• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which Cap Badge to wear?

Ended up being the same case as wook. Presented with EME cap badge and instructed to sort it out

Globemaster said:
Thanks for the replies!

@blackberet: not course loaded yet, but I've heard nice things about aldershot.

It's called Alderschwitz for a reason... hint: the ants are everywhere. Suggest you adopt them as a section mascot IOT pass inspection.

Globemaster said:
Thanks for the replies!

@blackberet: not course loaded yet, but I've heard nice things about aldershot.

@wook: are you referring to the trade cap badge or the cornflake?

Be careful about that, Aldershot is a crap shoot when it comes to CAP/What is now BMOQ-L

For instance my course had a pretty jammy go, we only lost about 4 people to quitting/failing etc...

However our sister platoon in the barracks next to us got the SH** beat out of them and went from 30 pers, to 21 before their their 8th week. Almost 30% wash out rate. Most of which were due to injury from people who thought they had a jammy go coming to them.

Apparently there are some Crse O's who think that because you are in Aldershot and it has a rep for easy BMOQ-L/CAP courses, they need to put the boots to you harder.

my 2cents.

-NS

cupper said:
That must be the first time in history that those words have been uttered in the same sentence. ;D

NSDreamer said:
Be careful about that, Aldershot is a crap shoot 

The second quote sounds more like the rat hole I was exiled to for most of the 1980's  8)

Does anyone have a reference for OCdts with former service wearing anything besides the cornflake?

JRBond said:
Does anyone have a reference for OCdts with former service wearing anything besides the cornflake?

CFP 265, Chapter 3, Section 4.

To summarize, it is complicated and depends largely on your commissioning plan. ROTP and UTPNCM are different. Although the dress pam uses the older term UTPM.

Greetings,

long time lurker, first time poster here. I've looked plenty for a situation similar to mine through these forums, but haven't found any solid info so I'm hoping someone can give an answer to my particular situation.

I was previously a 3s qualified medic in the Army Reserves before switching over to be a Reg Force CELE (Air) Officer through ROTP. I am still an officer cadet, but have completed my BMOQ training. In the last year i have been told to wear and then switch 4 different cap badges, from medical, to NCM RCAF, to tri force, and finally the officer RCAF. Recently I have been told the one I am wearing is wrong again. The explanation I was given on why I SHOULD be wearing officer cap badge is that I am
1) Air Force element
2) in the Officer career progression (however not commissioned yet) and
3) qualified in a trade.

As I understand this will just be worn until i get the Jimmy after completing the CELE course. If anyone could give some insight on this matter it would be most appreciated.

I just got picked up for CELE myself and will be starting my studies, so take this with a grain of salt (18 years Army NCO). From what I've been told, once you belong to the occupation you can put the Jimmy up on your headdress. You will get your occupation badge once you take your CELE course and that only goes up at that point.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I didn't think there was a requirement to change badges from the NCM (cloth, presumably) and Officer (embroidered) cap badges when one was commissioned, aside from whether you wanted to pay for said badge. 

Most officers do, but I've never seen something requiring someone to buy the RCAF embroidered badge.

Dimsum said:
I didn't think there was a requirement to change badges from the NCM (cloth, presumably) and Officer (embroidered) cap badges when one was commissioned, aside from whether you wanted to pay for said badge. 

Most officers do, but I've never seen something requiring someone to buy the RCAF embroidered badge.

While it doesn't apply to the OP's situation since he hasn't remained in the same branch (medical) that he was in as an NCM, there are some branches/regiments that have different cap badges for officers vice NCMs (medical being one, the snake on an officer's/CWO's badge is silver, for the rest of NCMs it is gold).

However, what does the book say?
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-265/index-eng.asp
ISSUE POLICY FOR BRANCH/CORPS INSIGNIA

3.  Except as noted below, all personnel shall be issued the following badges on initial enrolment:
a.  the CAF universal-pattern cap badge; and
b.  the appropriate environmental buttons.
4.  There is no universal-pattern collar badge for wear by army personnel on initial enrolment.
5.  The following policy shall govern the issue to personnel of identifying cap and, where applicable, collar badges.
6.  Combat arms (armour, artillery, engineer and infantry) personnel shall receive regimental cap and collar badges in accordance with regimental directives.
7.  Component and Occupational Transfers.  Members who have previously been qualified in their former occupation shall wear the cap badge of their new branch/corps effective on the date of their component or occupational transfer.  Members who were not qualified in their previous occupation shall wear the CAF universal pattern cap badge until they qualify for their new cap badge in accordance with the procedures established by the individual branch advisors.
8.  Direct Entry officers of the RCMS, RCDC, Royal Canadian Chaplain Service and Legal Branch who enroll with all the necessary professional qualifications for the military occupation, shall be issued branch badges immediately upon commissioning.
9.  Personnel commissioned from the ranks to a different CAF environment and issued the uniform of the new environment, shall wear the branch/corps insignia consistent with their new DEU.
10.  Officer Cadets of the Royal Military College of Canada (RMCC), other than UTPNCM cadets, shall wear RMCC badges during the academic year until they are commissioned.  They shall be issued branch badges as appropriate on commencement of military occupation training, for wear only during the period of this training. Upon commissioning, they shall wear the insignia of the branch/corps or regiment to which they are assigned.
11.  Officer Cadets attending civilian academic institutions under a subsidized university education plan (CFAO 210-13 refers), shall be issued branch badges as appropriate on commencement of military occupational training.
12.  UTPNCM cadets shall continue to wear their environmental uniforms, branch/corps or regimental insignia until re-assigned.
13.  ROTP officers who fail to qualify in their military occupation and are retained in the CAF to fulfill obligatory service, shall relinquish their branch/corps or regimental insignia and shall wear the CAF universal pattern cap badge only, until their release.
14.  Members of the Cadet Instructors Cadre (CIC) are issued with their Force components’ insignia, which vary by environment, on enrolment.

The conflicting directions that the OP has received is likely due to confusion in interpreting the highlighted paras above, as well as some downright stupidity on the part of someone who thinks that because someone is wearing an air force blue uniform they should be wearing the Air Ops branch badge.  Unless something has changed the CELE occupation still falls within the C&E branch.

And of course, you are correct that no one is obliged to purchase a fancier version of the issued badge.  Not obliged, just hounded suggested until you do.
16.Senior Officers, Junior Officers, and Non-Commissioned Members
a.  A metal or embroidered branch/corps cap badge and, where appropriate, metal collar badges shall be worn, except as specified in sub-paragraph b.
b.  All senior and junior officers, and all CWOs or equivalent may wear optional wire embroidered versions of their authorized cap badge provided that the badge is identical in both dimension and design and conforms to the approved pattern held by NDHQ/DHH.  Regimental officers and Chief Warrant Officers shall conform to regimental direction.

I recently accepted an offer to VOT to MP from Firefighter and I got loaded on a BMQ-L course before my MP QL3s. The joining instructions for the QL3s say I can have the MP cap badge on. My question is because my BMQ-L is first (and 5 months before my QL3s) which cap badge would I wear? The engineer (firefighter) one because i'm trades qualified even tho I am technically not apart of the trade anymore? Or the MP one even tho I havn't done my QL3s yet?

I have asked my supervisors and my clerks and neither had the answer, just alot of "I think"s and I don't know if there is an official document with this answer on it so I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance.

The date your OT takes effect the Thunderbird goes up.

The ref is in the thread I just merged your question with.

garb811 said:
The date your OT takes effect the Thunderbird goes up.

The ref is in the thread I just merged your question with.

Thanks alot. Exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers.

Back