• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why aren't Civilian Justice and Mil Justice tied together closer

putz said:
I like how I never said anything about patrol MP laying the charges.....  But the inability for Detatchment MP to lay charges is a different conversation that has been covered repeatedly.  But hey thanks for the lesson.... /end sarcasm

Hmmmm, let me look back for a second.  Nope, don't see any place in which you make a distinction.  In fact, you distinctly state "MP" which by its vary definition includes Detachment MP as well as those assigned to the NIS.  In fact, the way you used it you could also have been refering to reserve MP but  I at least gave you that much benefit of the doubt.  Perhaps I wasnt generous enough.

Yep. still don't see where I said anything about MP laying charges.  I said that MP get told to proceed with CSD instead of Criminal Code.  Last time I checked when you write a GO you include the CSD offences in it.

As a neutral party to this conversation, I would like to point out (AND THANK YOU) that this thread is a great read!!!

I think I'm picking up a lot of knowledge here.  I too actually have always been curious as to the major differences between CSD and the CCC (Criminal Code of Canada).  Please continue with the discussion so I may continue to absorb this great info!!!

dapaterson said:
I fear you are putting concepts into Letourneau's mouth that are not there.  Nowhere does he deny the need for a system of military justice.

I never said that he did. Genereux validated the constitutionality of a separate military justice system and Letourneau accepted that (He has little choice).

dapaterson said:
In the quote he speaks exclusively of "a serious ordinary criminal law offence, committed entirely in civilian-like circumstances".  Section 11(f) of the charter provides cover for a military tribunal, dealing with a military charge, but as has been reiterated in Moriarty there must be a military nexus for a s130 charge.  Hardly a reactionary idea that, when acting outside their capacity as soldiers, soldiers are in fact citizens, and deserve to be treated as such.

It's obvious that he was talking about a "serious criminal law offence" because the issue of a jury trial really only applies to serious offences.

Where the problem comes in is the issue of "in civilian-like circumstances". I think in his article, Letourneau was overreacting to the Reddick decision. Moriarity does a good job of explaining its limitation. But I'm not here to argue military nexus one way or the other.

My problem is that Letourneau (in the article that you cite and which I recall I threw into another thread as a backgrounder on nexus) is fast and loose with his language.

Take a look at the opening paragraph where he says "Contrary to France, for example, where the jurisdiction of military tribunals is limited to times of war and offences committed abroad by French soldiers, military courts in Canada, even in peacetime, have concurrent jurisdiction with civilian courts over ordinary criminal law offences."

In Part 4 starting at page 13 he points to the "rights" which soldiers lose within the military justice system: the "constitutional right to a trial by jury . . ."; the right to a preliminary inquiry; differing rules of evidence; different arrest and detention provisions; differing sentencing provisions.

What Letourneau has done is to take a paper on "The Status of Military Nexus" and gone off on a tangent about how the system denies rights to soldiers. If the paper had been one wherein which he discussed the pros and cons of the two systems and the rationale behind the differences then one could have respected it. But he didn't do that - he just threw them into a discussion about nexus with the intention that the reader just presume that these differences are bad in and of themselves. In my mind that is both lazy and dishonest legal argument and shows his bias against the existing scope of the military justice system.

The only point I was making before is that you cannot honestly say that a soldier is "deprived of the constitutional right to a trial by jury" when the constitution itself (by way of s 11(f) of the Charter) provides for a differing military justice system. To this point in time, The Supreme Court has reviewed the system several times and, while it has found issues (some major ones) that required fine tuning, overall it has accepted the military justice system using courts martial instead of juries as fully constitutional. Soldiers are being treated constitutionally differently but they have not been "deprived" of a constitutional right.

:cheers:

I think we differ on our interpretation of 11(f):

11. Any person charged with an offence has the right
(f) except in the case of an offence under military law tried before a military tribunal, to the benefit of trial by jury where the maximum punishment for the offence is imprisonment for five years or a more severe punishment

Is s130 "military law"?  That's the fundamental question; while it is included in the CSD, it has the potential to be vastly overreaching.  And thus, if abused, s130 has the potential to deny 11(f) rights - since it could see an offence that is only tenuously related to the military tried before a military tribunal by virtue of its inclusion under the wide-ranging nature of s130.

Moriarty does attempt to inject some common sense, and does understand that an excessively proscriptive replacement for s130 would not work.

The military justice system is fine and constitutional for military offences.  The degree to which s130 specific offences are military in nature is where potential problems lie.

