• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where should the monuments come home to?

Where do YOU feel the cenotaph's new home should be?

• Beechwood Cemetery

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Canadian National War Museum

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • NDHQ (Nortel Campus)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Elsewhere in Ottawa (post a comment explaining where/why)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sapplicant said:
Considering the location I've seen mulled over here the most is the grounds at War Museum, I'd tend to agree with you. Remember, the grounds are used throughout the summer for various music festivals, and that would make the Mirage Monument a VERY easy target for the various "individuals" these festivals attract. One exceptionally charismatic "Anti-Bush sponsored war" rant from one of the red-eyed longhair'd "artists" is all it would take for the thing to be smashed to bits.

I'm not opposed to the idea of an Afghan War monument in Ottawa, but the monument we're speaking of was, in essence, built FOR THE SOLDIERS of Canada in Afghanistan. With that in mind, I actully believe it should be relocated to the CFLRS, for every new recruit into our Forces to see and appreciate. Call me what you will, but I believe that would be the most effective, and proper location.

I know many people think "Trenton" because that's where the repatriation happened. Consider this; the fallen began their lives as soldiers at BMQ at a recruit school. This war has shown what our soldiers, and country for that matter, are made of and how dedicated they are. This is where the "making of a soldier" begins.

Plenty of reservists names are on that thing, and they never set foot in st Jean.  Trenton is the ONLY place they ALL have in common.

Kat Stevens said:
Plenty of reservists names are on that thing, and they never set foot in st Jean.  Trenton is the ONLY place they ALL have in common.

True. Some reg force members also do BMQ at other locations, such as Borden. I'm not saying Trenton is a bad idea, because it isn't. In fact, that's where I believe it will end up finding a home.

That said, all of them were also soldiers. As is pretty much anyone going to CFLRS, and a lot of people will. Especially those soldiers who lead others. Afghanistan, like it or not, isn't exactly a "popular war". That would serve as a staunch reminder of the job soldiers do, and do very well. It doesn't matter if the Queen and the PM are the ONLY person who supports the cause, we're their fists.

That said, the fallen should not be considered "reminders". Just seemed like a good idea when I thought of it. So I guess I probably don't know what in the f**k I'm talking about and should stop typing.

Sapplicant said:
.... all of them were also soldiers. As is pretty much anyone going to CFLRS, and a lot of people will. Especially those soldiers who lead others ....
To expand on GAP's comment, not ALL the fallen went through CFLRS, and not ALL the leaders went through CFLRS for their leadership training.  IF we answer the question "what piece of ground has a connection to all of the fallen?", outside of Afghanistan or UAE, then Trenton is where they've ALL been.

That said, other questions to consider:
- Where can the most people most easily grieve/pay respects?
- Where can the most people closest to the fallen most easily grieve/pay respects?
- Where would there be maximum visibility?

All questions to be considered by those higher than my pay grade, but just thrown out there for discussion.

Actually with the caveats re not all trained there noted, Sapplicant's idea does have some merit.

IIRC the IDF Para Recruits are taken to Masada, just to show them what is expected of them in regards to being a soldier. Legionnaires are shown Capt Danjou's wooden hand which is located in the museum at their recruit base. There is a precedent for this.

I also support the idea of a National Afghan War Monument in Ottawa at a suitable time in the future, and perhaps Beechwood would be more appropriate than the CWM.

Eventually there should (almost certainly will) be pressure to add 2002-2014 to the National War Memorial. The dates commemorating World War II (1939–1945) and Korea (1950–1953) were added in 1982.

There are several particular memorials in Ottawa, some, quite close to the National War Memorial, others farther afield.

If we are talking about two memorials, one from KAF and the other from Camp Mirage, then there are two choices for location, as others have already mentioned.

There are 2 monuments. Wow, I REALLY didn't know WTF I was talking about. Serves me right for not reading closely enough.

KAF monument to Trenton.

Camp Mirage cairn to CFLRS.

Seems reasonable enough, eh?

The final decision should perhaps rest with two groups, the Next of Kin of those names on the monuments  and the CF Service Members especially those who served alongside the fallen.

Perhaps the best monument to them is the fact that we are free to have a rational debate on this ( or any other) subject.

CFB Trenton would be my first pick, in a place on base that is accessible to the entire public to view. If not there, then the National Military cemeteries in Ottawa.

Danjanou said:
The final decision should perhaps rest with two groups, the Next of Kin of those names on the monuments  and the CF Service Members especially those who served alongside the fallen.
Agreed.  Any ideas on how do you read a collective position re:  location? 

Sapplicant said:
There are 2 monuments. Wow, I REALLY didn't know WTF I was talking about. Serves me right for not reading closely enough.

KAF monument to Trenton.

Camp Mirage cairn to CFLRS.

Seems reasonable enough, eh?

