• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

GnyHwy said:
Go Leafs Go!

Hahaha.  Leafs.  They have the record now for being the team to miss the play offs the highest consecutive number of years in a row!  It's a new record  ;D

kevincanada said:
Hahaha.  Leafs.  They have the record now for being the team to miss the play offs the highest consecutive number of years in a row!  It's a new record  ;D

Really?  Then who is playing Boston right now?

211RadOp said:
Really?  Then who is playing Boston right now?

Can't stop the tally until they actually made it back. Only took 1... 2... 5... 9.  Yes NINE years lol  ;D

EDIT: go leafs go

kevincanada said:
My high school days were a long time ago now don't mind my ignorance on high schools of today.  There must be more to this than what was reported.  I remember isolating hydrogen and oxygen from water in my grade 9/10 days and the teacher giving us matches to blow it up.  Using chemicals like she did was just regular curriculum then.  Half the kids had firecrackers stuffed in their lockers.

Makes me wonder why is this event is special.  Secondly if the Principal saw no harm why contact the police?

EDIT:  Figured there was more too it.  "the friend" may have put her up to it and or lied to her. 
Police report found here. http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/05/florida_school_responds_to_cri.php?page=2
If the principal saw now harm, it was more of a butt-covering reaction since if he didn't report it I'm sure there would be hell to pay.

Go Leafs Go!

Canadian.Trucker said:
If the principal saw now harm, it was more of a butt-covering reaction

Exactly.

This reaction is part of the decline of Western Civilization.

Were it not for such experimentation - and much, much more - by those in their youth in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s and now considered great pioneers of science, things like the lunar landings would never have taken place.

Today, budding talent has to squashed early.

My best friend and I blew up an experiment to prepare pure oxygen in the chemistry lab in grade 11. It went off with a huge bang, and the rubber stopper hit the ceiling. Everyone, including our teacher, thought it was funny - even though we got big fat F's on the experiment! Nowadays we'd have been expelled and gone to court for weapons charges, I suppose. Way to discourage experimentation!

The story gets better:

Expelled girl's 'bomb': Toilet cleaner and foil

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57582808-71/expelled-girls-bomb-toilet-cleaner-and-foil/

People like to claim that education is in crisis.

But it's surely no more in crisis than humanity itself, as it veers toward an unknown future while leering into screens for its solution.

However, Bartow High School in Florida garlanded itself in a particularly educative spirit this week by expelling a 16-year-old girl for putting a couple of chemicals into an 8-ounce water bottle and watching it go bang.

Should this tale not have exploded before your eyes this week, Kiera Wilmot wasn't merely expelled for this misdeed on school premises, she was also charged with felony possession and discharge of a dangerous weapon.

Naturally, some people were rather disturbed by the authorities' actions in this regard. Especially as her school principal described her as someone who got good grades and never caused trouble.

Many members of the scientific community have railed against the apparent ludicrousness of the school district. Researcher Andrew David Thaler perhaps summated this incident -- in which no one was hurt and no property was damaged -- best in his compendium of those who, in their early years, had experiments gone awry -- far more awry than this one.

Some have found their faculties temporarily frozen after it emerged that Tammy Glotfelty, the same prosecutor who insisted on charging Wilmot, decided not to issues charges in the case of a 13-year-old boy who fatally shot his 10-year-old brother this week.

Now court papers (embedded below) have been released that offer a little more flesh to the carcass of the school's and local police's stance.

The deadly chemicals in question were toilet cleaner and aluminum foil.

As the Miami New Times reports, the school claims it called the police after Wilmot's science teacher disavowed any knowledge of the experiment Wilmot performed. It seems initiative at Bartow High School is a thing to be feared.

Wilmot, on the other hand, told police that her friend had suggested it and she "thought it would cause some smoke."

Instead, gosh and golly, her principal said it sounded like a firecracker.

For its part, the school continues to insist it did the right thing.

Leah Lauderdale, a spokeswoman for the Polk County School District, told the Miami New Times: "We urge our parents to convey to their kids that there are consequences to their actions."

How very adult.

But did the action here truly merit the consequences of expulsion and a felony charge that will hang over Wilmot for the rest of her life?

Were there no consequences that might have been, say, more fitting to the water bottle experiment? Detention wouldn't have been appropriate? A week's suspension, perhaps? Or even, perish the idea, a little education?

Wilmot was clear with police that she thought she was conducting a science fair experiment.

It's odd that neither the police nor the school district seem to have any concept of the word "fair."

Or the word "science," for that matter.

Heaven forbid that she would have used vinegar and baking soda to gain the same reaction ::)

Anything that Pierre McGuire says during a hockey broadcast. :nod:

"I screwed up and got extra duties as punishment"

Duty is never punishment, EXTRA duty is a blessing!

;D

ObedientiaZelum said:
"I screwed up and got extra duties as punishment"

Duty is never punishment, EXTRA duty is a blessing!

;D

Keep telling yourself that as you dig though the pile of horseshit looking for your pony. >:D

PPCLI Guy

The concept of the exercise is sound, just the lack of forethought and planning that has gone into the exercise especially at this stage of planning process is a bit discouraging. 

While the financial constraints of the exercise while does create some interesting challenges, money is not a large factor (in my opinion) in the outcome of the success of the exercise compared to other issues.

Since each of the brigades are conducting the exercise in their local areas this will greatly reduced the travel costs associated with a concentrated exercise such Maple Defender 0901. The artillery units being the only exception because they are all going to heading to Shilo for Ex Gunner Defender.

The fact that BTS for some of the elements have not been decided is an issue considering most of the units are standing down for the summer in less than 6 weeks.  How are these elements going to meet their gateway training objectives for the exercise when they don’t know what BTS they are required to obtain?

So what is your opinion of the exercise? 

Unless I'm missing something, are not BTS the agreed upon standards to which assigned battle tasks are conducted? These are published for the majority of foreseen tactical tasks.  The exercise order has the assigned unit tasks, does it not?  Conduct those tasks, as well as those that the units may implicitly derive from their respective mission analysis, and conduct each and every one to the established standard.

Perhaps my understanding is severely lacking and truly belongs in this thread...or perhaps not.

Regards
G2G

Exactly.  BTS are an accountant's tool.  They keep Staff Captains busy and hence happy.  The tactical scheme of manoeuvre is known for the Ex, and has been for some time (AFAIK - I am not involved in the design of this ex, although may be involved in supporting it).  Comd's at all levels just need to get on with it.

As of last week, I am now involved in the exercise design and will likely supporting the exercise portion being held in Shilo.  You are correct, all levels of command must start getting on with it. But this is not my first goat rodeo being held by the reserves and will not be my last.

Back