And if Letourneau does tend to go on about that a wee little bit, there are far worse areas for people to fixate upon...

dapaterson said:
I think we differ on our interpretation of 11(f):

11. Any person charged with an offence has the right
(f) except in the case of an offence under military law tried before a military tribunal, to the benefit of trial by jury where the maximum punishment for the offence is imprisonment for five years or a more severe punishment

Is s130 "military law"?  That's the fundamental question; while it is included in the CSD, it has the potential to be vastly overreaching.  And thus, if abused, s130 has the potential to deny 11(f) rights - since it could see an offence that is only tenuously related to the military tried before a military tribunal by virtue of its inclusion under the wide-ranging nature of s130.

Moriarty does attempt to inject some common sense, and does understand that an excessively proscriptive replacement for s130 would not work.

The military justice system is fine and constitutional for military offences.  The degree to which s130 specific offences are military in nature is where potential problems lie.

And if Letourneau does tend to go on about that a wee little bit, there are far worse areas for people to fixate upon...

There is really no question that s 130 is "military law". Moriarity is specifically about that and is only the most recent of many cases that acknowledges that. If you think s 130 has the "potential to be vastly overreaching" then read s 132 sometime and start a discussion group as to whether shari'a law would be included.  :stirpot:

I really don't think that there is any great controversy within the police or prosecution arms of the Forces as to when and how s 130 should be used. Where I see the issue coming from is in the numerous Pleas in Bar of Trial that are being continuously brought by defence counsel in order to avoid a trial. Moriarity is a perfect example of two people who on the facts were clearly guilty of the crimes and turned to lame attempts (IMHO) to escape the consequences of their acts.

One thing that scoffers of the military justice system frequently gloss over is that the CF provides free legal counsel to individuals who would never qualify for legal aid in a civilian court. The downside of having no cost restraints and having as many defence counsel as we do and as few trials as we have is that the lawyers have entirely too much time to dream up and argue fanciful Charter challenges.

FJAG said:
... The downside of having no cost restraints and having as many defence counsel as we do and as few trials as we have is that the lawyers have entirely too much time to dream up and argue fanciful Charter challenges.

Sadly, it isn't just defence counsel who fall into this trap; I have been privileged to know a few RMP who felt they had to cover each and every possible challenge to a charge, no matter how remote, before they were comfortable to move forward to CM, leading to a lot of wasted time and effort by us being used as their personal investigative service to chase rainbows.

garb811 said:
Sadly, it isn't just defence counsel who fall into this trap; I have been privileged to know a few RMP who felt they had to cover each and every possible challenge to a charge, no matter how remote, before they were comfortable to move forward to CM, leading to a lot of wasted time and effort by us being used as their personal investigative service to chase rainbows.

Agreed.  I've even had one (I suspect one of the ones you are talking about) who would only consider a charge when he viewed it as a "slam dunk" which would result in every little potential defence argument being run to ground by investigators, no matter how unlikely.  I'm not talking elements or offence facts as much as all the "what ifs" he could come up with.  Pretty soon investigators would start to schedule their consultations for the times his partner was in the office so they wouldn't need to deal with that particular RMP.  He had forgotten that the phrase "trying a case" has multiple connotations.

Schindler's Lift said:
Agreed.  I've even had one (I suspect one of the ones you are talking about) who would only consider a charge when he viewed it as a "slam dunk" which would result in every little potential defence argument being run to ground by investigators, no matter how unlikely.  I'm not talking elements or offence facts as much as all the "what ifs" he could come up with.  Pretty soon investigators would start to schedule their consultations for the times his partner was in the office so they wouldn't need to deal with that particular RMP.  He had forgotten that the phrase "trying a case" has multiple connotations.

Not at all.  He was making those cases very trying...

dapaterson said:
Not at all.  He was making those cases very trying...

I'm sure that if we all compared names we would be speaking of the same two or three pers.

upandatom said:
[t]he DUI (MPs pulled member over 5 min later after the original call) was never pushed forward either. All the person ended with was C&P and a $2000 fine....

Which is to me disgusting....

Actually, from what I read in the local paper (Kingston Whig-Standard) a fine is pretty normal for a first time impaired charge, and usually under $2,000.00.

Schindler's Lift said:
I'm sure that if we all compared names we would be speaking of the same two or three pers.

I'll make that unanimous although I think "two or three" is an understatement.

Risk aversion is rampant in the system

I'll get back to what I said before; there are far too many defence counsel AND prosecutors for the number of cases we have in the system.

In the civilian courts, the average prosecutor appearing on the "daily" remand docket has more files in his arms than DND handles in a year.

Back