• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

SK said:
Yeah bad news but I think I'm going to hold out for MARS rather than change my choices around. Whats are you thinking Sigil?

I think I'm going to hold out too. I've waited this long...and who knows, maybe we'll both get lucky and hear some good news once Friday rolls around.  :)

I went to CRFC today after work and MARS isn't open for any entry plan, the recruiter i spoke with said it will most likely not open this year.  He said the backlog is enormous and there are too many people waiting to get on course as is.

Wow!!  It's shocking how slim the pickings are.
This is bad and very discouraging;  The lack of opportunities is very surprising.

Ok, SK and others who are merit listed, what offers did your recruiters give you?  From my understanding, your file can't be open indefinitely.  Did they say if they will be closing your file now?
I know you have mentioned that you are interested in waiting it out, but did they at least make you any alternate offers or give you some career counselling? Did they offer you another trade?  Did they even say what Officer trades are available for DEO now?

If they are as "backlogged" ('enormous' was the word that was used)  as they claim to be, next year the same situation could very well repeat itself and you'll be in the exact same spot.  I don't think that is such a far-fetched notion.

srhodes said:
Wow!!  It's shocking how slim the pickings are.
This is bad and very discouraging;  The lack of opportunities is very surprising.

Ok, SK and others who are merit listed, what offers did your recruiters give you?  From my understanding, your file can't be open indefinitely.  Did they say if they will be closing your file now?
I know you have mentioned that you are interested in waiting it out, but did they at least make you any alternate offers or give you some career counselling? Did they offer you another trade?  Did they even say what Officer trades are available for DEO now?

If they are as "backlogged" ('enormous' was the word that was used)  as they claim to be, next year the same situation could very well repeat itself and you'll be in the exact same spot.  I don't think that is such a far-fetched notion.
    The recruiter kept MARS as my first choice in case a miracle happened, I had pilot as my second choice, also closed, so I added 2 other trades.  Off the top of my head I know Armour Officer, Signals, Infantry, and legal were open there were a couple more I just can't remember now.  If you call a recruiting centre they definitely have the list right now as to what is open, they can give you full details.

srhodes,

I haven't received any news, good or bad. My file doesn't seem to be closed, no alternate offers or suggestions to pick something else, but then again...intake numbers are low, so it's hard to know what might happen.

Hi,
SK, what other 2 choices did you put down (if it’s not a secret)?
Pilot I’ve been told is the toughest trade to get (in general), and this year MARS appears to be completely blocked despite previous talks/rumours of navy personnel shortages. 

Sigil,
You are right, it’s hard to know what will happen, but leaving candidates hanging for years is not an acceptable option either.  The CF is not obligated to give someone a job, but applicants should know where they accurately stand and what the prospects are.

Good luck….

srhodes, I chose signals officer and infantry officer.  I still might wait it out for MARS but the recruiter didn't sound too optimistic and my current job is only guaranteed until the beginning of August  :facepalm:.

I hear ya srhodes. I suppose on the one hand no news is good news, but on the other...if there isn't any hope for the time being, I'd rather know sooner than later. I'm trying to keep my schedule relatively flexible (just in case), but if I need to move on, I can accept that too. It's just the dangling on the hook for weeks or months.... Is an offer imminent? Is the trade going to be closed? Are we all SOL until next year? It's just unclear. Not that I'm complaining too much...I know there are guys who would love to be as far into the process as I am.

If I may ask, have you applied yourself yet or are you still trying to figure out what you're going to do?

Just trying to figure things out, exploring options, learn, seeing what’s available.

I was told by a recruiter today that 10 DEO MARS spots are available nationally.
Hopefully that gives you ‘some’ sort of hope.  That's what I was told, but he also said numbers (can) change daily.

Was told best bet as of right now is probably with Infantry Officer. 
Have you guys heard anything different?

