• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who'll be the next CDS? Speculation here, please!!

And Peter Worthington adds his opinion in a piece from the Sun newspapers reproduced under the Fair Dealing provision of the Copyright Act.

Military man: Leslie a good — and logical — choice for next defence chief

By Peter Worthington,QMI Agency
First posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 08:00 PM EDT

The scramble is on in the military for the next chief of defence staff — the highest rank in our military and the one who commands, controls, administers the Canadian Forces, and implements the government’s defence policies.

Gen. Walt Natynczyk has held the post since mid-2008, succeeding Gen. Rick Hillier who, arguably, was our most colourful, outspoken and dynamic CDS. In the public’s mind, Hillier personified our military’s achievements in Afghanistan.

A former deputy commander of the U.S. Army’s III Corps in Iraq, under Natynczyk as CDS Canada’s role in Afghanistan was ratcheted down, the DND budget was trimmed, DND staff due to be culled, future missions restricted. This wasn’t Natynczyk’s doing — it’s government policy for him to administer.

Three years is about the average term for a CDS — a role instigated in 1964 to speak for and co-ordinate the commanders of the navy, army and air force.

And speculation is rife among the three services as to who is most likely to be the next CDS.

A couple of admirals, several army generals and an air force general are mentioned as possible candidates, but in these harsh economic times of cutbacks and the need for updated equipment, it seems the one most qualified to be CDS may be Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, former chief of land staff, who was subsequently chief of transformation of the Canadian Forces.

Leslie retired last fall but, like Gen. John de Chastelain before him, could be seconded out of retirement to be CDS. Leslie’s report — recommending changes and efficiencies in the Forces without affecting performance — worried the military but was popular with the PM, who is economizing every way he can.

Although there would be miffed feelings — even resentment — among contenders for the CDS job, it’s pretty hard to argue against Leslie’s credentials.

He was bypassed for CDS when Hillier and Natynczyk got the job, but he’s served as a commander in Afghanistan, as well as in the Balkans, and on paper seems a natural.

Critics point out that the CDS job traditionally is rotated through the three services, but that’s not quite true. Both Hillier and Natynczyk were army — both Armoured Corps. Leslie is a gunner — former CO of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.

Canada’s penchant for rotating command for political purposes resulted in disaster when instead of appointing the most qualified officer to command the Airborne Regiment when it went on a UN Chapter Seven (fighting) mission to Somalia, political considerations demanded that an inexperienced colonel from the Van Doos get the job.

A Princess Pats commander was the logical choice, but it was the Van Doos’ turn. The outcome was the torture death of a Somali civilian and an inquiry that resulted in the Airborne Regiment being disbanded.

In 1983-89, an air force general succeeded another air force general as CDS, and then, of course Natyncyzk followed Hillier, 2005-12. The last admiral to hold the post was Larry Murray (1996-97), and the last air force CDS was Ray Henault (2001-05).

Whoever becomes the new CDS is going to have a thankless job of ensuring the military remains effective despite an insufficient budget, limited updated equipment and with reduced numbers in the Canadian Forces.

It’s a daunting task, but one that Gen. Leslie seems to have anticipated in his report, so perhaps he is a logical choice for the job.

Door #1 - Air Force or Door #2 Navy. Its a long shot IMO that they would pick another Army GO. The US has begun to shift assets to the Pacific and Canada may go that route as well.

I think that this whole discussion speaks more to how shallow the pool of potential successors are who would want the job at this post-Afghanistan, budget-slashing juncture.

Including the caveat of who may be deemed politically tainted simply by virtue of their uniform colour, given the current media hate-on for the F-35.

Edit: slight modification

tomahawk6 said:
Door #1 - Air Force or Door #2 Navy. Its a long shot IMO that they would pick another Army GO. The US has begun to shift assets to the Pacific and Canada may go that route as well.

Entirely doubtful that Canada will shift any forces, mostly due to political reasons.  The R22eR will NEVER leave Quebec, nor any element of 5 Bde.  1 Bde is firmly entrenched in the west, and the RCR in the east.  Air bases will almost guaranteed stay static, with Trenton being transport as its central and close to Ottawa, the fighters n Bagotville staying in Quebec, and Cold Lake staying put.  I couldn't even see ships moving from east to west coast as that would mean pulling money out of the Have not Nova Scotia economy and into the BC economy.

I think the press is on to something.  Maybe the CF does need to reach out to a former gunner, no longer in the public eye, but for who the Canadian public has a deep, long-lasting affection.  One who was not afraid to call it as he saw it.  One who clearly demonstrated that he could work as part of a team, but who also stood out amongst his peers.

