• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what the armour is using right now?

the burkalator

Inactive
Reaction score
good day,

I was just wondering what regiments like the RCD and the Straths are using for vehicles now for traing and in afghanistan now that the leapords are pretty much gone. I am thinkin about doing a component trasfer to the regs in a few years i just dont wanna be in a armored unit drivin iltisis...lol i figured at the very least they r using G-wagons but i dunno.

thanks

Hey there
The Strats still have the Leo C2, and will for some time: the MGS is taking longer (MUCH longer) than expected.  The other vehicle of choice  is the Coyote.  They don't use the LUVW for recconnaisance duties (that's used by the infantry recce patrolmen)

vonGarvin said:
  They don't use the LUVW for recconnaisance duties (that's used by the infantry recce patrolmen)

The Armoured Recce Reserves use the LUVW (GWagon & Milcot ::) ) for recconnaisance duties also.

I know this has nothing to do with the Regs though.

so if i were to go with the rcd waht can i expect to be trained on and use oversease?

the burkalator said:
so if i were to go with the rcd waht can i expect to be trained on and use oversease?
Coyote.  Driver probably.

so the coyote is what the rcd is always usin now..and just fro armored recce correct? and what vehicle are used during armored school?

At the Armour School during your DP1, you would be taught on Regimental histories, Communcations and AFV recognition, LSVW or MLVW and then whatever vehicle that your regiment uses.  If you were going to the RCD, then you'd have to expect that we'd train you to be a Coyote driver first, and if you were lucky we might throw you on a surveillance opperator course after that.

Hello,

I am currently merit listed with the CF for the armoured trade, and hopefully will be getting a job offer soon. I just had a few questions and i was hoping to seek the advice of current troops in the field.

I'll be entering through the recruit school by-pass option, as i have been with the reserve infantry for about 5 years now. I know i will likely lose any rank / time incentives and thats fine, i'm not concerned with that really. My question more is what can i expect roughly once i have completed SQ and my MOC training.

I do not know where i will be posted at this point, though i am hoping to have the opportunity to request LdSH. I understand i will not be guaranteed this, but will make the request. What is the normal role for a trooper once they are intially assigned to their regiment, beyond searching for a box of map grids lol. I know this is likely a vague question, but i was unsure if i would likely be going right to a QL4 course, or what the case may be.

Also, i know this is likely a stretch, but would anyone know the course start dates for SQ / MOC training for the LFCA area? i believe my SQ will be in Meaford. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and i greatly look forward to doning my black beret.

Thank you Advance

Let's put it this way.....You're going to Gagetown.  You'll get your SQ training and then be in Gagetown for your DP1 Crse.  You'll be trained as a Coyote Driver and Surv Op.  After that you will go to a Regiment.  That is the most likely scenario. 

I know this will likely seem like a foolish question, but is there any kind of height requirement for the vehicles? i'm roughly 6'2, 6'3

No height restrictions/limits.

However, at 5'8 the Turret of the Coyote, with SAS and all is very cramped.  Drivers and Surv Ops have a lot more room.  ;D

The Dragoons had a fellow who was well over 6'5", I think he started his career as a Leopard driver.  He was on the Battleschool running concurrent to mine in Gagetown.  As for the Strathconas's, we had a coyote gunner who was about 6'6" or more and an officer who was about 6'5" in the tank sqn as a subbie.  I was his gunner.

Years of therapy have helped, thank you for your concern.

I was 6'3" before the back gave out, and did fine in the Leopard...a well as Lynx, Cougar, and everything else we had.

Stretch was a couple of inches taller than I was and did fine too.

Enjoy your career- the Corps is a hoot.

If you want LdSH(RC) then request the RCD.  Most guys I know got the opposite of what they wanted. I requested RCD and found myself in the province of Alberta - go figure.  ::)  It was only after repeated memos did I get my wish of being a Dragoon.

Regards

reccecrewman, when was that?? I am currently in the DP1 cell of the Armour School and I am pretty sure we try to get everyone to where they want to be unless the military needs them somewhere more important.

It might have been when it was still called QL3. I'm in the same boat as reccecrewman, when I joined 8yrs ago I asked for RCD and they sent me out west.

Bzzliteyr,

I've heard that Gagetown is actually pretty good for that, but Coyote 43D is correct. I did my QL3 Battle School in Wainwright and was on my way to the LdSH(RC).  I lucked out and got a posting message the last week of my course that re-directed me to the RCD.

Sgt. Ian Fox, MCpl. Irwin, Cpl. Sobczuk (The angriest, most bitter Corporal I've encountered in the Corps - he was awesome) Sgt. Croteau.......... Capt. Kiersten was Crse. O.............  Forgot my Crse. WO, only saw him a couple times on the Course, he had just come back from a Roto and was busy with other stuff, I believe his name was Sgt. Brown. Dark hair, moustache, very few expressions crossed his face, it was somewhat worrisome because we didn't know if he was in a good mood or not. MCpl. Kerr was also one of our instructors, he was great too. A PPCLI jack whose old pick-up truck had at least 30 pucks of chew across the dash.  Lastly was MCpl. Wight, an old Dragoon they found working at MTSC in some capacity or other.  That was my Course instructors list.

I can't complain about any of them, they were all good instructors - Sgt. Fox was hilarious, and they all combined for a good go. (As good a go as a Battle School can be anyway)

Regards

Back