• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who here has a Cadet Medal, what is it, and what did you have to do to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but my Squadron is very strict and doesn't give medals out like candy. I have only witnessed one medal being awarded and that was to my chief for Excellence. I am sure that you have to tell them some how because how will they know what you did (i.e Terry Fox run, RCL Poppy Drive? So would would be the appropriate method? Letter?

Foxtwo,

Some corps/squadrons are strict about medals. That being said, use your chain of command.

Get a copy of the CATO and make sure that you meet all the prerequisites. (I posted links to the CATO in a previous response.)

Tell your section or platoon leader that you have done something special or feel you meet the prerequisites and ask that the information get passed up the chain.

Duke

That's an excellent idea. Thanks Duke. I do meet all the prereqs for the RCL Medal of Excellence

*Medal link added to FAQ .. Thanks Duke*

i have the legion medal and the lord strat, my oc did all the paper work for me to get them.
about the bravery medal is also a reg force metal you can carry it over

chimo

Oh cool. I better keep my eye open and try to save some lives. (lol just joking)

Duke said:
http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/1316B_b.pdf (Bravery)
http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/1316D1_b.pdf (Strathcona)
http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/1316E_b.pdf (Legion)

http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/1316D1_b.pdf (Strathcona)

that one doesn't give too much info on how you are eligible to get it. Anyone here know another link or can tell the the prereqs?

- 3 letters of reference from community service
- 3 years Cadet service
- 1 six-week summer course attended
- 75% corps training attendance

May be others: I remember reading that you could not be below Silver Star: that may have changed.

Try this link for the Strathcona Medal:

http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/1316D_b.pdf

Prerequisites = selection criteria

Duke

Does anyone have or know of someone that has the MGEN W A Howard award? Its a medal given to a deserving candidate drawn from the top three NSCE in the province. I've applied for it, but some of the prerequesits look a little iffy, particularly the "must have been in for 3 years minimum"

Any insider information would be great. No quoting CATOs need.

rifle_team_captain_13 said:
Does anyone have or know of someone that has the MGEN W A Howard award? Its a medal given to a deserving candidate drawn from the top three NSCE in the province. I've applied for it, but some of the prerequesits look a little iffy, particularly the "must have been in for 3 years minimum"

Any insider information would be great. No quoting CATOs need.

I have met several people that have received the MGen W A Howard medal.  It's awarded to the cadet with the top NSCE marks in each province (provided they meet the other prerequisites).   In my opinion, the other prerequisites are there to ensure that the cadet has dedicated a fair amount of time to cadets, achieved a high standard on the NSCE and that they are a good cadet overall.

I received it in 2002 for NB, and at the time I was made aware that you must also have at least an overall average of 85%. Is this the same nationwide or is it only a local thing?(maritimes that is.)

85% on your first attempt at NSCE. The rest of the details are in the CATO, attached below.

http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/4702_b.pdf

It looks like being in the top 3 for NSCE is just one of the prerequisites along with Cadet Service (3 Years), conduct, academics etc.

Duke

b. a recipient of the Royal Canadian Legion
Cadet Medal of Excellence, the Navy
League of Canada Cadet Award of
Commendation, or the Navy League of
Canada Award of Excellence shall not be
awarded the Lord Strathcona Medal in the
same training year;

Does that mean I cannot apply for the Royal Canadian Legion
Cadet Medal of Excellence and Lord Strathcona Medal in the
same training year? Or can I do both and recieve one next year, and the one after that?

In my opinion, the other prerequisites are there to ensure that the cadet has dedicated a fair amount of time to cadets, achieved a high standard on the NSCE and that they are a good cadet overall.
I've dedicated alot of time to the corps, even though i've only been in for 2 yrs 5 months...But it does make sense to set prerequesites. I'm just peeved cuz i'm so close to 3 yrs, and i did relatively well on NSCE with about 93 overall, and...well, i'm not gonna call myself a good cadet cuz i can't judge myself... i've been told i do a pretty excellent job, and my academics look pretty impressive too.

I wonder if there's a governing body i can appeal to or something?

Does that mean I cannot apply for the Royal Canadian Legion
Cadet Medal of Excellence and Lord Strathcona Medal in the
same training year? Or can I do both and recieve one next year, and the one after that?

You can make an application to anything you like. Its the question of whether you will get it or not. If you apply for both, and so does someone senior to u, and u both qualify, the senior medal, Lord Strath, will be awarded to him, and u will get the other one. Atleast that's what i think is happening in our corps. Hope this helps.

I can judge you Rifle Team Captain.

You are a good cadet! And congratulations (again) on your outstanding NSCE score!

Duke (337 & 75 Shooting Coach)

I've dedicated alot of time to the corps, even though i've only been in for 2 yrs 5 months...But it does make sense to set prerequesites. I'm just peeved cuz i'm so close to 3 yrs, and i did relatively well on NSCE with about 93 overall, and...well, i'm not gonna call myself a good cadet cuz i can't judge myself... i've been told i do a pretty excellent job, and my academics look pretty impressive too.

I wonder if there's a governing body i can appeal to or something?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I do know a cadet that was in a similar situation in 2002, he topped NSCE for EOA and was unable to receive the MGen Howard Medal.  In my opinion there's no harm in attempting to appeal this and attempting to qualify for the medal.

Even if you don't get it ... it's not a big deal ... medals are just shiny things to hang from your chest .... what means more is the personal satisfaction of excelling in one of the hardest aspects to cadets.

You can make an application to anything you like. Its the question of whether you will get it or not. If you apply for both, and so does someone senior to u, and u both qualify, the senior medal, Lord Strath, will be awarded to him, and u will get the other one. Atleast that's what i think is happening in our corps. Hope this helps.

Thanks, it did sorta help, but lets say I was the only one applying for them both. Which one is "better". lol

(Legion Medal of Excellence and Lord Strat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back