• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

I attended my Uncles funeral service this past week and there was a Honour guard from the legion there. My Uncle was quite active with the Legion up until 5 years ago. (he was 91 when he passed) They showed up with a small CD / cassette player that I presume had the last post on it. I say this because it didn't work. I don't know if they tested it before hand or not. After several attempts to get it to play, the guard commander apologized to the family and they did the place a poppy stomp their foot and bow thing. It was quite hard to watch actually as my Uncle, Father and myself were all drill instructors at one time or an other. One of them came up after and thanked my Father, Brother, Sister, and myself for our service to Canada, which was quite unexpected.

recceguy said:
Our condolences on your loss.

My condolences.

I've done more than a few of these Legion services in the past couple of years. There is a procedure and some do try and follow it, others well.....

I'll usually grab the Legion contingent outside the room (in the hall or if available another room)  and sort them out and once again explain the procedure: "march in, halt, turn inwards, stand at ease. Once the padre gives the start signal, come to attention. After Last Post and Rouse and the Eulogy move in pairs to the coffin and place the poppies etc." When done right it does look good. Nine times out of ten I just get dirty looks from the group and a patronizing lecture on how :they've been doing it for years"  and they  then proceed to shuffle in and do whatever strikes their fancy.  As I've said before It's like herding cats with Alzheimer's.

I ensure that at least the final salute is given with some decorum and dignity.

The intent is there, just the will to do it properly. Attendance at most of the services last year was well in excess of what shows up for a meeting and even November 11th, and most dressed in Blues and Grays. The big problem with the Legion is apathy. The majority of the membership does not care and at best goes through the motions

As I enter that age and like many boomers have a empty nest, I see so many other retired or ex CF people starting or rekindling MC clubs, Regimental ***'n, reunions, celebrate Reg't birthdays and Naval historical days while most important Rememberance Day. I am a member and have been since my Mom gave me a membership when I joined the army in the 70s. As I moved I changed branches. I always stop in the local legion during my business travels and get the inside scoop or lay of the land. 
I see many of us have turned to the Legion which is Nation wide, yet many are closing or consolidating in some areas.  The small town or rural Branches seem strong and very community orientated. Yet plenty of us ignore this resource. 
I do notice that maybe in some cases the concept has been hijacked as there are some branches that are very heavily influenced by the associate members as there minimal ex-military. I have been in a few where it is not a welcoming atmosphere, yet this year in Kingston I was adopted by a ex-president and given a tour and made to feel at home. In Whitehorse, I was immediately invited to the stammtisch (regular table) and included as a new found friend. In Richards Landing, I was invited to return and live there. Niagara Falls was another enjoyable experience in the Branch that is surviving.
However in some of the bigger branches, I was treated as a necessary evil and ignored or looked upon as an intruder, yet I too hold a membership, just not there.
So my point is that the RCL needs to look at recruiting while the military is on a high note.  Attitude would help or many more branches will wither and die, and that would be a shame.
I believe that we should have more people join and use the facilities for our reunions like Arnprior which bent over backwards a couple yrs ago for us and made a handsome profit that weekend.
It is about time we embraced the Legion as many of us are either in the pasture or moving that way, not to mention provide assistance for the older veterans from both WW2 and Korea.  So rally the Cold War warriors and be there for the guys from Bosnia, and Afghanistan.  Pool our resources and work with VAC.
Took me ahile but I read all 9 pages.  great points.
I was at the Fleet club in Halifax a couple years ago mid-week and there were like 9 people in the joint including the Duty NCM and barender.
with no more  S.L.O.B.s, most young ones have a room in the shack or an apt. and they got PS3, XBox, computers, internet, and cable t.v. We used the JRC as our tv room and living room.
And like the JRC and Legions the local businesses complain you are stealing their livihood with happy hours or the mess on the ships.  Even in Borden the most business now is either Bleachers or the Cast and Blast.  So Canex is stealing the business.  As for the Reserve units their messes are greatly reduced or amalgamated for the ORs.  Maybe the legions should provide a service in a separate area where available for RCMP, EMS and local reserve units.  Since MADD and the emphasis on DUI charges, more people are just caccooning (sp). and rightly so.