It is time for Don Ferguson, of the Royal Canadian Air Farce's Chicken Cannon, to be named the next CDS.

farce6.jpg

(Yes, I know there may be some work to do in rebuilding bridges with The RCR.  Such is the life of a CDS.)

dapaterson said:
I think the press is on to something.  Maybe the CF does need to reach out to a former gunner, no longer in the public eye, but for who the Canadian public has a deep, long-lasting affection.  One who was not afraid to call it as he saw it.  One who clearly demonstrated that he could work as part of a team, but who also stood out amongst his peers.

It is time for Don Ferguson, of the Royal Canadian Air Farce's Chicken Cannon, to be named the next CDS.

(Yes, I know there may be some work to do in rebuilding bridges with The RCR.  Such is the life of a CDS.)

I second the nomination.

dapaterson said:

farce6.jpg

[tangent]
I hated the way they wore our uniforms. Especially when they decided to wear CADPAT well in advance of issue to most troops. You'd think that after all those years, someone would show them how to wear a beret.

It was a great show while on radio. It sucked as soon as it went on tv.
[/tangent]

edit for clarity

recceguy said:
[tangent]
I hated the way they wore our uniforms. Especially when they decided to wear CADPAT well in advance of issue to most troops. You'd think that after all those years, someone would show them how to wear a beret.

It was a great show while on radio. It sucked as soon as it went on tv.
[/tangent]

So let me understand.

A/The key criterion for the selection of the CDS is the stylish manner in which he/she wears the head-dress?

In that case I'll throw my hat in the ring and promise to learn how to wear it after a suitable breaking in period.

Mind, I've always had a preference for Glengarries and Balmorals.

Kirkhill said:
So let me understand.

A/The key criterion for the selection of the CDS is the stylish manner in which he/she wears the head-dress?

In that case I'll throw my hat in the ring and promise to learn how to wear it after a suitable breaking in period.

Mind, I've always had a preference for Glengarries and Balmorals.

I was talking about the twits on the Air Farce.

I'll edit my original.

I was trying to be humorous and failed....

Par for the course.

Then again, LGen Devlin's beret looks a tad misshapen too.

And he does bear an uncanny resemblance to Mike.  From Canmore.

dapaterson said:

Thanks, now I have to clean my keyboard.  :nod:  I've had a hard time figuring out who it was exactly he reminded me of, and now you've given it to me!

dapaterson said:

You, sir, are brilliant.

Bang on!

Well he could always come back as a reserve annuitant...oh wait.

.... according to this media account
There are strong signals that Canada's chief of defence staff is on the verge of leaving his post.

While speaking to Canadian Forces troops taking part in annual summer exercises up north, both Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Defence Minister Peter MacKay sounded like they were bidding farewell to Gen. Walt Natynczyk.

Harper cut away from his prepared remarks at the close of Operation Nanook to thank Natynczyk for his years of service.

And after Harper's speech, MacKay took the podium to publicly salute Natynczyk's dedication to the military before calling the general up to say a few words of his own ....

Jim Seggie said:
I have no idea who he is. Anyone got a bio on him?

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dsa-dns/sa-ns/ab/sobv-vbos-eng.asp?mAction=View&mBiographyID=529

From his bio:

Lieutenant-General Thomas J. Lawson is the Deputy Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado.
LGen Lawson graduated from the Royal Military College (RMC) of Canada with a Degree in Electrical Engineering in 1979. He completed wings and fighter training and was posted to 421 Squadron in Baden, Germany, in 1981, where he flew the CF-104 Starfighters. Back in Canada in 1985, he completed a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering with RMC and served as a professor.

Promoted to Major in 1988, LGen Lawson was posted to Montgomery, Alabama, to attend the USAF Staff College. During that time, he also completed a Master's Degree in Public Administration at Auburn University.

Posted to Cold Lake in 1991, LGen Lawson completed CF-18 Hornet training and then returned to CFB Baden to fly operationally with 421 and 439 Squadrons. Upon closure of Baden, he was posted to Cold Lake and was assigned to 410 Squadron in charge of the Fighter Weapons Instructor School.

In 1996, LGen Lawson was promoted to LCol and posted to Ottawa as a career manager. In 1998, he was appointed CO of 412 Squadron where he flew the Challenger until 2000. Following this command, he was placed in charge of the career management for the Air Force, at which time he also completed the USAF Air War College Program.

Promoted Colonel in 2003, LGen Lawson held various staff positions with the Air Force before joining the CF Transformation Team in 2005 and leading the stand up of the Strategic Joint Staff. Posted to 8 Wing in 2006, he completed a year in command of CFB Trenton before being promoted to BGen in May 2007 and appointed Commandant of RMC.

In 2009, he was promoted to MGen and appointed Assistant Chief of the Air Staff. In July 2011, he was promoted to his current rank and appointed Deputy Commander NORAD.

Back