• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Real Toronto DVD, Gangbangers up close and personal

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I saw this on the news and it pissed me off.  This is basically what I posted over in the blueline forums

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20051017-013/page.asp
For most, the "real" Toronto is comprised of vibrant, multicultural communities intent on peaceful cohabitation and honest productivity.

They are not the ones who take centre stage in a new DVD that's been circulating on the Internet and throughout the city.

The video, entitled "The Real Toronto", unveils the inner workings of the increasingly violent gang culture. Bandana shrouded members flash hand signs and show off a frightening arsenal of weaponry in the crudely made production.

The guerrilla video was shot by a man called the Mad Russian and it chronicles life for gang bangers in about nine different neighbourhoods.

Police chief Bill Blair watched the video on Monday night.

"I can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of disappointment and sadness about the total disrespect those individuals display for themselves, for their community and for their neighbours, for a whole generation of young people."

The 40-minute documentary is making the rounds on the web and a Yonge Street video store is selling it for $10.99. It's also being used as an exhibit in a superior court weapon's case.

Police experts have admitted that they recognize several of the young men caught on tape.

"They're not the brightest," Blair adds. "They put their own images out there for us. We'll use that information and we'll use those images to identify them and to bring them to justice."

and found this related article in the Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20051015/DVD15/TPEntertainment/Film

Welcome to the neighbourhood
A guerrilla documentary featuring 'gang members, drug dealers and some of the realest rappers in Toronto' says it's showing a side of the city few people know. Is this truly the real Toronto? JOE FRIESEN reports
By JOE FRIESEN

Saturday, October 15, 2005 Page M3

Two young men stand in a dingy apartment hallway speaking directly to the camera.

"We're so real, we take you right to the snitch's door," says one, referring to an unnamed resident who has co-operated with a police investigation.

"He knows he's watched. If you look carefully, he can't leave his door."

The camera tilts down to a bag of trash slumped on the hall floor, leaning against the alleged snitch's door. The occupant is too afraid to take the three or four steps across the hallway to throw his garbage down the chute, they explain.

"We check his house every hour on the hour to make sure that nigga stays there," says the second man.

After a summer of gunfire that brought the number of shooting deaths this year to 41, a new underground documentary offers a glimpse of a violent subculture that celebrates brutality and has a menacing array of weaponry at its disposal.

The DVD, The Real Toronto, is a dystopian urban travelogue that moves through some of the city's most notorious neighbourhoods. Released last week and sold in a handful of local record and clothing stores in downtown Toronto, its nine chapters treat areas such as Jane and Finch, Black Creek, Chalkfarm and Parkdale as little-known tourist destinations. The packaging boasts of interviews with "gang members, drug dealers and some of the realest street rappers in Toronto," and it's this cast of characters that acts as tour guide, introducing the viewer to groups of young men eager to describe a life of drug dealing and gang banging. They brandish pistols, shotguns and Uzis and pose for the camera with their faces hidden behind bandanas.

The shaky, hand-held digital video production was made over the summer by a 22-year-old white hip-hop enthusiast who goes by the name of Madd Russian. He says although he expects some outcry from critics, the film is not meant to glorify violence.

"I just put the reality out there for people to judge for themselves," he says. "I just wanted to show the struggle . . . for people to see that there are people in Toronto actually struggling. And just like the disclaimer [on the video] says, it's a world-class city but we do have our own fair share of problems that have been swept under the rug."

His film belongs to a genre that has grown in popularity in recent years, most notably with Hood 2 Hood: The Blockumentary, a video tour of infamous neighbourhoods in the U.S. The no-budget films are sold through the Internet, or through independent music stores. The Russian says The Real Toronto has already sold 200 copies at a price of $10 each.

The Russian, who grew up in Nyzhny Novgorod in southern Russia, says he came to Canada 10 years ago and fell in love with hip hop while learning to speak English. He's careful to emphasize that he doesn't know anyone who appears in the film -- these are people to whom he was introduced through connections in the local hip-hop scene.