Yeah, 'some' sort of hope is about right. Better news than hearing 0 spots are available, but 10... :-\

I haven't heard anything about infantry O either way. Last I heard from my CFRC, Construction Engineering had a few openings but it didn't seem like anything was "wide open," except possibly for trades requiring a specific degree, like pharmacy and social work.

The next Assessment Board will be run 11-15 Jul -2011, and will be for Naval Combat System Engineers only as per Canadian Forces National Recruiting Contact Center.

sallu said:
The next Assessment Board will be run 11-15 Jul -2011, and will be for Naval Combat System Engineers only as per Canadian Forces National Recruiting Contact Center.

Does this mean there will no Assessment Board for MARS candidates this year?

Stacked said:
No... It means the next NOAB will be for Naval Combat System Engineers only.  Honestly, where did you get "There will be no Assessment Board for MARS this year" out of that?

I didn't because it was a question, not a statement of fact. If you have an issue with the validity of the assumption behind it, well, I'd appreciate if you can elaborate on that.

I'm now wondering the same thing, Olexa. If the July NOAB is for NCSE only, the next NOAB will probably be no sooner than October-ish (judging by past years) and with the very low intake this year, if at all for MARS...well, I think it's a reasonable thing to be wondering.

It seems like you may have had the right of it all along. It's a little frustrating, since I'm still being told what I have been. I understand and agree that the needs of the CF come first, but I wish it could be a little more clear to applicants where they stand. The conflicting info and uncertainty for weeks and months makes it unclear whether you should just buckle down and be patient for a little longer or move on with your life.

Sigil said:
I'm now wondering the same thing, Olexa. If the July NOAB is for NCSE only, the next NOAB will probably be no sooner than October-ish (judging by past years) and with the very low intake this year, if at all for MARS...well, I think it's a reasonable thing to be wondering.

It seems like you may have had the right of it all along. It's a little frustrating, since I'm still being told what I have been. I understand and agree that the needs of the CF come first, but I wish it could be a little more clear to applicants where they stand. The conflicting info and uncertainty for weeks and months makes it unclear whether you should just buckle down and be patient for a little longer or move on with your life.
It seems that this year the selection process is being carried out under  especially unfavorable circumstances of which we are all aware. I too have heard some conflicting info. From what I have heard so far, the  number  of spots allocated for DEO MARS applicants is going to be either non-existent  or extremely low.  I can infer that given the numbers, the decision whether to hold another NOAB for MARS is pretty much in the air. What surprises me about that "NOAB for NSCE" thing is that last year I was told that NSCE candidates might be exempted from the NOAB in the future, whereas MARS applicants must attend  one regardless. Thus, it sounds strange  to me that they have reportedly decided to hold a NOAB for NSCE only.

I spoke to my file manager today and was told that an NOAB for MARS if off the table for now.  While they may or may not be recruiting individuals for this year, they already have enough candidates that have completed the selection board, therefore, no need to run a new one.  I was then told that I have the option to have my file closed (I was merit listed but no NOAB) and reapply or go for a different trade.  I am going to apply at the later date whenever that comes while trying to improve my resume.  Thank god I have a decent full time job with benefits/retirement plan but I feel for the rest of you folks who aren’t so lucky.  Gotta love this recession!!  Hopefully the new government will be able to turn the economy around.

clarkyo said:
I spoke to my file manager today and was told that an NOAB for MARS if off the table for now.  While they may or may not be recruiting individuals for this year, they already have enough candidates that have completed the selection board, therefore, no need to run a new one.  I was then told that I have the option to have my file closed (I was merit listed but no NOAB) and reapply or go for a different trade.  I am going to apply at the later date whenever that comes while trying to improve my resume.  Thank god I have a decent full time job with benefits/retirement plan but I feel for the rest of you folks who aren’t so lucky.  Gotta love this recession!!  Hopefully the new government will be able to turn the economy around.
I was told exactly the same thing two months ago. I had managed to start  the application process for another trade when, quite recently, my file manager informed me that  MARS was going to be  open this year for a very limited selection  after all. So I got merit-listed for MARS again. Have they changed their mind yet another time?

Back