• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

DiscoDisco said:
Unnamed Sh*tpmp walks in to the room and picks up an 1187 shotgun
Unnamed Pte.. "hey man you didn't do your safety procautions on that shot gun, what if there was a f***ing  live round in it?'
Unnamed Sh*tpump " I don't f***ing care if its loaded or not -f*** off

This is a true story i wish it wasn't i would like to think us Gun Plumbers hold ourselves to higher standard when it come to anything to do with weapons. but i guess some people are just dumb

I take it you're having fun in borden ?
Menergy@@@!

Anyways, it wasn't today. But the dumbest thing I've heard, was when I was assisting my res unit with a toy drive for Salvation Army. I leave the building to assist some poor woman secure her belongings to her stroller, and it is -30C not including the windchill, easily the coldest day of the year. Since it is cold enough to claim my ears in mere seconds, I don a balaclava.  Some Cpl from my unit who was also outside, walks by and asks why I was wearing it.  ::)

Later on he and some other Cpl jack me up and state that I was "making the unit look bad" and that balaclavas aren't attractive.  Even if I were helping someone else, and no one else was outside to begin with. I maintained that being safe from the elements is far more important, especially since it was dangerously cold outside, but since they were higher ranking than me, that apparently makes them right. Even if I were to succumb to frostbite (how smart would we look then?)  Later on, some individuals goofed off and tossed footballs at one another in the presence of the media, but nothing was said.

It appears that common sense and logic have went the way of dinosaurs. Apparently preparing yourself for the cold is bad, but looking like imbeciles in front of CTV is okay. 

CorporalMajor said:
I take it you're having fun in borden ?
Menergy@@@!

Anyways, it wasn't today. But the dumbest thing I've heard, was when I was assisting my res unit with a toy drive for Salvation Army. I leave the building to assist some poor woman secure her belongings to her stroller, and it is -30C not including the windchill, easily the coldest day of the year. Since it is cold enough to claim my ears in mere seconds, I don a balaclava.  Some Cpl from my unit who was also outside, walks by and asks why I was wearing it.  ::)

Later on he and some other Cpl jack me up and state that I was "making the unit look bad" and that balaclavas aren't attractive.  Even if I were helping someone else, and no one else was outside to begin with. I maintained that being safe from the elements is far more important, especially since it was dangerously cold outside, but since they were higher ranking than me, that apparently makes them right. Even if I were to succumb to frostbite (how smart would we look then?)  Later on, some individuals goofed off and tossed footballs at one another in the presence of the media, but nothing was said.

It appears that common sense and logic have went the way of dinosaurs. Apparently preparing yourself for the cold is bad, but looking like imbeciles in front of CTV is okay. 

These two "leaders" should come talk to me for some "counselling".  One of the most important facets an NCO should possess is the abiltity to know when and where to use common sense, like wearing something on your head so you don't become a casualty. If you had frostbite, these two should have been up in front of the RSM for failing to use their common sense.

OldSolduer said:
These two "leaders" should come talk to me for some "counselling".  One of the most important facets an NCO should possess is the abiltity to know when and where to use common sense, like wearing something on your head so you don't become a casualty. If you had frostbite, these two should have been up in front of the RSM for failing to use their common sense.
Exactly.  I simply shrugged my shoulders, and resisted the urge to tell them to fuck off.

Perhaps I am more sensitive to cold than others, but my cheekbones literally felt like they were burning off, so I put the balaclava on.  I don't care how stupid I look - the uniform and my kit are designed to keep me alive, not merely look attractive.  I don't wear it to impress others.  I will never let any of my troops be uncomfortable or threatened by the elements unless necessary.

It's not the last time it has happened. On one weekend class I came dressed for the winter with windproof kit because we were going outside later that evening to practice comms.  Yet again another guy spoke to me, and said I was "setting a bad example" because I was the only one who didn't have to waste 15 minutes changing from garrison dress to outdoor dress. 

This "fashion over function" mentality needs to die, and fast. 

OldSolduer said:

I agree Jim and if they fail to grasp it the first time in the Sgt Major's office, then the second counselling session may be old school type.

Danjanou said:
I agree Jim and if they fail to grasp it the first time in the Sgt Major's office, then the second counselling session may be old school type.

Out around back I take it at the School of Hard Knocks......

NFLD Sapper said:
Out around back I take it at the School of Hard Knocks......

Moi.... I was the kinder gentler Warrant ask Tony. 8)

CorporalMajor said:
... changing from garrison dress to outdoor dress. 

Garrison dress? Thought that went out in the mid 1990's

Regards,

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
Garrison dress? Thought that went out in the mid 1990's

Regards,

OWDU
by garrison dress I meant the ordinary dress of the day....cadpat trousers, cadpat tunic.

Watched the anointing of ABM on CNN and BBC World,the dumb
things I heard there would take up too much bandwidth to repeat
here.
          Regards

time expired said:
Watched the anointing of ABM on CNN and BBC World,the dumb
things I heard there would take up too much bandwidth to repeat
here.
          Regards

I called it a coronation.

OldSolduer said:
I called it a coronation.
and you wouldnt be wrong in calling it that.  I am all for pagentry and cerimony but for a contry that prides itself on getting rid of the monarchy they sure do love the pomp and cerimony.  Come to think of it most republick's do.

Okay, this is not a "heard" but a "seen" and the person in question will NOT give me the photo lest it be put on the interwebs BUT...

During a recent large scale exercise of an unnamed brigade in Mississippi, an Ops center was set up with many, many technological advances.  They used all the latest gizmos for keeping track of and managing troops and equipment.  The Supply system was put into full order before the deployment and millions of dollars were spent on getting the latest IT equipment to maximize the use of these new advances.

A certain unnamed unit that takes care of combat resupply and service had a 6 foot table setup in the command center.  On it: a laptop shadowed by a 42 inch monitor.  The picture I have shows this laptop on with the 42 inch screen behind it.

On the screen:  Nothing.  It is turned off, not plugged in and being used as a bulletin board to tape schedules and other important papers on.

Army digitization: FAIL.

Eye In The Sky said:
WTF is a CADPAT tunic?  A tunic is part of your DEU is it not?

Most people just call it CADPAT, cammie-jammie's, the 'relish suit', or combat shirt/pants.  The Air Force refers to it as LWCC (Light Weight Combat Clothing).

Names For CADPAT on the CTS site

Names for CADPAT on the CEMS site
Myself and anyone I've met in LFCA have called either the CADPAT or DEU tops "tunics".

That's what they're called on my kit lists, too.

CorporalMajor said:
Myself and anyone I've met in LFCA have called either the CADPAT or DEU tops "tunics".

Think its a hold back to the Garrison Dress era

CorporalMajor said:

*sigh*

ok then...

WTF is a CadPat Tunic?

It;s a SHIRT!!

Someone needs to check their egos at the Armory entrance. You don't rename things because you don't like the name the Army gave it.

Back