IMGP3923.jpg

Kandahar Airfield Memorial
The memorial, made of marble and slate, consists of individual plaques to each of the Canadian Forces members killed in Afghanistan as well as the Canadian Diplomat, Glyn Berry. Also present on the memorial site are an aboriginal totem and a flag stand with the image of the Joint Task Force Afghanistan logo.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/youth/sub.cfm?source=Memorials/asia_afr/afghanistan

campmem.jpg

Memorial at Camp Mirage
The memorial at Camp Mirage is located in a public area of Camp Mirage and it is dedicated to all of the Canadian dead suffered in Afghanistan and bears small plaques for each fatality.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/youth/sub.cfm?source=Memorials/asia_afr/afghanistan

Once again, I have no preferences re: one location over the other but there are, actually, three memorials - the other being the Memorial Inuksuk:

inuksuk.jpg

Memorial Inuksuk
The memorial inuksuk is located inside the perimeter of the airfield’s boardwalk area. The inuksuk was constructed out of eight rock slabs gathered from the area around the airport and a nearby village. The inuksuk itself is oriented so that it "points" in the direction of Edmonton, the home station of 3 PPCLI. The platform surrounding the inuksuk bears plaques on all four sides dedicated to the memory of Canadian, American and other coalition soldiers killed in the fighting in Afghanistan.

The memorial inuksuk was built by members of the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, Battle Group specifically members of "A" Company, 3 PPCLI, the battalion's pioneer platoon and military engineers in response to the four Canadian fatalities suffered at Tarnak Farm on 17 April 2002. The inuksuk and surrounding memorial construction was dedicated on 16 July 2002 in the waning days of the initial Canadian presence at the Kandahar military base.

It, the inuksuk, has a somewhat different history and the PPCLI might well have a special claim on it.

And interesting thought popped into my head. Perhaps Omar Khadr should be made to clean and polish the memorials every morning at 5am sharp for the rest of his life as part of his punishment?

HavokFour said:
And interesting thought popped into my head. Perhaps Omar Khadr should be made to clean and polish the memorials every morning at 5am sharp for the rest of his life as part of his punishment?
Although a fitting punishment....I abhor the thought of him touching a memorial to soldiers that fought and died for the values we cherish.

I've read most of the posts on the subject, and here's my proposal:

1. Mirage goes to Trenton;
2. KAF goes to Beechwood; and
3. The dates 2000 - 2014 get inscribed on the National War Memorial.

.... IF...2014 is when Canada is "actually "out of there.!        :cdn:    :yellow:

ModlrMike said:
I've read most of the posts on the subject, and here's my proposal:

1. Mirage goes to Trenton;
2. KAF goes to Beechwood; and
3. The dates 2000 - 2014 get inscribed on the National War Memorial.
#1 appears to be happening - this from The Trentonian:
Three granite monuments that stood in a desert air base used as a staging area for Canadian Forces entering Afghanistan have found a home.

On the memorials are plaques remembering the 156 Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

The memorials will be permanently located at the National Air Force Museum at CFB Trenton.

The memorial was repatriated home following the closure of Camp Mirage in October 2010.

A ceremony to officially unveil the monument is expected to be held in early July, officials say.

8 Wing Public Affairs Officer Capt. Jennifer Jones said Wednesday the ceremony is in the planning stages. Nothing has been confirmed, she said.

The monument has been on display at the museum for about a month ....

Has anyone heard what is happening to the memorial in Ma'Sum Ghar?  Will that be brought back to Canada as well?

No, they've buried it on location.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1004958--memorial-to-fallen-canadian-soldiers-buried-at-afghan-base

At first I had issue with this- but upon reflection, the bodies themselves were repatriated to be buried at home. In past wars our fallen have been laid to rest in cemeteries upon the ground they fought and died for. In the modern context, burying the stones at Ma'sum Ghar is not a bad analogue.

Just my thought's.
Khandahar Air Memorial to Trenton Air force Base Trento.
Mirage to Ottawa- All Canadian's inscribed there.
Inuksuk-Edmonton 3 PPCLI
Ma'sum Ghar Royal 22e Regt (Van Doo's)
However they chose to honour thier comrade's Memorial and
leave it in Afganistan, and that is appropriate and very honour-
able as they paid the ultimate sacrifice there serving Canada.
So having said my thought's,,, my heart goe's out to all who
have served and made that supreme sacrifice to Canada and
the world to make this a free and better place. To those who
came home wounded, to those who came home suffering and
had to restructure your live's to to lost limb's other. I have not
forgotten you and I will not let Canada forget also.
SALUTE Soldier's. Thank-you for carrying the torch and making
Canada Proud.  :salute:  :cdn:
All the best,
Scoty B

The KAF memorial should go to the War Museum

The Inukshuk as well.

My  :2c:

Back