• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

I agree, why should these kids be wasting their time studying when they could be doing much more important stuff like hanging around the mall or playing computer games. Especially when in Toronto you have high stress classes like "Navigating the work place"
What were we thinking all those years trying to make our kids smarter. If they want to learn how to do homework save it for College or University. Who needs a work ethic anyway?

Bad parents, Bad!!!

Ah, the whole language program, where the scholastic establishment decided that students entering the real world after graduation wasn't one of its problems.

"Wood yew like fries with that?"

Sadly, many teachers who saw the gross error inherent in the program were forced to apply it along with the feel-good artsy types whose other job choice was barista.

EGads!  How did we ever make it thru school and life not learning how to fail?  Or learning from you own mistakes, or taking responsibiltiy for your mistakes?

Words continue to escape me on matters such as this!

...hey!  Where's the smilieys go???

U.S. officer uses Taser on 10-year-old girl

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2009/11/18/11797046-ap.html

Holy crap! A 10 yr old girl.....

Eye In The Sky said:
Well, not everyone in this country is happy that english speaking white folks are becoming a rare thing...

Many of the Asians in Vancouver are third and fourth generation Canadians...having a longer lineage in this country then many white folks.

I was in ASIST training today. I heard so many dumb things from dumb people I can't recall them all. :(

ENGINEERS WIFE said:

Film at 11:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2009/11/18/moos.mean.soccer.player.cnn

I personally don't care how students of any grade spend their spare time as long as they meet the standards needed and learn what they need to.  Make homework optional? Fine.  Make the course material tougher too, and quiz them more frequently.  They can then find out the hard way how far laziness gets them.  OR find out how hard work really does pay off.  I don't know if it would work for grade school, but it could work well for HS.

I agree that the approach a lot of "educators" have towards their students are pretty lame.  I heard of a school board banning the word "fail" because it has a bad connotation.  I think being forthright and strict is important, because if you hand everything to someone how are they supposed to know how to do anything..... and sometimes, reality isn't nice...etc etc.  Maybe this is why so many young people have this sense of entitlement.  I think they should try and teach them how to think and act like adults.

Forcing students to do a certain amount of mandated homework isn't the way to go about instilling a proper work ethic into them. Or, at least, it obviously hasn't been working to date, and I don't anticipate that changing drasticly anytime soon. Positive reinforcement is much more effective than negative reinforcement.

The way to go about things would be to properly evaluate students on the material learned, offer guidance on how to study should they wish to go ahead and do so, and also offer extra credit assignments to those who either are willing to go above and beyond to excel, or who are trying but may require the boost in order to avoid failure.

Thus, being willing to put in work will be associated with good things, as opposed to being associated with avoiding bad things.

Exactly.

I agree with the positive reinforcement. However, each academic term I teach to students who understand only by the stick methodology (negative reinforcements). Some are quick to realise that I also give carrot (positive reinforcements) when they get things done. Don't tell them, but they also go by the name of Donkey.

Last weekend while shopping at Walmart with my Mom and Daughter I saw a price marker on a shelf that read " Comp Barbie Ass - $9.98" Now I am just sayin....but when did Walmart start selling Ass.

ENGINEERS WIFE said:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2009/11/18/11797046-ap.html

The mother told the officer to taze her daughter because the child would not take a shower and get ready for bed??? All I can say is WTF!  Hmmm, seems the child lacks proper discipline and the mother lacks parental skills.  Not one for condone harsh and nasty corporal punishment, but give me a break!  I once spanked my boys when they were in diapers because babies don't know the word NO! As they got older, they wrote lines for punishment, and if I couldn't read it, back they went.  This not only gave them the "time out", but also improved penmanship..which also seems to be gone by the wayside these days (gads, maybe I'm just getting old and stuck on my ways) And they turned out fine. 
  I've seen it many times where children who have no clue about real life run the adult world, I think the world has gone tooooooo far to one side of teaching children proper discipline-ethics-how to act in public. 
I'm a Beaver Leader and we have one youth who thinks it all right to punch other kids, play bowling with a group of them and hit adults.  When we pull him aside to tell him that this is unacceptable behavior, he swears and hits us !  Where's the discipline and proper behavior there??? 

Am I getting too old? Or should I just shut up now? 

:2c:
:piper: 

Driver I'm with you. My kids were spanked but not beat. After a while when I found someting worse that's what I used. My son was a homebody. He would spend hours in his room reading or drawing. To punish him I would force him outside to play. I know mean guy! My dughter was the opposite. It would kill her to be "locked up" in her room and not allowed outside. That is not to say however, that there were times when I gladly would have used a taser on them especially when they were in the same room. Fight like cats and dogs. My son refused to have a shower once. He went in clothes and all. Other than that we never had a problem with bedtime. They knew when it was and if there was a problem they would lose a half hour. Soon learned that going to bed at 1730 sucked.

My daughter had a temper tantrum one day in the grocery store. As she was screaming and thrashiong around on the floor because I would buy her some cereal she wanted. I walked away and continued my shopping. I was in the next isle over and heard her stop and then call out for me. I called back and she came running around the corner and started again. I walked away again and ignored her. Oddly enough she never did that again. She told me later she was afraid I was going to go home and leave her behind. That thought NEVER entered my mind as far as my wife is concerned!

It's all dicipline. The inmates did not run the asylum. I think picking up the 10 year old and putting her in the shower (minus warm water) fully clothed would have calmed her down a lot. There are always non-viloent ways to deal with kids. You just have to do it!

FDO said:
There are always non-viloent ways to deal with kids. You just have to do it!

Yes we used to call it parenting, now unfortunately a lost art it seems.  ::)

Bye Bye Birdie - What's the Matter With Kids Today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCXr_6wgns&feature=related

:nod:

lol  glad to see I am not the only one with the all the fun!!

My son is the electronic fiend - PSP or computer on the internet.  To get his attention I just block his PSP mac address from my network.  He'll do anything to get that back on.

My daughters are the go to your room punishment - funny thing is they will go in there on thier own for hours but hates it when we make them go.

We just found a new one for our youngest - when he wouldn't sit at the table and eat supper we told him his brother was coming for him and called his brother up from the dungeon.  2 year olds can fly!! Don't know what he thought his brother would do but it worked.

oh yeah - dumbest thing I heard today - you could be right. 
Squirrels in our attic, we see them crossing to the roof and hear them in the attic.  When the contractor looked at the wires running to our house that is what he said - you could be right.  Thank you for stating the obvious Dick Tracy, that is why you are here.

When I was a kid, we took one of those awesome family driving vacations.  My brother sister (14 and 15) and I(9) were fighting like a sack full of soaked cats.  My Dad threatened us twice to kick us out of the car, but we were too wrapped up in our squabbling to recognize that the second time was said slowly, barely above a whisper.  A clear sign of danger to the herd if there ever was one.  he pulled the car over to the side, made us leave the car, and drove off and left us for  what I'm sure was only five minutes, but felt like half a day to us.  They came back, we got in the car, and it was the quietest drive we ever had from there out.  Harsh yes, but lesson well taken in and never forgotten.

"Management and Union tell OC Tranpo Drivers to show up late....to reduce stress."

From today's Ottawa Citizen.

After reading the online comments, it appears the city is giving drivers an excuse to be later than they normally are.

Back