The only thing that surprised him while filming The Real Toronto was the extent of the firepower he was shown. In one scene, shot at a Jane and Finch area apartment block, a group of teenagers pull .40 calibre and 9 mm pistols from their waistbands before an Uzi submachine gun is flashed for the camera. In other scenes, pistols and shotguns are fired at random into the night.

The Russian says he made a deliberate effort to keep these scenes brief, but he felt they needed to be included. "I wasn't trying to make this as a movie for people to watch just for guns," he said. "But it's important for Toronto to know that there's a lot of guns out there and that in order to get the guns off [the streets] you need to stop people at a younger age."

The DVD is generating some underground buzz in the city. One local record store owner, whose shop carries the DVD, says he's fielded several calls a day since its release.

"Whoever made this film did a great job of street marketing," said the owner, who didn't want to be identified. "I just know it's very popular. I'd say we've only sold about a dozen copies so far, but the calls just keep coming in."

Scarborough City Councillor Michael Thompson said he hasn't seen the video but has heard of similar productions. He hopes the video doesn't promote violence, but says he's not surprised such a video exists.

"It would validate the issue that we're working on, which is that there's a lot of people in the city of Toronto with guns," Mr. Thompson said.

Two senior officers contacted in Scarborough and the Jane and Finch area said they also haven't seen The Real Toronto, but were concerned that it might glorify gangsterism. They note that although the number of people involved in this world is small, they do present a significant threat to public safety.

"It's the gangster lifestyle that comes out of Los Angeles, California," said Superintendent Gary Ellis. "It's a fantasy lifestyle that has stark and dire consequences."

Referring to the scene where the alleged snitch is too intimidated to step outside his apartment, the Russian says he doesn't advocate the kind of violent retribution depicted in the Stop Snitching video that has become popular in the U.S. The video, which features images of gunshot victims and threats against suspected informants, gained notoriety because it featured a cameo by NBA star Carmelo Anthony. Now T-shirts with the slogan have become big sellers in New York.

A couple of themes percolate through The Real Toronto. One, repeated across several neighbourhoods, is the lack of recreational outlets for youths. In one scene, a group complains that their local community centre has been locked up and left to rot. In others, young men talk about how the community worked for years to get basketball hoops installed, often contributing their own money, and while some courts flourish, others are broken down and empty.

"No rec [centre], no playground for the kids, no b-ball court. All we do is smoke and drink and sell drugs all . . . day," says one tour guide in Black Creek.

Elsewhere, on a hot summer night outside the Chalkfarm apartments north of Jane Street and Wilson Avenue, a rapper named J-Staxxx holds court with a small group of friends. A member of the entourage describes his limited options in life: "If you ain't a drug dealer, you're a baller. And if you ain't a baller, you're a rapper. That's how it is down here."

J-Staxxx agrees. "That's how it is. That's how people see it. Quiet niggaz don't make money."

Making money is another central theme -- in particular, mimicking American hip-hop artists who, over the past 15 years, have created a marketable brand identity that often banks on the notoriety of their communities. In The Real Toronto, the men wear an assortment of neighbourhood-specific clothing; T-shirts with the name of their housing complex, a Scartown logo for Scarborough residents, or a photograph of the Jane and Finch intersection. Some are even shown selling the clothing from a shopping cart.

And what they're doing, as they say repeatedly, is representing their neighbourhood. The desire to be scarier than the rest even goes as far as this unusual boast: "We're the second-most drug-infested area in Etobicoke, and that's a proven fact."

Mark DeZilva, who runs a martial-arts school in the Jane and Finch area and who works with local community leaders, says the big talk is typical of teens seeking notoriety.

"When you ask a kid something with a video camera in front of him, then they'll say anything if they think it makes them famous," he said. "And then an outsider looks at it and says, 'Oh, that's Jane and Finch, that's what I thought it was like.' Realistically, it's not how they all talk . . . Unfortunately, the bad things get on TV and make money."

