participation by wide public acclaim in the Empire‘s little war in South Africa? After 1918, when we returned from the First World War; where 61,000 of 626,000 Canadian soldiers died defending OUR ideals of peace and democracy? After 1945, when we returned from the Second World War, with one of the largest fleets in the worls; after 42,000 deaths from 1.1 million servicemen. Or maybe it faded when we withdrew our Brigade from Europe, did that indicate in your mind that we no longer had any responsibility to the nations with which we share defensive alliances? Or is it during the peacekeeping era; which has seen Canadian participating all over the world at a cost of over 120 dead to date, building a world-class reputation for professionalism and respect for our nation.

What does having an Army materially give to you, a teenage boy from the Prairies - probably nothing.

Ask me again after you gain an understanding of your own responsibilities as a citizen, both of Canada and within the world. Travel the country and the world, see what your military does at home and abroad. Understand that the nature of our democratic system relies heavily on the sacrifices of the soldiers from your father‘s, your grandfather‘s and your great-grandfather‘s generations. We may have a similar governmental system today if we‘d never gone overseas to fight, but of what value would that be if the majority of the world existed in dictatorships?

We exist as a sovereign nation because our nation has always maintained a will to step up in times of crisis and defend the mores of our nation. I, for one, think the Canadian citizenry gets that pretty cheaply for what they afford the services and I do not think saving those few billion dollars annually and becoming a ward of the US is worth the trade.

Don‘t ask what a the Army does for you; try asking what it does for your nation.

Mike

Originally posted by Beatty1:
[qb]
But on the crisis part, couldn‘t there be a different organization to do this?[/qb]
In my opinion there probably wouldn‘t be a better organization to deal with disaster relief than the soldier. Especially ours.

Soldiers, by their very nature, are taught to be creative in the way they deal with any given situation and will often prevent situations from arising by being very proactive.

Most disaster relief situations call for a large group of people who are disciplined, can think on their feet, can work as a team and can adapt to a constantly changing situation. As well as the ability to protect people and their belongings ( anti-looting). Then there is the ability to live in less than ideal conditions.

The military also has the kit and the knowledge to effectively use it to full advantage while conducting relief ops.

You would be hard pressed to find a more competent, capable group to taske care of disasters than the Canadian Forces.

Don‘t let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

Slim :cdn:

Maybe this is something no one here has thought of cause after all Canada is a very liberal tree hugging kind of nation... but a good reason to have an army is so you can attack.

Originally posted by Yes Man:
[qb] Maybe this is something no one here has thought of cause after all Canada is a very liberal tree hugging kind of nation... but a good reason to have an army is so you can attack. [/qb]
You‘re supposed to have three to one odds ( minimum) to attack anyone else.

Not that I disagree with you in the abstract but who were you thinking of attacking excactly?

Slim

Originally posted by Yes Man:
[qb] Maybe this is something no one here has thought of cause after all Canada is a very liberal tree hugging kind of nation... but a good reason to have an army is so you can attack. [/qb]
They are not only taught to attack, but also to defend.......

Originally posted by Trap:
How many of you remember the US navy ship that went through our territory in the 80's and the USA said that it was not Canadian territory and the north belonged to the world. At the time we had an Army large enough that we could send troops, if it was today what would we do? [/QB]
Actually, we still claim that territory, and the US still sends its ships through there. The point of contention is that we let them use it, and when they have ships going through, we send planes to do a routine flyby so that it cannot become an ‘international custom‘ and be entrenched into international law. As long as we do that, then no country can ever say that it was customary as an international waterway because we have NEVER accepted that.

I kind of like the Swiss model of a military. Not that I really want that model, but it could be a feasible option at least as far as the army is concerned. (I better be careful before I put myself out of work) It is conceivable that we could have one large militia, (reserves) for all home problems, home defence, and primarily volunteers for peacekeeping (or mabey a draft out of the reserves if we could ever get some sort of job guarantees enacted). The reserves would then need a mandatory training schedule over, mabey for example, 3 months within every 2 years. (again, job security would be an issue). Any other ideas on that?

I do beleive we need a military for any possibility, including potential future invasion from the south. I don‘t think the US would hesitate to get its hands on our water resources if they ran out and people there were suffering. But that is totally beside the point. On the other hand, I can‘t see any other nation that would ever invade Canada at the moment, not even the US right now. Face it, if they wanted to, they could do it. But the one thing that friendly relations with Canada does do for them is provides them with a ‘showcase‘ to boast about not being a bully or hegemonic power..and in some cases, it works for them.

Do you really think that if we were attacked on Sept. 11th, or that if an attack like that occurred that we would suddenly take a bunch of money from health care and education and redirect it to the military to invade someone else???? Crap, with our recruiting issues, we‘d have to institute a bl**dy draft in order to get our manpower up and then the quality of our troops would likely go down too.

Did your house burn down last night?
No you say, (I hope!)
Well, then you don‘t need a fire department, or do you?
:cdn:

Back