• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the Dumbest Thing You've SEEN Today?

I recall hearing something similar happening in the same region about 2000 years ago.

Must be something in the water. ;D

jollyjacktar said:
That's soooooo Monty Python.  "I'm not dead yet.  I'm feeling much better...."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs
'Cept done deliberately, you give them too much credit.  ;D
I recall hearing something similar happening in the same region about 2000 years ago.

Must be something in the water.
Roman executioners were pretty good at making people dead. Those mysterious ethereal Israeli missiles could take a few tips from them, it would appear...

Who in their right mind lets their kid try a full auto Uzi at 9 years old.  :mad:

Arizona gun instructor dead after 9-year-old accidentally shoots him

Authorities said the girl was at the shooting range with her parents

The Associated PressPosted: Aug 26, 2014 9:08 PM ET|

A 9-year-old girl accidentally killed an Arizona shooting instructor as he was showing her how to use an automatic Uzi, authorities said Tuesday.

Charles Vacca, 39, of Lake Havasu City, died Monday shortly after being airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, Mohave County sheriff's officials said.

Vacca was standing next to the girl at the Last Stop outdoor shooting range in White Hills when she pulled the trigger and the recoil sent the gun over her head, investigators said.

Authorities said the girl was at the shooting range with her parents. Her name was not released. A woman who answered the phone at the shooting range said it had no comment. She did not provide her name.

It is not known if the range had an age limit on shooting or if the girl was going through a safety class.

Ronald Scott, a Phoenix-based firearms safety expert, said most shooting ranges have an age limit and strict safety rules when teaching children to shoot. He said instructors usually have their hands on guns when children are firing high-powered weapons.
"You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott said.

© The Associated Press, 2014

Parents let their children participate in all sorts of hazardous activities.

Ranges are among the safest places on the planet. A lot of effort is expended to ensure that. Regardless, safety cannot be guaranteed. Nor can it be guaranteed anywhere else.

Statistically, the most dangerous aspect of such shooting activities is the drive to and from the range. Who in their right mind would let a kid be a passenger in a car?

More kids drown in backyard pools than die in firearms accidents. Who in their right mind would let a kid near a backyard pool?

Society considers drowning and mangling inside of a crushed car to be more acceptable, however, because swimming and driving (and snowmobiling, and skiing, and a host of other hazardous activities ) regarded as more "normal". Regardless of the relative hazard, those dangerous things are never questioned.

I would suspect that one or more of the safeties on the UZI were 'modified/tampered with'. 

"Ronald Scott, a Phoenix-based firearms safety expert, said most shooting ranges have an age limit and strict safety rules when teaching children to shoot. He said instructors usually have their hands on guns when children are firing high-powered weapons.
"You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott said."

In my experience, the part in yellow applies to all ages and all situations in at a range, not just when teaching.

At the clubs I attended, you should see how fast you lost your shooting privileges if you broke any of the safety rules.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
"Ronald Scott, a Phoenix-based firearms safety expert, said instructors usually have their hands on guns when children are firing high-powered weapons. You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott said."

A hand on the gun would mean the instructor would be alive today.  While a 9 year old girl should be able to handle an Uzi's recoil, she would have no appreciation of what was actually coming.

George Wallace said:
I would suspect that one or more of the safeties on the UZI were 'modified/tampered with'.
Based on......? 

If she was in the bay and in the process of firing, the selector switch likely wasn't on 'safe.'  Holding the weapon to fire, obviously the pistol grip safety was depressed. Those are the only two safeties I've seen on an Uzi.

Rocky Mountains said:
A hand on the gun would mean the instructor would be alive today.  While a 9 year old girl should be able to handle an Uzi's recoil, she would have no appreciation of what was actually coming.

Agreed regarding a hand on the gun.

The video cuts off from where the gun slipped from the girl's grip and pointed towards the instructor. He was supporting her back with his right hand and her elbows with his left...

Lesson learned for everyone. Poor kid, though.

Journeyman said:
Based on......? 

