• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did/Are You Joining the Armed Forces??

Exactly... there aren't many, but a few that still take pride in the things that people do for this country. I'm only 20, so I guess I can be part of the "MTV Generation", but my views are totally different. I look forward to serving in the forces soon.

Fry said:
I'm currently in the recruitment process and hope to be off to bmq this fall at the latest.

And you know whats funny.....

There are unit recruiters here... as well probably a good portion of all units in the CF.

And then you go off on a reckless and bigoted rant with no facts, disgracing yourself,
this site, Christianity (which is my personal beef), and insulting others.

I sure hope for your sake that Mike doesn't release your name or IP because if ANY recruiter
saw your post they would deny you an application. Your attitude and open views on sites like
these show true character and represent poorly of yourself.  Not to mention that NO police force
either would hire you after such a post.  And all it takes is one. 

2 Kids just got thrown out of a private school for a few anti semetic posts on a site in Toronto
and they were just kidding. One of the kids was even Jewish. 

Sites like these aren't just fun and games.  Good luck applying.  Avoid Toronto.

Trinity,

I'm not anti homosexual, I was only saying that I don't like it when they involve ministers and priests of Christianity to perform marriage ceremonies for them. Did I say I hated them? No, I didn't.

Did I say that I hated people because of ethnic origin? No. Did I say I hate people based on their gender identity? No, I didn't. There was no anti-gay anything. If some of you took my posts the wrong way, then again, I apologize, but read back over them. I did not say I hate anyone, did I? No.

Trinity said:
And you know whats funny.....

There are unit recruiters here... as well probably a good portion of all units in the CF.

And then you go off on a reckless and bigoted rant with no facts, disgracing yourself,
this site, Christianity (which is my personal beef), and insulting others.

I sure hope for your sake that Mike doesn't release your name or IP because if ANY recruiter
saw your post they would deny you an application. Your attitude and open views on sites like
these show true character and represent poorly of yourself.   Not to mention that NO police force
either would hire you after such a post.   And all it takes is one.  

2 Kids just got thrown out of a private school for a few anti semetic posts on a site in Toronto
and they were just kidding. One of the kids was even Jewish.  

Sites like these aren't just fun and games.   Good luck applying.    Avoid Toronto.

If you have a problem with what he said you should give him a personal message instead of posting things like this in a totaly unrelated form. That topic was locked for a reason and not for you to drag the debate onto another topic.

Everything(I Hope) is cleared up, so let's just end all of this. My error, my fault. Let's move on.

I'd like to add my story here about why I am joining the CF. Some of my reasons are of a moral/ethical nature and some are just plain practical. I don't think any singular reason is better than another, and I also believe that if a person chooses to join for any reason - good on them. It's a far better bad choice to join the CF for "three hots and a cot" than most people's good choices.

1. I had served before in the reserves and my father did 26 years. I saw the life, lived the life and it was good to our family in ways that no corporation could ever be.
2. I have worked in the corporate world and am sick to death of never knowing what is expected of me. In the CF, I will know exactly what my role is and know that any initiative that I take, within the structure provided, will be rewarded at the very least with a heart-felt attaboy.
3. I want a career where I know that if I do my best, I will succeed - unlike the corporate world where the best get beaten down or laid-off, if they are not the best at politicking.
4. I may not like the governing party, or winter, but Canada is still the best country in the world and I'd be proud to support her in this manner.
5. I want to show my son that his dad is a dedicated man, with intelligence and passion. The CF will give me the opportunity to do that.
6. The money/compensation/benefits are very good.
7. In some ways,  it's me saying thank you for the life the CF gave me through my father's involvement.
8. Where else am I going to get paid to do this great fun stuff?
9. I actually like MRE's - especially the corn beef hash.
10. It is my opinion that all Canadians should serve a minimum of 2 years in the Reg's - I'm backing that up with action.

There are probably more reasons that I haven't conciously realized,  but I do admit that current advertising initiatives had no effect on my choice. The influence of family and friends lead to me making this decision. Possibly the best I've ever made.

