• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Started an application, on hold until next year

ColtGreenhorn

Inactive
Reaction score
So I am a few years removed from high school and have found myself in and out of multiple colleges trying to find a job that is suited towards my likes and strengths. After visiting a recruiter to get some "policing experience" last December I found out that the MP reservists don't do much by the way of policing. Since then I have been in and out of contact with multiple recruiters, trying to learn more about the Forces. I started an application this summer for another reserve position however, the qualifications changed or were not updated for the recruiter and I found out later that I was not eligible for the position. I have had my application sit in limbo since then and have now started to weigh the different options I have for entering the Forces. Since then I have gone to college (again) except I am passing my courses and will be applying to universities with the hopes of being admitted for the September 2015 semester.

I am hoping to be accepted into university for next year, I don't have the recommended 75% average needed from high-school to apply, nor do I have grade 12 university math so I don't know my ROTP chances as of now. I would just apply after I am in my first year of schooling.

My goal is to become an officer after I graduate university. So with this being said, if I don't make the cut for ROTP, is it better to apply to the reserves and component transfer or just complete my degree and then apply for direct entry? Secondly, if I apply to the reserves, does it matter if it's as an NCM or Officer? Holding rank and other things like that are certainly added bonuses, however what is most important to me is starting my military career. The second job would also help with income, and I have read that they sometimes give students grants or money towards tuition in the reserves. Either way, I have started to compile references, update my resume and research the officer trades more diligently.

While there is a long road ahead, it is well worth it and I hope to be able to update anyone who is interested. If anyone has any recommendations or ideas as to where to take my application come September, please do share them.

My apologies if this is not the right location for this.

I will be honest with you, missing the Grade 12 math and not having the 75% overall average will be the death of your ROTP application. I applied when I was in second year of university and was doing pretty well. I was declined from ROTP because of my higschool marks. My overall average in Gr. 12 was 85% and I had a ton of extracurricular(football,hockey, camp counselor, law club etc..) but I did not have Gr.12 math and they were force to look at grade 11 math which was not strong.

I won't talk to the rest of your post, but that was my experience applying for ROTP as a university student. 

That's what I thought after reading through some of the posts on this site, I may pick up a math course this semester and see if someone at a recruiting centre can give me any direction. Thanks for the reply!

Back