• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"What should Toronto’s slogan be?"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Couldn't resist:
Torontoist is imploring readers to dream up a new city slogan to sum up Toronto’s best qualities for a new contest.

The city has had many nicknames and slogans, both official and unofficial. Some were generic and non-descript. Some would be too silly, too crude, too boring or too arcane to plaster up on official signage. And others fit.

But though the Torontoist contest won’t likely have any bearing on Hogtown tourist campaigns, residents will have great incentive to invent a stellar slogan: bragging rights! In recent weeks, Torontonians demonstrated they are sensitive about their city’s reputation. What better way to prove their hometown’s dominance than to unveil the best slogan of any Canadian burg? ....

My submission:  "They only hate us because we're so great!"  ;D

"If community-based ego was mapped like gravity, we'd be the only black hole in the country."

Or, in a shorter form,

"Narcissism-R-Us."

"What do you get when you combine a dysfunctional city government with narcissistic New York wannabes, without the style or class?"

"You're just mad 'cause you don't live here"

8)

It's a city of diverse neighbourhoods. Each one could have it's own slogan. :
http://www.toronto.ca/demographics/profiles_map_and_index.htm

Huffington Post described Toronto as, "The New Capitol of Cool":
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lauri-lyons/toronto-rises-as-the-new_b_632271.html

"Hogtown.  The Big Smoke.  T-Dot.  This rose stinks by many names"

Toronto, like the USA, really does get a raw deal as far as reputations go.

It would seem like the average Canadian has an ingrained hatred for anything that is the biggest of anything. 

A lot of people outside of Toronto assume everyone there is a pompous jerk.  A lot of people from both sides of Ontario assume everyone from Ontario is a pompous jerk.  A lot of people from Canada assume everyone from the US is a pompous jerk.

I know good and bad people from all three groups.

The most curious thing I have found about many Torontonians (is that what they are called?) is that although many exhibit pride to be from the nation's largest city, upon questioning it turns out they grew up and lived within a relatively small section of the GTA, usually no bigger than a middle-sized city of 300-500K. Excursions further afield were generally for the same sort of thing everyone else experiences; vacations, periodic shopping trips, school trips, etc. It is probably an effect of how large a territory any one person will usually become familiar with while growing up.

Personally I'm proud to be from Hamilton.....

"Hamilton - About as far away from Toronto as you can get in a 40 minute drive"  (in every sense of the term......)

or

"Hamilton - Yeah our City is a mess.... but its OUR mess!"

anyways back to Toronto....

"Toronto - Looking better by not being Hamilton for over 200 years"

This thread would be incomplete without:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzCccvr2XIg

"Toronto:  Legendary in Our Own Minds"

I thought it was obvious?

"Toronto: center of the universe!"

Tommy said:
Personally I'm proud to be from Hamilton.....

"Hamilton - About as far away from Toronto as you can get in a 40 minute drive"  (in every sense of the term......)

or

"Hamilton - Yeah our City is a mess.... but its OUR mess!"

anyways back to Toronto....

"Toronto - Looking better by not being Hamilton for over 200 years"

I thought Hamilton was a suburb of Toronto. 

Maybe they could borrow the Air Canada motto.

"we're not happy until you're not happy"

Back