Why would you join the CF?
This not something I want to do, this is something I have to do.

Does that make sense? Most people I talk to don't understand that, but I suspect that many people here know what I mean.

Pieman said:
This not something I want to do, this is something I have to do.

Does that make sense? Most people I talk to don't understand that, but I suspect that many people here know what I mean.

Makes sens eto me.....i was the same way.  I never eraly considered doing anything else.  My dad was miliray and growing up , thats all i pictured myself doing.  He likes to tell me that it was a calling and i had no choice but to answer.

paracowboy said:
in all honesty, I'm not sure I would anymore.

What are the alternatives?  Generally speaking we work with interesting, intelligent, fit people.  Our employer spends lots of cash to train us in both the technical and management (in civvy speak) aspects of our jobs. 

Outside of Fire Rescue and Police where you pay for your own basic training, I would be surprised if any employer spends 1/10th on it's people that the CF spends.  But then this is not just a job.  Maybe that is the appeal to us who join and stay.  If you're bored and working for idiots (and I hope you're not), trust me, ninety-ninety times out of a hundred it's no better on civvy street punching the same card and working for the same chinless mouth breather year after year.

That's my 25 cents.

c4th said:
What are the alternatives?  
has nothing to do with my CoC, until we get to the 'Leadership' at the Nat'l level, and the apathetic sheeple who keep them there. My dissatifaction is entirely with working for people with no honour, who insist on referring to me by the demeaning term "Peacekeeper".

But, this is an irrelevent aside to the topic.

paracowboy said:
has nothing to do with my CoC, until we get to the 'Leadership' at the Nat'l level, and the apathetic sheeple who keep them there. My dissatifaction is entirely with working for people with no honour, who insist on referring to me by the demeaning term "Peacekeeper".

AMEN

I correct the ill-informed by telling them that my occupation is 'Soldier', and that peacekeeping is a task, like sh_thole digging.  I also tell them I no more want to be called a peacekeeper than I do a sh_thole digger.  I want to be called a Soldier.

When pushed, I will admit that, at least with sh_thole digging, I accomplished a practical, well defined  mission in a timely and cost effective manner, with the added benefit of having the immediate gratification that comes with the sense of a job well done.  I cannot say the same about peacekeeping.

Tom

TCBF said:
I correct the ill-informed by telling them that my occupation is 'Soldier', and that peacekeeping is a task, like sh_thole digging.   I also tell them I no more want to be called a peacekeeper than I do a sh_thole digger.   I want to be called a Soldier.

When pushed, I will admit that, at least with sh_thole digging, I accomplished a practical, well defined   mission in a timely and cost effective manner, with the added benefit of having the immediate gratification that comes with the sense of a job well done.   I cannot say the same about peacekeeping.

Tom
    My eldest daughter came home from school one day in tears because she beleived I had lied to her.  She had thought that I was a soldier, but had been told by her teacher that we had "Peacekeepers" and didn't fight or shoot guns. We are soldiers, what we train to do is called war.  Sometimes we are sent to risk our lives to keep a "peace" that rarely exists, and try to carve our a little pocket of civilization that we protect with our guns until some politician declares the "peace" complete, and calls us home.  Sometimes we go to war, and leave a real peace behind when we leave. Soldier has become a dirty word, "Peacekeeper" implies looking stern, and shaking an admonishing finger, not patrols with LAV's and rifle platoons.  Soldier has always been a dirty word, and the last war was always the war to end all wars, until the next one comes.

hey guys, i have to agree with "go".  HARD CHARGERS!! I think that the world has changed drasticaly since 9/11, hence the war on terror and I think that young fellas want to be a part of that, but as facing a new enemy means new tactics and  also more unconventional means to bring the enemy down.  I bet if you asked or surveyed some youg fellas about what they would love to do in the army the most, the hard chargers would probably say JTF2. 