The Russian says the response to the film has been overwhelmingly positive so far, noting that many of the subjects have seen it. He doesn't feel that his film is exploitative. But he's not offering to share his profits, he says, because he hasn't made any. He says he has considered working on The Real Toronto: Volume 2, but he's more interested in bigger projects, something to help the communities that helped him make his film.

I saw the clips on the news, and it is just ridiculous, one retard loads a shotgun and then starts firing at random.  And this article is equally as stupid, its written like a regular movie review for f$#& sake, except no stars!!  I mean when are the left wing bleeding hearts going to start accepting the fact these people are violent, brazen criminals who need to be put away for a long time.  You just don't get anymore bold then showing your face on camera (some these dolts did not wear bandanas over their faces) brandishing illegal firings, firing those weapons in publice and discuss intimidating and threatening witnessess.  The one saving grace is that the idiots are not to bright (see previous sentence), and that TPS is aware of these videos, and has copies.  CityNews was even kind enough to play a copy for the Chief.  Maybe what the should do is make Miller watch it so he and his cronies can see the kind of shit that is out there waiting for TPS and innocent civillians.

Rant off

FWIW, if you ask me, any one of those hoodlums who are immigrants (with or without citzenship) should be placed on a plane back to the "old country" and given 100$ as a bon voyage "cadeau"......

Do we need this crap?

Those individuals who are citzens and whom we are stuck with..... THROW THE BOOK AT EM!
Hard time in jail, possibly an "adventure trip up north where they can learn to live with the Honey Bucket, water delivery and respect for what belongs to the community.

OK rant off

Chimo!

Since they don't do "hard time" in Jail...especially as young offenders.....

I say take a radical new approach with the Baffin Island Correctional Centre.......Drop em off......and have the Rangers check on 'em from time to time.....

SB

Disgruntled Screw

how about Han island?.....
we'll strike a deal with the Dutch?
Please!!

How about if we rotate the light battalions through for a little realistic OBUA training?  Our street gang is tougher than their street gang.

We could always find some small island on the pacific and drop them all there to either work together and survive as long as they possibly could, or more probably, kill eachother.

when i was on Base Toronto in the early  90s, i was part of the Basf  ( base aux security force)  we did a training exercise and we would chat  among ourselves as we did gaurd duty at the various street level gates.  mostly  some of the wiser troops would take the bolts out  of the weapons because we knew the local gangs were well armed and they had bullets in their weapons and  we just had the  C7, empty mag and a bolt.  I do not think the higher ups realized the fears some of the troops on the gates had at night. 

There was a lot of talk at night about the what  ifs ,
i was never told by anyone what  to do if some one did come to the gate and demanded my weapon at gun point?
we were told that we could not leave the base fence line with our weapons because we could be subject to metro police arrests.

there was bad accident outside one of the gates, had to wait for the SGT Major to come to get the "OKAY" to leave the base to give First  Aid , weapons had to be secured first.

Only One duty MP was armed and he worn a red arm band to let us he had a fully  loaded 9 MM not part of the EX like the rest of the MPs

there were a couple of incidents i remember from the exercise that  made other people wonder and think, never saw the after reaction reports, not for my  rank and pay grade to read.

1) the exersise ( Ops center)  HQ and Command center was in the same building as the Credit Union,  the roof top had a sand bagged positions, wire and other army  control and command set up. the credit union was due a shipment of cash and the brink type truck came up and they  would get out of the truck and were very  nervous about all the guns out around them.  finally  the troops guarding the  bank building and the HQ and command center broke down the weapons so the guard could see they were not loaded.

guess both sides needed to see that it was safe..... trucks guards had loaded weapons , army  guys had no bullets.

2) Toronto Transist Bus ran thru the Base. were not allowed to search it because they were not part of the EX.

