• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What should I work on for my MP career?

WATCHDOG-81 said:
MedTech,

There are officers investigating serious investigations.  I believe that the point trying to be made is that conducting investigations is not an administrative activity.

AH! I see! Well I apologize if my post came across that way. It was definitely not meant to be that investigations are administrative activities at all. Thanks again for clearing THAT one up  :)

MedTech said:
AH! I see! Well I apologize if my post came across that way. It was definitely not meant to be that investigations are administrative activities at all. Thanks again for clearing THAT one up  :)

Having read this Thread and paying particular attention to your Posts and suggestions, I am at a lost, to why you feel qualified to offer any advice concerning Duties, Qualifications or Preferences, either in the MP or Civil Law Enforcement.

Such offerings IMO tend to be misleading and confusing to those seeking advice. There are sufficiently qualified and experienced MP and Recruitment Personnel here, just for that purpose.

I would certainally not attempt to answere a Question posted in a Speciality Tread i.e. Infantry, Armoured, etc., I may offer a IMO to an event or situation or occurrence involving one of the Many Branches and Services, but only to that extent, other wise I'd be talking through my hat.

The above is not made as a personal flame or attack, but a mere statement of facts.

Agreed. I really messed up there. I bow my head to those within in the MP trade. Although some of the things that the other members have picked up are merely wording problems, and miscommunication. I can see how there would be those who would miss understand. I've worked civil law enforcement so I'm not at a loss there and neither am I in the recruiting realm, however, once again I do see how miss wording things would be a problem here. Cheers to you and all other MP personnel who've cleared up some misinformation that I had.

CombatMP265 said:
Not to derail the thread, but the last Reg Force MPOC that went through had 5 Officers who CFR'd and 10 "off the street".
And in the big scheme of things, 10 is still a very small number.  Sorry if it looked like I was implying the Branch preferred to minimize direct entries in favour of commissioning "in house".

dusterdust:
Give Gagetown a call anyways, you never know what might happen.

MedTech:
Thanks.  Sorry if it seems like we circle the wagons but for some reason, we're the only Branch in the CF where everyone else knows how to do our job better than us so we can get a bit defensive at times.

hahaha I know how that can be really frustrating. I try really hard to not come across that way, but I guess it failed this time. Thanks again for being patient. This is one of the reasons why I stick around on here :) many usefull info, and people who'll call it when it's wrong. Cheers!

MP 00161 said:
Yikes...

I've sent a PM to Watchdog-81 to look at this train-wreck and offer some advice ref the MPO world if he so wishes...

But in the meantime:

MedTech:

In the MP world, "Administrative things" do NOT include serious crimes investigations or the provision of anything other than "Administrative things".  Although MPO do fill a small number of investigative positions, the vast majority of MPO sit at a desk doing "Administrative things"...at least that's what I think they do in their offices with the doors closed. ;)  Most police work (of all levels of seriousness) is conducted by MP of the rank of Sgt and below.  Also, Canadian doctrine defines more than officers as "leaders" with leadership roles, hence the Primary Leadership Qualification, Intermediate Leadership Qualification and Advanced Leadership Qualification...see a theme here?  Telling someone they need to be an officer to pursue a leadership role isn't on.

dusterdust:

The email in your profile indicates you are in Fredericton.  If so, CFB Gagetown is just down the road.  If you haven't already done so, call 422-2000 and ask for the Military Police.  Explain that you are interested in a career as a MPO and ask to go out and visit the Detachment.  The MPO and MP there should be more than happy to show you around, sit down and talk with you and answer any questions you may have about the Branch.

From what I can see, what you're doing should put you in competition with others who apply and campus cop experience is equivalent to any other security position, at least in my professional opinion.  Unfortunately there is usually an extremely small number of applicants accepted off the street each year so expect a tough fight.

Good advice. I'm available if you want more... PM me.

Back