• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did/Are You Joining the Armed Forces??

Usman_Syed said:
Does the french foreign legion count?

I would say no as all legionnaires do basic infantry and commando training before being selected for the various regiments. When the recruits come in off the street they won't get a posting preference to 2REP.  Hard mercenaries and commandos should not be confused with SF.

I think it would be interesting to know the reasons why the men and women of our great nation have decided to give their lives to the military.

Mine is simple, if not idealistic, but I feel it is a valid reason.

Do you remember when you were growing up, your Mom telling you to "Eat all your food, there are starving children aroud the world that would give anything to have what's on your plate right now"?. Well, now I'm 25, 6'1" and 200lbs. I ate all my food, and those children my mother told me about are STILL HUNGRY!!!! I am guilty of taking for granted all that I've had, and have realized that I need to give back what is owed. We are lucky to live in a country where not eating our veggies is actually an option for most of us.

I have realized that right now in Afghanistan there is an opportunity to give people the chance at a life that we take for granted, and I am taking that opportunity.

I dropped of my application at a Recruitment Centre yesterday (Infantry/Armoured/FieldArtillery) and will be hanging around in the Recruiting forum for a while, so please feel free to comment, and share your reasons for joining the Armed Forces in the greatest country on earth!!!

To serve.

To do things you can't do anywhere else in the civie world.

To do something meaningful with my life.  (grading and planting potatoes in PEI just didn't seem to fit that bill  ;D)

To be a small part of something that makes our country free and strong.

I grew up in a CF family.  It...it just seemed to be the thing to do.  Not even a question really when I think about it.

Odd, every time I go to a Moosehead's game here in Halifax, and hear our National Anthem, you just know why you keep on doing it.

:cdn:

I said it before, and I'll say it again...the recruiter promised me ice cream every day!

I'm joining basicly for the same reason of mud recce man

1- To serve a country I love
2- To do something I would never find in a civvie job
3- I also come from a CF family and, I always has been surrounded by CF people...and those are great people
4- To be part of a goup of people that deserve our upmost respect
5- To proove myself that I'm able to push further my limits

and I could go on and on :)

I want my daughter to know that service isn't something other people do. You step up.

And there are other reasons...

B

My Family as a proud tradition in serving for our country. Seem fit for me to join. But I kind of went out of the track being the first one not joining as a infantry  >:D

CHIMO !

Odd, every time I go to a Moosehead's game here in Halifax
You mean that junior team that we don't know if they will do the post season series ??  ;D

GO REMPARTS GO

The reasons that I want to join is the following
      1/  To serve
      2/  To have a great career
      3/  To get myself out of the call center that I work and to get as far away from Trenton as I can

I haven't got the official nod yet but I passed the testing just waiting for the paper work to go through here is hoping that all goes well 

Well I come from a line of WWII vets, my grandfathers, and what grandaughter doesn't think the world of grampy...
I was raised with the knowledge that my grandfathers had fought for my freedom...my freedom to do pretty much whatever I want whenever I want...and I for one am thankful everyday for that...

That combined with my civilian skills...there is a long history of nursing in the CF  :salute: to my Nursing Sisters who have gone before me and who serve now.
I want to serve my country the best way I am able...that is to provide nursing care to my comrades.

I could add a few other things...like doing things I might not ordinarily do in a civilian job...like rappelling ;D...the challenge draws me as well...did I mention the great big family you get too...

HL

It's the family business.

Both my grandfathers served during the war. My father served 37 years. My brother is serving.

I'm the only one who did not go Infantry Officer.

Mud Recce Man said:
Oh one more thing...

FREE GREEN UNDERWEAR

8)
Ummm MRM you can't wear those now...you are AF...you are AF...you are AF...

This isn't going to work...

HL

karl28 said:
      3/  To get myself out of the call center that I work and to get as far away from Trenton as I can

I guess joining the AF is out of the question...  ;)

What are you applying for?  I grew up in the area as well, know the feeling.

kc

Must wait till october to reapply. I just want to do something i can be proud of. To look back and say "i did that". Build a stable life for my son, and have job security.

1. Because Im cool! 8)
2. I've always wanted to serve in the forces
3. Great career, nothing like civie street
4. To provide for my future family
5. The brotherhood (and sisters)

Hi there pylon  I am hopefully going Infantry and hopefully going PPCLI  I have always liked the Army it just seems to suit me how about your self

To do something the vast majority of people are unwilling (and in many cases) incapable of doing

Back