The street gangs were the more serious threat to the guys on the gates. good thing nothing happened those nights. a few nights later there was a drive by  shooting in front of the base on Keele street. 

i can just guess the press headlines and stories had something happened that was serious when  BASF was on exercise.
just my  thoughts and war stories now.

Its sad to say but the Canadian public would believe the streets are safe and the real scary thing is the idea of giving bullets to the armed forces in Canadian cities. During the first gulf war, the armouries in Red Deer had a 24 hour picket manned with soldiers being armed to the teeth with a C5 and a pointy chair cushion. ???

I believe this would be one of those situations where peoples' rights would have to be curtailed in order to solve the cancer that "thug life" is spreading throughout Toronto. The cops should be going in there like gangbusters...no mercy...and screw evidence...everyone knows what these clowns are up to. They know how the game is played, and they have no problems flaunting that fact.  :threat:

The police have no problem with applying the force necessary to subdue the situation... problem lies with the courts that are trying to show it`s huimanity and ability to be racially, religiously & Politicaly correctness.....
A lot of these kids are coming out of war torn countries where law has broken down and "might is right"...

It will take a justice minister that is willing to say:
"I'm mad as hell and won't take it anymore" - ready to wear his pants and stand up to the bleeding hearts who say that the poor little boys simply aren't understood and only need comforting....

Humbug!

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
Its sad to say but the Canadian public would believe the streets are safe and the real scary thing is the idea of giving bullets to the armed forces in Canadian cities. During the first gulf war, the armouries in Red Deer had a 24 hour picket manned with soldiers being armed to the teeth with a C5 and a pointy chair cushion. ???

Not 100% sure what you are saying here...nonetheless, as disturbing as the gang stuff is and the outbreak of gun violence, the truth is Toronto's homicide rate is NOT increasing. We are at about the same level as prior years right now. It is in fact far safer then Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary etc. Do a search on Google for Canadian homicide rates and you'll see our entire country has fewer homicides then most mid-size US cities. (Not bashing the US, just a fact.)

Media hype aside, Canadians are in fact pretty safe in our cities overall. Some neighbourhoods are more dangerous, admittedly, and there's always room for improvement.

Crap like this video pisses me off royally though...REAL Toronto my arse. My REAL Toronto is millions of decent hard working folks - of every colour and creed - obeying the law, not some fools who like to play "gangsta."

This pisses me off, especially since I'm gonna be paying for these kids welfare and/or prision term in a few years.

x-grunt said:
Not 100% sure what you are saying here...nonetheless, as disturbing as the gang stuff is and the outbreak of gun violence, the truth is Toronto's homicide rate is NOT increasing. We are at about the same level as prior years right now. It is in fact far safer then Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary etc. Do a search on Google for Canadian homicide rates and you'll see our entire country has fewer homicides then most mid-size US cities. (Not bashing the US, just a fact.)

Media hype aside, Canadians are in fact pretty safe in our cities overall. Some neighbourhoods are more dangerous, admittedly, and there's always room for improvement.

Crap like this video pisses me off royally though...REAL Toronto my arse. My REAL Toronto is millions of decent hard working folks - of every colour and creed - obeying the law, not some fools who like to play "gangsta."

Torontos Homicide rate is not increasing YET.  What is increasing is firearms being involved in homicides, and the brazeness with which these dumbasses use them.  They have absolutely no regard for anyone elses safety (as witnessed in the video, where the genius starts firing off shotgun rounds out in the open, or the TTC driver who was struck in the face by gunfire).  The longer we let these thugs attitudes fester, and allow them to do as they will, I gurantee our homicide rates will go up.  We can NOT bury our heads in the sand by using such statements "well the homicide rates are stable right now, so I don't think we have to worry".  Bullshit!!  If we don't get proactive now, right now, we will pay in spades.