If she was in the bay and in the process of firing, the selector switch likely wasn't on 'safe.'  Holding the weapon to fire, obviously the pistol grip safety was depressed. Those are the only two safeties I've seen on an Uzi.

I was wondering about the pistol grip safety, as it takes a bit of pressure, and wondering if she would have had that size of hand and strength to keep it depressed. 

Loachman said:

Ranges are among the safest places on the planet. A lot of effort is expended to ensure that. Regardless, safety cannot be guaranteed. Nor can it be guaranteed anywhere else.

Statistically, the most dangerous aspect of such shooting activities is the drive to and from the range. Who in their right mind would let a kid be a passenger in a car?

More kids drown in backyard pools than die in firearms accidents. Who in their right mind would let a kid near a backyard pool?

Society considers drowning and mangling inside of a crushed car to be more acceptable, however, because swimming and driving (and snowmobiling, and skiing, and a host of other hazardous activities ) regarded as more "normal". Regardless of the relative hazard, those dangerous things are never questioned.

Well there you have it. I guess it is ok to let a nine-year-old shoot an Uzi afterall... stand-down everyone.

Loachman said:

Yes, they do.  And many also teach their kids how to shoot safely on a range etc.  But, I'm sorry, as far as I'm concerned letting this child engage in that activity was a poor decision as events proved.  Teach her how to use a firearm more her speed by all means, not a Uzi on full auto.  You won't convince otherwise.

jollyjacktar said:
Yes, they do.  And many also teach their kids how to shoot safely on a range etc.  But, I'm sorry, as far as I'm concerned letting this child engage in that activity was a poor decision as events proved.  Teach her how to use a firearm more her speed by all means, not a Uzi on full auto.  You won't convince otherwise.

Teaching a nine year old  to shoot an automatic weapon like an Uzi is ridiculous. It's like taking a 16 year old and giving them an hours instruction in a 200 MPH NASCAR  car then letting them hit the streets.

I doubt that she was the first child of that age to fire that weapon on that range, and I doubt that that range is the only one in the US that permits nine-year-olds to shoot such weapons. That this incident generates prominent international coverage is testimony to the rarity of such an unfortunate result. How many similar tragedies can you count?

Fine. Don't let your kids do this. I do not have a problem with that, any more than I have a problem with parents who would. Parents should have the right to decide the nature and level of hazards to which they are willing to expose their children, after due consideration of the risks involved. And most parents don't give any thought whatsoever to the risks involved in more-dangerous but "normal" activities.

There was close, experienced adult supervision in this case, who seemed quite comfortable coaching the girl. I'd bet that he had done that many times without incident. Again, this indicates a trouble-free history and low risk activity.

He chose to do that, of his own free will, just like people go skydiving, mountain climbing, car or motorcycle racing etcetera etcetera.

She probably understands that quite well.

Yeah, any way you slice it, this guy was a pylon for allowing a 9 year old to even handle a loaded Uzi. Her parents are pylons too.

Just watched this on tonights news. They showed the video, the girl had just fired a round off on single shot, and the instructor then switched the weapon to auto (or maybe burst). As the previous descriptions said, she could not control the recoil on auto, weapon goes vertical, and the video stops at that point.

They interviewed someone from the range (Bullets and Burgers in Arizona) and he indicated that range policy is children 8 years and over can fire any weapon they have there as long as they are supervised by an adult or an instructor.

Link to the ranges website:  http://bulletsandburgers.com

Apparently the family was on a vacation trip from New Jersey and decided to stop in.

cupper said:
Link to the ranges website:  http://bulletsandburgers.com

Rated the #1 attraction (out of 575 in Las Vegas) on Trip Advisor.  :eek:  Wow....just, wow....  :not-again:

All right everyone. Loachman is providing salient points in a non aggressive way. If you want to engage him, do so in a civil manner.

Boiled down, there was nothing illegal, there was a lapse in judgment and an accident happened. There's no need to get hysterical and running off to self flagellate with knotted ropes.

Leave the sarcastic shit at the door and try stay on the course of intelligent human interaction and discuss things in a mature way.

---Staff---

Back