So why doesn't Canada try some sort of direct recruiting scheme for civies to provide them with an avenue into your special forces unit?  I live out here in Australia, and I came out here, because canada didn't offer anything good for the hard chargers, or the war on terror for civies who want a piece of the action if they got the goods.  worked for me, thats my opinion.

would have loved to stay in canada if something like that was available.

I'd have to throw in with Paracowboy and Go on this one.  If I was looking to start a military career now, I'd be thinking long and hard before I signed on the dotted line with the current state of things.

I've even been watching the CDS and the Chief of Cadets & Reserves on CPAC trying to find a reason to stay in any capacity, and once you get past the verbosity there's nothing really new in the pipeline, until the PMO and Cabinet get their priorities in order, which doesn't seem to be in the cards anytime soon.

badger4 said:
So why doesn't Canada try some sort of direct recruiting scheme for civies to provide them with an avenue into your special forces unit?   I live out here in Australia, and I came out here, because canada didn't offer anything good for the hard chargers, or the war on terror for civies who want a piece of the action if they got the goods.   worked for me, thats my opinion.

would have loved to stay in canada if something like that was available.

There is an avenue for civvies into the JTF. Join the regs, for a few yrs (or the reserves for longer) and apply like everyone else. No country of note allows civvies to apply directly to military SF units. If one truly has "the goods" it should'nt be that big a deal. ;)

Opportunities, pride, adventure (it's still there you just have to work a little harder to find it.)

The CF is what 'we' all make it.  The politicians and senior leaders provide (or not) the resources to do things, how we go about those things is a team effort that cannot be equalled in civilian life.  Unlimited liability has taken on a new meaning over the last few years for both civilian and military folks (fueled by the nightly news.)  I have been in for more than 20 years - has the CF changed - yes,in many ways and not all bad.

It is great to be part of a volunteer force, it is just that you volunteer to join - what you do and how long you stay may seem beyond your control.  Unfortunately, when you are paid to do volunteer work that may result in risk or even death, someone has take the responsibility for making life and death decisions.  If you want control then the CF may not be for you.  If you want to make difference in other people's lives daily then visit your local recruiting centre.  You may volunteer, but a country not at war is able to pick and choose who it 'needs' or "wants" to fill its vacancies.

Joined twice, now in second military occupation, had my education (Honours degree) paid for, used close to 500 paid holidays and earned over a million dollars so far (yes, I know the government took close to half back) - lived in Europe for 3 years with Foreign Service pay, visited all 10 provinces ( and lived in five so far), and souvenir-hunted in 10 European countries - not a bad for volunteer work.

I joined for many reasons, but mainly it's because I wanted to be a soldier. Everyday I go to work, play, whatever, I look at our privileged society and people and think; "Who will protect them and our way of life?"... I don't understand who WOULDN'T want to protect our people and our land and nation. I want to kill our nation's enemies and see the field of battle soaked red in anyone's blood who threatens Canada. Do I really want to go to war? NO! Will I if I ever have to. You bet your a$$ I will. Someone's got to do it! I wouldn't be able to stand-by and watch anything happen to our country, I'd have to be there.

I've wanted to join the Forces since... I think as far back I can remember, some of my friends joke around and say I was brain-washed by G.I. Joe, I say nope, that's American... I wanted to be a Canadian Soldier. A defender of our nation and people.

I love Canada, and I told the recruiter that. Nothing more, nothing less. I promised my blood, sweat and tears and I'll give them. If an enemy of Canada wants a pound of Her flesh, he'll have to eat through all 185lbs of this flesh first!  :threat:

As I've gotten older and settled down a bit (Engaged to my fiance, been together 4yrs this Sept), thought about things more, I've also decided I'll try for the civvy world first and try to become a police officer. To me, the reasons are the same. I'd be protecting our people (albeit from our people) and our way of life still. I'm a reservist at the moment and still have yet to pass the rest of my SQ (1/2 done) and BIQ this summer, but my mindset remains the same.

With everything that's wrong with Canada (hehe, image a thread about that!), there is so much that is great and cannot be ignored.

I'll be there to protect it.

:salute:

Back