Hatchet Man said:

Torontos Homicide rate is not increasing YET.  What is increasing is firearms being involved in homicides, and the brazeness with which these dumbasses use them.  They have absolutely no regard for anyone elses safety (as witnessed in the video, where the genius starts firing off shotgun rounds out in the open, or the TTC driver who was struck in the face by gunfire).  The longer we let these thugs attitudes fester, and allow them to do as they will, I gurantee our homicide rates will go up.  We can NOT bury our heads in the sand by using such statements "well the homicide rates are stable right now, so I don't think we have to worry".  Bullshit!!  If we don't get proactive now, right now, we will pay in spades.

Agreed. And as you will note, I did not say there was no problem, nor did I say what you put in quotes, if that was directed at me. My point is not to buy into the media-driven "chicken little" phenomenon. Rather, let's stay real and take appropriate action - and action needs to be taken.

I took a moment to search the TPS website and was very surprised that there is no gang unit that I could find. Does T.O. not have one? I'd be shocked if that was the case.

x-grunt said:
Agreed. And as you will note, I did not say there was no problem, nor did I say what you put in quotes, if that was directed at me. My point is not to buy into the media-driven "chicken little" phenomenon. Rather, let's stay real and take appropriate action - and action needs to be taken.

I took a moment to search the TPS website and was very surprised that there is no gang unit that I could find. Does T.O. not have one? I'd be shocked if that was the case.

My apologies if it appeared personal. My beef was with people in general who use statements like yours to avoid having to take action now.  I know you never said what I put in quotes, that was my interpretation/paraphrasing of the drivel that most left use.  TPS does have a gang unit, the Guns and Gangs Task Force.  As to who the fall under jurisdictional wise (within TPS) I am not sure.  The Intelligence unit is not listed on their org chart either.

What I meant to say is, why is it that a soldier doing a bft in an urban area draws more calls to the local police than a drug house shootout? My opinion is that the Canadaian public always has a huge outcry when they see soldiers training in populated areas. Whereas typically if there is a gang shooting in a city neighborhood the locals clam up, worried about retribution. Some Canadians are living in fear and yet condemning their own military because they know we will be proffesional and quietly go back to our bases and armouries because grandma moses gets nervouse seeing an army guy practicing urban ops in the city park.

2332Piper said:
Heck, I'm only an hour away from Toronto. I'll make my own documentary..."Idiots with guns, drugs and other stupid things you find in areas that should be razed"

What areas would those be?

Glorified Ape said:
What areas would those be?

I know what you're getting ready to do...Either do it nicely or leave it alone.

People see a video like this and get pissed off! That's all!

Slim
STAFF

2332Piper said:
Anywhere you can find gangsters and gangabangers. Which includes the apartment buildings in Ottawa's Bayshore area, home to gangs of new immigrant kids who run around and mug old women and young children for money (if you don't believe me, go check the Ottawa Citizen's archives).

I'm someone who prefers a direct approach. Relocate the good citizens and raze the area. I read a study (sorry, I'll try to find it) of some major crime areas in many US cities and it was suggested that part of the problem was the area itself. Rebuild the area and you can rebuild the neighbourhood.

I have no sympathy for these kids. None. I don't care how poor you are. Crime is not the answer. I really couldn't care what your situation is, if you don't know right from wrong you do not belong in civil society.

Wouldn't that just shift the problem? If you're not arresting the criminals, they'll just go elsewhere. I don't think razing an area because it has some bad elements is really the answer. I'm as annoyed as you at twits like these, especially because this crap is happening in my home city, but destroying Jane and Finch or Vic Park wouldn't achieve much but to waste alot of money. That, and it's not just the poor areas with the problem - there are plenty of suburban pukes doing this tripe. I can still recall all the lame drama that went on in Etobicoke in my view visits there, with all the idiots from 80K+ families riding around in their oversized SUV's trying to be tough guys when they weren't busy tidying their rooms 'cause their mothers told them to.  ::)

Slim said:
I know what you're getting ready to do...Either do it nicely or leave it alone.

People see a video like this and get pissed off! That's all!

Slim
STAFF

loll Just an innocent question, Slim. You know me too well. :D

Back