• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did/Are You Joining the Armed Forces??

Want to represent canada and make a future for my self my friends laugh at me joining the army but i question what there gonna be when there older i'm only 18 years old too so i think this might be one of my best decisions no matter what anyone else says i think its a calling i been wanting to join the military sense i was a private in the junior reserve office training program in fort meade maryland in the united states but anyways thats why i wanna join to represent canada and stand tall and look good in my BDU

Roca, we don't wear BDUs, neither does half the US Military now too.

I joined so when people ask me what my job is I can say in all truthfulness-  Government Agent.

HeatRoca said:
Want to represent canada and make a future for my self my friends laugh at me joining the army but i question what there gonna be when there older i'm only 18 years old too so i think this might be one of my best decisions no matter what anyone else says i think its a calling i been wanting to join the military sense i was a private in the junior reserve office training program in fort meade maryland in the united states but anyways thats why i wanna join to represent canada and stand tall and look good in my BDU

I have some extra punctuation laying around, if you need to borrow some.  ;D

I'm joining because I want to:

Serve the country the best way possible
Have a job thats different and any other job
Help people in need and become the best of the best
Also To Help the growth of the Canadian Armed Forces.

*OH and I had a bit of inspartion by my hero Dick Winters.

I'll be honest, I didn't learn about all this "serving my country" and "duty" and "loyalty" stuff until after I got in.  They sort of smashed it into my head while I was doing pushups.  During BMQ they made me memorize "Duty With Honour" word for word.

I joined 'cause I wanted to be a combat soldier, wanted to fire a rifle, and wanted to drive a tank.  The job turned out to be a lifestyle, and it ended up being a lot more fun than I had bargained for.

Reasons for me:

1. Hearing stories from my grandfather about WWII, and how proud every single man and woman was and still is.
2. For being able to serve my country, instead of my county serving me.
3. My dad telling me how the simple privilege to go to school that does not look like swiss cheese.....
4. Also for the fact of saying "yeah i drive tanks....don't you?".
5. And getting payed to have a sexy rock-body.

Reasons I want to jon:
1. Grandfather served as a dispatch rider in WW2, I'll be the first of my family to join since then.
2. To serve my country and hopefully have some fun along the way
3. Want to do something different with my life. Something that hopefully will make a difference.
4. Just seems like the life that I want, something different yet meaningful.
:cdnsalute:

Reasons that I'm joining the reg. force:

1) I joined the CIC and caught a glimpse of the military lifestyle and wanted to move from part time work and move into a combat oriented trade.
2) I had very well paying jobs over seas working on super yachts and came to the realization that nothing was worth doing unless I was doing something that bettered the lives of others...whether that is reconstruction in Afghanistan or being a good officer and being worried more about the welfare of the NCM's that I may support than putting the next bar on your shoulder
3) Also at the end of the day there is the steady pay, a reasonably pension and the fact that when signing onto the military that I would essentially be joining a new extended family

MikeL said:
Roca, we don't wear BDUs, neither does half the US Military now too.

i know we don't wear BDU but the name of the uniform we wear didn't come to mind tell right now my bad the CADPAT

The one and only reason for me...the boots...it was always about the boots...just kidding. I came from a military family like a few people here. And I think it was MRM that said it...there was just never anything else that I wanted to do. Almost everyone in my family had stories to tell and it just seemed so exciting. I love waking up in the morning and putting on my uniform and knowing I did something with myself...the idea of my dad saluting me one day helps too...lol...

1.  When I was first going to join back in the 80's with my friends, I got side tracked with Girls, Cars, Girls, Cars, Girls, Cars... just happen to take 20 years to get that out of my system (cars that is  ;D).

2.  I was starting to get too old to make any ranks so I had to do it now (kidding...).

3.  And last but not least, after traveling the world for the past 15 years, I've realized first hand that we have the best damned country on the planet, bar none!  You simply have to get out into the world for a few years for this to really hit home.

-What about a free education? Not to mention being paid while attending, with a guaranteed apprenticeship and a job right after!
-I don't know about you guys, but I can't cook if my life depended on it; so definitely the mess halls/galleys..
-Getting to play with expensive things.
-I still get a charge when I put on my uniform.  It totally reminds me that I have a really cool job, and to enjoy my day with that in mind.
-The family. <-- That's gotta be one of the best ones.
-Diversity, I hate sitting still for too long.
-Being part of history in the making...  That's a neat one.
-And 'comon...what woman doesn't like a man in uniform?  ;)

First time poster, long time visitor....sort of.

Hi!

I'm hoping to join the CF under DEO Infantry. I took the CFAT and did the interview. Now I'm just waiting for the Medical Examination.

Reasons why I wanna join:

1. For the free ice cream and underwear......................Ha Ha Just Kidding  ;D

1. The Hardship. I wanna put myself though hell so I can become a better person in the end.......Hopefully.
2. Active, outdoor environment.
3. And I guess I should also say........Paying my due for the "things" we take for granted.

AverageJoe said:
3. And I guess I should also say........Paying my due for the "things" we take for granted.
I forgot that one. Also, to make my mark on history ^-^

Well I can't say I joined because of any family history. We don't know of one person on my Mom's side that was in, so I am "breaking ground" so to speak.

Basically, two reasons. To give back, and help others.

As simple as that.  :cdn:

Pte Pea said:
and help others.
And you will do good at that  ;) And what ever you do for Canada, you will do great, as will every else  :salute:  :cdn:

Had a Canadian pride moment there  ;)

hear our National Anthem, you just know why you keep on doing it.

You know, that's the best thing I've heard all month. If anyone has seen the Molson Canadian commercial, it really jump-starts my excitement for the summer - even knowing it's a beer commercial. Still, fact of the matter is that whenever I hear the canadian anthem, or see people singing it, I feel so proud "To be Canadian!".

The reason why I wanted to join the army was basically because I wanted to be someone that didn't sit all day on a black office chair in front of a monitor and it's brotheren dsl modem. I love watching war movies, the only type of movie anyone would probably catch me watching. Just like the guy with the bad grammar and zero periods said [sorry brother, can't remember your name], "my friends think I'm nuts for wanting to join the army". Uhm, correction, your nuts for not joining the army. Look at what it offers, what you can become, and what you have open to you. It's a world of opportunities and whoever doesn't advance on that notion is obviously someone of the "norm".

I can't wait to get out there, go places, see things, do things....Ahh, you guys got me worked up; I think I'm going to watch Black Hawk Down in some green underwear while eating ice cream  :)

I'm not in the army yet, but all of the paper work on my end is done, as well as my interview, etc, and I'm waiting to hear back from the people at recruiting.  Every day without a phone call is another day worrying that something went wrong, but I remind myself that the process takes time.  Hopefully I'll get accepted to the CEOTP and end up an infantry officer.

I'm not exactly sure of all my reasons for joining, but if I were more definite they may go something like this;

1 - Adventure / The chance to see the world / The experience
2 - I've read way too many history books, soldier's journals, etc
3 - I want to make a real difference to someone at some point in my life
4 - My great grandfather, French Canadian, served with the American Army in WWI, my grandfather in WWII, also I have a cousin with the CF in Afghanistan right now, and another cousin with the Americans in Iraq
5 - The money.  I'm tired of running fishing boats.

Back