mad dog 2020 said:
As I enter that age and like many boomers have a empty nest, I see so many other retired or ex CF people starting or rekindling MC clubs, Regimental ***'n, reunions, celebrate Reg't birthdays and Naval historical days while most important Rememberance Day. I am a member and have been since my Mom gave me a membership when I joined the army in the 70s. As I moved I changed branches. I always stop in the local legion during my business travels and get the inside scoop or lay of the land. 
I see many of us have turned to the Legion which is Nation wide, yet many are closing or consolidating in some areas.  The small town or rural Branches seem strong and very community orientated. Yet plenty of us ignore this resource. 
I do notice that maybe in some cases the concept has been hijacked as there are some branches that are very heavily influenced by the associate members as there minimal ex-military. I have been in a few where it is not a welcoming atmosphere, yet this year in Kingston I was adopted by a ex-president and given a tour and made to feel at home. In Whitehorse, I was immediately invited to the stammtisch (regular table) and included as a new found friend. In Richards Landing, I was invited to return and live there. Niagara Falls was another enjoyable experience in the Branch that is surviving.
However in some of the bigger branches, I was treated as a necessary evil and ignored or looked upon as an intruder, yet I too hold a membership, just not there.
So my point is that the RCL needs to look at recruiting while the military is on a high note.  Attitude would help or many more branches will wither and die, and that would be a shame.
I believe that we should have more people join and use the facilities for our reunions like Arnprior which bent over backwards a couple yrs ago for us and made a handsome profit that weekend.
It is about time we embraced the Legion as many of us are either in the pasture or moving that way, not to mention provide assistance for the older veterans from both WW2 and Korea.  So rally the Cold War warriors and be there for the guys from Bosnia, and Afghanistan.  Pool our resources and work with VAC.
Took me ahile but I read all 9 pages.  great points.
I was at the Fleet club in Halifax a couple years ago mid-week and there were like 9 people in the joint including the Duty NCM and barender.
with no more  S.L.O.B.s, most young ones have a room in the shack or an apt. and they got PS3, XBox, computers, internet, and cable t.v. We used the JRC as our tv room and living room.
And like the JRC and Legions the local businesses complain you are stealing their livihood with happy hours or the mess on the ships.  Even in Borden the most business now is either Bleachers or the Cast and Blast.  So Canex is stealing the business.  As for the Reserve units their messes are greatly reduced or amalgamated for the ORs.  Maybe the legions should provide a service in a separate area where available for RCMP, EMS and local reserve units.  Since MADD and the emphasis on DUI charges, more people are just caccooning (sp). and rightly so.

Here's an experiment for you using social media: get a Twitter and a Facebook account, open the bar, and fire up a Friday afternoon Happy Hour Flash Mob. Make sure you put up a You Tube clip before you do it with a video of you dancing in a Hula Skirt (or  :dileas:). Include a link to this tasteful scene on your comms. Make sure you let people know the soapy tasting draft is on sale.... :cheers:

Seriously... most Legions are really boring for anyone...... under 30. This could be a hoot (bag).  ;D

Sign removal dishonours soldier, family says
Legion in Springdale wants tribute sign for Cpl. Stephen Bouzane removed, citing safety issues
CBC News Posted: Feb 2, 2012 9:16 AM NT Last Updated: Feb 2, 2012 3:57 PM NT

li-bouzane-maureen-20120202.jpg

Maureen Bouzane is upset that the Legion in Springdale wants a sign erected in tribute to her son removed. (CBC)

The family of a Newfoundland soldier who was killed in Afghanistan says the memory of their son is being dishonoured, after being told their tribute is a hazard.

The Bouzane family donated two large tribute signs to Royal Canadian Legions in Springdale and St. Alban's last year. Now, they're being told the sign in Springdale is causing traffic problems.

Sitting at home in St. Alban's, Maureen Bouzane's eyes well up at the mention of the memorial for her son, Cpl. Stephen Bouzane, killed in 2007 at the age of 26.

nl-bouzane-stephen-sign-20120202.jpg

This sign, in St. Alban's, is one of two erected in the memory of Cpl. Stephen Bouzane, who was killed in Afghanistan in 2007. (CBC)

"The one in Springdale doesn't mean nothing to me any more," she told CBC News.

Bouzane said the local Legion sent the family an e-mail, asking that the sign be moved because it's close to the road and causing a traffic worry, as drivers slow to look at it.

But the RCMP and the town haven't received any complaints.

And that's left Fred Bouzane, Stephen's father, frustrated.

"His memory has been disrespected in my opinion," he said. "So I'm just taking the sign out of it."

Bouzane plans to take the sign down Saturday, and put it in storage until a new location can be found.

The Legion isn't commenting.

Local news reports are now stating that Dominion Command has told this legion that the sign will stay.

Jim Seggie said:
Wow. Speechless.

You seem surprised?  Seems to me that this is another sign that the Legion is more about the Legion now than about who/what they were formed for in the first place.

MM

"because it's close to the road and causing a traffic worry, as drivers slow to look at it."

Cause drivers want to see what a real soldier and Canadian looks like.

I'll leave my rant about what I believe to be lurking inside said legion; alas I guess there are not many soldiers to be found there.

dogger1936 said:
"because it's close to the road and causing a traffic worry, as drivers slow to look at it."

Cause drivers want to see what a real soldier and Canadian looks like.

I'll leave my rant about what I believe to be lurking inside said legion; alas I guess there are not many soldiers to be found there.
You said it better than I could.

