• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who'll be the next CDS? Speculation here, please!!

LGen Leslie does not like the .COM structure that has been imposed by the CDS.
Good chance that CAN.COM, CEF.COM and CANSOF.COM would all be targeted for review/replacement if the CLS moved up to CDS.
The previous CLS (Caron) didn't like being put on the sideline by the CDS when the .COMs were implemented.  Leslie has been bucking the system from day 1..... even though he knew exactly what he was getting into when he accepted the position. (go figure)

Gen Natynczyk has a similar background to the current CDS and would probably pursue / continue the policies that Gen Hillier has initiated.

From a personal perspective, if I were a betting man, my nod would go to Natynczyk...

Infidel-6 said:
+1

Leslies' HATE ON for CANSOF makes him a liability wrt COIN ops in Afghan, and elsewhere - that and his general dislike of the other elements make it unlikely for him to go futher.

Good Lord. That's madness. Why would any General 'hate' these types of organizations? It's too bad...

Further speculation (note the author):
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/defencewatch/archive/2007/12/22/general-hillier-intends-on-staying-in-the-job.aspx
One view is that Gen.Hillier will last at least another two years before Air Force Commander Lt.-Gen. Angus Watt is selected for the position of CDS.

But if Watt is to ever assume the CDS mantle, he’ll have to get used to being in the public eye and dealing with politicians and the media, something Gen. Hillier has excelled in. The result of Gen. Hillier’s efforts has been an unprecedented period of largely positive media coverage and political approval for large-scale equipment purchases.

It might be still too early to suggest a successor. A lot of things can happen in the meantime and it is the government, after all, who will decide who will be the next CDS.

And, of course, I wouldn’t rule out Army commander Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie who has been eyeing the job for many years. Lt.-Gen. Leslie is smooth with the politicos as well as possessing media savvy. Like it or not, these are attributes seen as necessary to be a successful CDS these days.

Mark
Ottawa

daftandbarmy said:
Good Lord. That's madness. Why would any General 'hate' these types of organizations? It's too bad...

Tongue in cheek right ? ;D

My hope is that it goes to Gen. Natynczyk  As the VCDS he has done good things and the rank and file of the CF view him in the same light  as Hillier. Gen Leslie dislike for CANSOF is well known I think because it's less warm bodies he can throw into the line, but then again conventional Generals rarely grasp what SF unots bring to the table unless they themselves have been in SF ( Gen Schwarzkopf disliked SF units till Gen La Pellier I believe himself fomer SAS pushed for the inclusion of them in the batlle plan).

I hope Hillier stays on for a bit yet myself but when he does go I am ope Walt steps into his shoes

One thing all of us have to realize is that this is not about popularity. It does not matter a rat's behind whether this guy is popular with the troops or the country or whatever...this is totally political. Gen Hillier made his mark by appealing to the Government of the day...which happened to be the Martin Liberals...he has proved to be popular with the rank and file and that is a bonus for the present Government (from time to time). They will not choose the next guy on whether he looks good in the media or if he is "your favorite" believe me.

Its his popularity with the nation and the military that the PM should embrace rather than to fight the CDS by stealth.

tomahawk6 said:
Its his popularity with the nation and the military that the PM should embrace rather than to fight the CDS by stealth.

Tomahawk....this is the first CDS in living memory who has ever made any headway with popular opinion in Canada. Most Canadians don't even know we have an Armed Forces...believe me. When I joined the Navy in the late 70's my friends were astounded that we even had a Navy! For most people in Central Canada they don't care from one day to the other whether we have an Armed Forces or not. The average yuppie in Toronto...the vast majority of our voters...think that we are neutral and pacifist when it comes to nasty things like war and agressive actions against terrorists. They'll all gladly vote Bob Rae into office next spring and hope that we return to wearing blue helmets...the sooner the cheaper.  :rage:

Last all round popular CDS prior to Hillier?  Jaydex? (Dextraze)

Well, I am an average Canadian, and soldier of 14 years... I can barely recite 2 of the last CDSs'.  General Hillier has certainly made his mark, and I would applaud another year or two from him. 

As for General Leslie, I have seen him as Bg Comd and he seems to have done a fine job with that, but otherwise I have no opinion

I'll be quite surprised if the next CDS doesn't come from either the Navy or Air Force.

X Royal said:
I'll be quite surprised if the next CDS doesn't come from either the Navy or Air Force.

I'll be quite surprised if the Government which appoints the next CDS pays much attention to this particular thread.

Gen Natynczyk's Iraq experience and the fact that he's the same MOC as Gen Hillier might make the difference.  I think Gen. Leslie might connect with the civie's and politicians better though, especially if Gen Natynczk is still saying 'y'all' from his time in Texas.

Future_Soldier said:
Iraq experience?

Check his bio.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dsa/app_Bio/engraph/FSeniorOfficerBiographyViewBiling_e.asp?mAction=View&mBiographyID=307

"LGen Natynczyk attended the U.S. Army War College and was subsequently appointed Deputy Commanding General, III Corps and Fort Hood. In January 2004, he deployed with III Corps to Baghdad, Iraq, serving first as the Deputy Director of Strategy, Policy and Plans and subsequently as the Deputy Commanding General of the Multi-National Corps (Iraq)."

I see a lot of comments here on how "Army centric" LGen Leslie is.  Well, he is the Chief of LAND Staff, so I hope he is Army Centric!

kincanucks said:
Check his bio. http://www.forces.gc.ca/dsa/app_Bio/engraph/FSeniorOfficerBiographyViewBiling_e.asp?mAction=View&mBiographyID=307

"LGen Natynczyk attended the U.S. Army War College and was subsequently appointed Deputy Commanding General, III Corps and Fort Hood. In January 2004, he deployed with III Corps to Baghdad, Iraq, serving first as the Deputy Director of Strategy, Policy and Plans and subsequently as the Deputy Commanding General of the Multi-National Corps (Iraq)."

Since Gen Hillier was the first Cdn Gen to serve in this capacity at Fort Hood and Gen Natynczyk the second came through the same MOC/career progression and III Corps is "unofficially known Armoured or Calvary Corps" does any of this make a big difference to this discussion. One could argue that LGen Leslie lacks the Iraq experience for now.  It is certainly a good international/coalition flavour for resume when it goes before the PM.

The third man to serve in this capacity is MGen P. Devlin (RCR), he is/was one of the 2 Deputy Commanders of III Corps in Iraq.

It seems to me that Gen. Natynczyk's role in Iraq might make him rather controversial politically, and amongst our punditry and certain academics.  I think it would take real guts for the Conservatives to appoint him; the Liberals surely would not.

Mark
Ottawa

BF1 said:
I see a lot of comments here on how "Army centric" LGen Leslie is.  Well, he is the Chief of LAND Staff, so I hope he is Army Centric!

Yes that's a good thing when you're CLS but not when you're the CDS. If the attitude as CDS is that the other 2 branchs of the CF are simply there to get the Army where they need to go you will diminish the overall capacity of the organization. We still have one of the longest coastlines in the world to defend and Naval and Air assests have to be utilized for that....guys in CADPAT and rubber boats won't quite cut it I'm afraid.

Back