• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who here has a Cadet Medal, what is it, and what did you have to do to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK 2332 piper. i said the sight SEEMS boyscoutish but the young Marines are NOT

i have nothing against boyscouts. i was a beaver and a cub about 10 years ago or so.

As was I, so I speak with justification as well, or at least a personal opinion that I feel I can support.

Okay I guess we are sorta trailing off topic here... lol lets get back to: Who here has a Cadet Medal, what is it, and what did you have to do to get it?

anyone know anyone who has the good ol' medal or bravery?  :p

ok ive read some posts about people "applying" for their medals...you do not "apply" for your medal, you must be recommended by your senior cadets and officers and then awarded the medal based on your conduct and qualifications as a cadet. it ticks me off when people go and "apply" fora medal thinking they will get it

as for the young marines posts: everyone must remember that they view their ribbons as qualifications. much like we sew our qualifications on to the sleeves of our uniforms, they wear theirs on their chest. i agree it does clutter the left breast pocket, and diminish the value of true medals, but it is their system, so dont bash it until youve tried it

and getting back on topic, yes i do know a cadet who has been awarded the cadet medal of bravery, and i feel he completely deserved it

as for myself, i have been awarded the Legion Medal of Excellence, back in may 2002, and by no means is it (or the Lord Strathcona Medal) meant to be awarded to the RSM of the unit, it goes to the most deserving cadet, no matter their rank or age (provided they meet the requirements)

i am elligible for the Army Cadet Service Medal (with 1 bar) as of October 2004, my CO put in the application in december, and i am still waiting on it...im really hoping i will get it and mount it before the ACR, but we will have to wait and see. i believe only a handful of cadets in all of BC have been presented with it so far

ouyin2000 said:
i am elligible for the Army Cadet Service Medal (with 1 bar) as of October 2004, my CO put in the application in december, and i am still waiting on it...im really hoping i will get it and mount it before the ACR, but we will have to wait and see. i believe only a handful of cadets in all of BC have been presented with it so far
We got our Army Cadet Service Medals in Februrary ... the bars came in on Wed but were sent in a regular envelope and arrived to us broken.   One of my MWOs applied in Feb and got his medal last Wed.

ouyin2000 said:
as for myself, i have been awarded the Legion Medal of Excellence, back in may 2002, and by no means is it (or the Lord Strathcona Medal) meant to be awarded to the RSM of the unit, it goes to the most deserving cadet, no matter their rank or age (provided they meet the requirements)
Just to add on that ... I got my Legion Medal of Excellence when I was 15.

Back onto topic here ... I knew of a cadet that had it, but she is aged out and is now a CIC Officer.

We handed out our 5 service medals last Thursday. Bars are yet to arrive, but they don't look as bad as I thought they would on the uniform.  :p As our Legion Rep said, it is a privilege to wear this because only the Army Cadet League adopted the medals so far, and I feel they carry a great purpose with them.

ouyin2000 said:
and getting back on topic, yes i do know a cadet who has been awarded the cadet medal of bravery, and i feel he completely deserved it

Elaborate...

i would rather not, as i don't know the full details of what he had to do...there used to be a press release on the Pac Region website, but i cannt seem to locate it anymore

LORD STRATHACONA= a bunch of push ups, sit ups, chin ups, and a 4 mile run..

Please tell me that's now how you achieved the Lord Strathcona?   ???

http://ww2.isys.ca/army/lsm.html

Hey I can post here now ! .....Lord Strathcona Medal, all I had to do was show up for annual and i got it... ???....didn't apply for it or anything....but i got it hehe... ;D

WO2_mandal said:
Hey I can post here now ! .....Lord Strathcona Medal, all I had to do was show up for annual and i got it... ???....didn't apply for it or anything....but i got it hehe... ;D
I also received the Lord Strathcona Medal this year.

WO Saorse said:
Please tell me that's now how you achieved the Lord Strathcona?   ???

Saorse some Cadet Regions require you to do a physical fitness test to be able to recieve the medal, in addition to fitting the other criteria.

"Lord Strathcona's objectives in establishing his endowment were to:

(1) encourage the improvement of the physical and intellectual capabilities of cadets; and

(2) foster patriotism in cadets through the acquisition of a good knowledge of military matters."

You can see why they have the physical fitness requirements.

GunnerySgtHartman said:
LORD STRATHACONA= a bunch of push ups, sit ups, chin ups, and a 4 mile run..
You seem pretty smug for someone with 4 posts.

Quite to the contrary,

One who has not proven themselves should not seek to chip away at the pavement under them with smug posts.

He is just posting what his medal is and how he got it. Exactly what the title is.

If there was anything wrong with his post it's his spelling and grammar. It's not necessary to pounce on a small post like that. Also I do not see how you believe he seems "pretty smug".

GGHG_Cadet said:
Saorse some Cadet Regions require you to do a physical fitness test to be able to recieve the medal, in addition to fitting the other criteria.

"Lord Strathcona's objectives in establishing his endowment were to:

(1) encourage the improvement of the physical and intellectual capabilities of cadets; and

(2) foster patriotism in cadets through the acquisition of a good knowledge of military matters."

You can see why they have the physical fitness requirements.

It just appears as if that's all that's involved in the medal, the way he says it. That certainly is not it!  :p

Yes I know what you are saying. He probably didn't know about the other criteria and he only participated in the physical fitness test run by his region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back