...just a few more nails in the coffin and the Legion is dead.  So be it.  :not-again:

With my brother, sister,brother in law, my self, 7 CIC officers, 6 WW2 vets, 2 Korea vets, 6 other ranks( Bosnia, Afghan) and My dad EX RCMP all the other 126 members of my branch are members because Mom,Dad,Grampa,Grandma served now talk about thick............. Some days I hate to walk in the door.

my72jeep said:
With my brother, sister,brother in law, my self, 7 CIC officers, 6 WW2 vets, 2 Korea vets, 6 other ranks( Bosnia, Afghan) and My dad EX RCMP all the other 126 members of my branch are members because Mom,Dad,Grampa,Grandma served now talk about thick............. Some days I hate to walk in the door.

Then don't.

My grandfather, uncles, both parent in laws, wife and I are all ex regular force with tours to various places....and none of us will have anything to do with the legion.  paying money to an organisation like this is wrong IMHO.

I feel like driving to this ladies house and giving her a hug. I would put the memorial on my front lawn; if this legion doesn't respect a fallen soldier memory; my children and family will.

This makes me more vexed every time I read it.... :nod:

Well, for the last couple of years I have been resisting the push from various relatives and friends to join the local legion for all the many reasons posted on this thread.

Next Tuesday I get inducted into the local legion. I guess I decided to be one of the few that stay in and help sort things out from within. The worse case scenario is that I am one unheard voice speaking for the new veterans; the best case is that I will be part of the vanguard of new vets bringing needed reform to this venerable organization.

Here's the Legion...

Once hurting for numbers...I wonder who "filled the ranks"...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2009/11/30/nl-sprindgdale-legion-1130.html?ref=rss

Edit to add contact information for those interested: http://www.weblocal.ca/royal-canadian-legion-springdale-nl.html

Maybe the Memorial could be replaced with a sign saying: "Service Personnel and dogs keep off the grass!"
(SARCASM!!!)

Another prime example of how the Associate Member mindset runs today's RCL. It also should be noted that from what I understand that this Branch is hardly surviving due to LOW membership. I feel that the nameless person or persons behind this whole issue truly deserve the ass-chewing headed their way.

tango22a

NFLD Sapper said:
Sign removal dishonours soldier, family says
Legion in Springdale wants tribute sign for Cpl. Stephen Bouzane removed, citing safety issues
CBC News Posted: Feb 2, 2012 9:16 AM NT Last Updated: Feb 2, 2012 3:57 PM NT

li-bouzane-maureen-20120202.jpg

Maureen Bouzane is upset that the Legion in Springdale wants a sign erected in tribute to her son removed. (CBC)

The family of a Newfoundland soldier who was killed in Afghanistan says the memory of their son is being dishonoured, after being told their tribute is a hazard.

The Bouzane family donated two large tribute signs to Royal Canadian Legions in Springdale and St. Alban's last year. Now, they're being told the sign in Springdale is causing traffic problems.

Sitting at home in St. Alban's, Maureen Bouzane's eyes well up at the mention of the memorial for her son, Cpl. Stephen Bouzane, killed in 2007 at the age of 26.

nl-bouzane-stephen-sign-20120202.jpg

This sign, in St. Alban's, is one of two erected in the memory of Cpl. Stephen Bouzane, who was killed in Afghanistan in 2007. (CBC) ....

Local news reports are now stating that Dominion Command has told this legion that the sign will stay.
Here's newer version of the story:
The Newfoundland and Labrador president of the Royal Canadian Legion says a plan to remove a memorial sign in Springdale for a soldier who died in Afghanistan is "embarassing."

The family of Cpl. Stephen Bouzane was upset when the local Legion sent the family an email, asking that the tribute be removed. It believes the tribute is a traffic hazard … even though the RCMP and the town said they haven't received any complaints.

But Thursday, provincial Legion president Aiden Crewe called the Legion in Springdale. He said the decision by the local office contradicts Legion's mission to honour veterans.

Bouzane's family told CBC News Thusday afternoon that the damage is done and the sign will still be removed on Saturday. They say the legion had a chance to fix the situation ....
Too little too late guys....

It seems weird that they felt the need to give away free 1 year memberships to retiring CF members - last DWD I was in charge of had me filling the forms out for said member, who was actually a little reluctant abut the whole thing.  Funny, wasn't offered to me when I pulled the pin...mind you I kind of let it be known that I wasn't the slightest bit interested.  Maybe I'll grow out of it if things change, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

MM

As more and more stuff comes to light, I am thinking its probably a good thing I quite the legion. I am now a former member and have no desire today (4 Feb 2012) of being one again. Too bad.

They should do an audit of actual numbers in each legion. Let's not count CIC as soldiers or cadets with 3 years in. Lets then see just how much of the legions branches have less than 60% Sailors, soldiers, airmen, RCMP and Goast guard (allied forces included of course). Any with less that 60% close the doors.

If we as members of the CF wish to take our places back. We have to ensure it never again slips into the hands of those who don't know the dedication of service to ones great country.

Memberships need to be revamped. Regular and reserve class A B or C (soldiers/sailors etc). RCMP Coast Guard and allied forces only.

CIC, Civilians, cadets guests only.

Close branches and restrict membership. I'll gladly drive an hour for a function if I have something in common with the people inside.

Back