• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why can't some civi's tell the diffenrce between cadet's and soldiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat ambiguous IMO but I know what you mean...its the way words such as these can be twisted that don't see things the same way you and I do.

8)

AlphaQup said:
Can you give us a picture for comparison? Being civvies and all...

Ok

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Royal_Canadian_Air_Cadets_marching.jpg
http://multimedia.simcoe.com/images/d3/8c/05640a9a44be8e735a8208ec3bb5.jpeg

and

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.army.gc.ca/lfwa/photos/AS2007-0547a_l.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.army.gc.ca/lfwa/feature_stampede_parade.htm&h=521&w=729&sz=342&hl=en&start=157&um=1&tbnid=W1aB2JkQZ0sl1M:&tbnh=101&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcanadian%2Binfantry%2Bcadpat%26start%3D144%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

You can usually tell the difference on uniform - and that one group looks like kids and one group looks like adults ..

General said:
You can usually tell the difference on uniform - and that one group looks like kids and one group looks like adults ..

Sorry but...most BMQ courses look like kids.  I've taught them.  The one on ground here now?  Kids.  They look like kids.

Eye In The Sky said:
Sorry but...most BMQ courses look like kids.  I've taught them.  The one on ground here now?  Kids.  They look like kids.

That's what happens when you get old.

I often get mistaken by a cadet as well, mostly because I look young.  I flew a Hawk in Calgary with an instructor a few months ago and a lady at the FBO (Airplane Gas Station for the non-AF Types) asked me : "So, is this a cadet plane in which you learn basics of flying?"  That was quite funny actually to see her face when I told her it's a Fighter Trainer...

Max

Greeting to all valued members and guests,

In Australia, the AACC (Australian Army Cadet Corps), have a blue identifiable patch which is worn on the shoulder to identify all cadets and Aussie 'CIC' officers as Cadets and not ARA/AGR Defence Force members. This is the same Army standard size rectangular patch found with velcro backing. It looks smart with crossed torched and gold writing.

Perhaps this patch system should be considered by DND to identify cadets form service members.

Aussie 'CIC' officers do not have a Queen's comission, its an appointment, even as a civvy, or as a Defence Force member, who is, for example a currently serving CPL or SGT or WO, can be a CAPT/MAJ etc in the 'CIC' for Cadet Corps purposes. At the end of the trg night, and beginning of his workday, he reverts to his normal worm rank.

Serenity now!

OWDU

Grow facial hair...go to the gym more....speak in a lower octave...

Then they might not mistake you.

Until then, there are much bigger things to worry about.

Just politely correct them and carry on with your day.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Perhaps this patch system should be considered by DND to identify cadets form service members.

Actually the cadet unit badge and the rank epauletts already have the word CADET on them.

But as many have said. The civilians aren't confusing Reserves with cadets, they thought greenjacket was a cadet most likely due to his youthful look.

I've met people who think "cadet" is the rank you have before private.

Pfff... come one now... all respectable Air Cadets or ex-Air Cadets know that the word CADET on our shoulders stood for:

Canadian
Air
Defence
Elite
Team

To the OP, just be professional, courteous and understanding. Explain to them their mistake, take the chance to educate them not in a condescending way, but in a nice and police way. They'll take that knowledge and the next time their friends or family or some idiot says "look it's the Cadets" when the local militia marches by on Remembrance Day they'll correct them. The world is a better place.

Failing that, ignore it and carry on.

lucia_engel said:
Actually the cadet unit badge and the rank epauletts already have the word CADET on them.

But as many have said. The civilians aren't confusing Reserves with cadets, they thought greenjacket was a cadet most likely due to his youthful look.

Actually Lucia, with a patch like this one below which is sewn onto the shoulder of DPCU uniforms, and also on Poly dress uniforms (cadets have no distict uniform, they wear the same as us soldiers in the field or not), there would be less confusion with patches like this, and maybe a liitle more Esprit du Corps perhaps.

I am aware of slip-ons the Cadet movement uses, and thought CADPAT ones were not authorised.

As for the confusion between RCACC, Militia pers, what about Regular Force pers? Yes, they too can be 17 too. Frankly I've see many young looking soldiers both Reserve and Regular (and older looking cadets), and I was one myself once.

Regards from paradise.

OWDU

Regards,

Actually, even though the cadet's uniforms differ GREATLY from ours, the CIC's (cadet instructors) do not. They wear exactly what we reg and res wear. Also, to the poster who mentioned that the flashes had "cadet" on them - some do, some don't. Depends on the unit, corps or sqn.

I'll just point this out.

gwp said:
The poster who said because you are young ... has it nailed.

For example:
Right now there are 70 candidates on the Raven Aboriginal Youth Employment Program.  Of the 70, less than a dozen are over 19.  The average age is 17.  

With 'youth' being in the name of the program, I wouldn't expect a great deal to be over 19.  ;)

Midget

BinRat55 said:
Actually, even though the cadet's uniforms differ GREATLY from ours, the CIC's (cadet instructors) do not. They wear exactly what we reg and res wear.
That is because the the CIC is a branch of the Canadian Forces and a sub-component of the CF Reserve.  Its members are commissioned officers of the Canadian Forces with the same responsibility and direction from the sovereign to do their duty (within their area of employment) as any other member of the CF.

The Cadet Instructor Cadre is the largest officer occupation in the Canadian Forces and will celebrate its centennial in 2009.  It is the corps of CF personnel that deliveres and supervises the cadet program in Canada as directed by the National Defence Act. 

Also, to the poster who mentioned that the flashes had "cadet" on them - some do, some don't. Depends on the unit, corps or sqn.
Army Cadets wear a large patch with a maple leaf that says RCAC.
The Air and Sea Cadet Shoulder Flash both say Royal Canadian xxx Cadets.
It's no different than expecting individuals to know the difference between the PPCLI and the Medical Branch. People just don't pay attention to the detail.

gwp said:
That is because the the CIC is a branch of the Canadian Forces and a sub-component of the CF Reserve.  Its members are commissioned officers of the Canadian Forces with the same responsibility and direction from the sovereign to do their duty (within their area of employment) as any other member of the CF.

Not to start this up again, but it is a problem caused by the lack of "Dress and Deportment" of some individuals, to include haircuts and shaving, not just the way they wear a uniform, that has created many of the problems that this topic is addressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back