• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is wrong with teens?

Lexi said:
Not all of us.
Your contribution to this thread reminds me of a comic I once saw in the newspaper.....
There was a drawing of a wall and on it was written, "Illiteracy sux," and there were these two older fellows looking at it.
One of them said, "Well, you can't blame them for trying...!"
Lexi, you are wise beyond your years!

I did, and still agree that grammar and spelling is slipping amongst youth.  But it's likely not much better for a lot of adults as well.

And yes, I'm wearing my poppy, and have been wearing it at school.  Only one of my students has also been wearing one.  

Sundborg said:
I am, and I'm sure most others in the CF right now are aswell.
Of course members of the CF are,
But I'm ashamed that the majority of civilians are taking advantage of their freedom and forgetting to thank those who fought and died for everything we have today.
I was on the verge of yelling out the window of the bus at these parents and saying, "So where's YOUR poppy?" while pointing to my own.
I was trying to be a positive influence and get the other kids to wear poppies.
I'm hoping after a while the old "monkey see, monkey do" trick will work on them.
One can only hope...  :-\

Cheers,
Lex

There was a drawing of a wall and on it was written, "Illiteracy sux," and there were these two older fellows looking at it.
One of them said, "Well, you can't blame them for trying...!"

I Like that... and I CERTAINLY am wearing a poppie.

I was trying to be a positive influence and get the other kids to wear poppies.
I'm hoping after a while the old "monkey see, monkey do" trick will work on them.
One can only hope...

I'm sure that if all teens were like you this thread would never have been posted.

I don't think much as changed since I was a teen with the exception of ongoing technology which surrounds it. Problems and rebels invloving teens have been around for generations. Its part of 'feeling ones oats' and all about growing up.

Same style of problems today with the same roots, but things have evolved a bit. There will always be a generation gap.

When I was young, we all copped it sweet to with attitudes towards the CF, and the army in general, and that was the post Viet Nam war days of the late 1970s.

The GAF factor then as it is now has not changed much.

As for poppies, back in Canada they are common, but even the youth of my day at school etc, many did not wear them. The older generation wore them (and still do) as they lived through it, and understand things in a different way then today.

We are so lucky not to be totally involved in a conflict beyond comprehension involving thousands of casualties (allthough one is too many). We are simply fed what the media wants us to hear, and its a rare occasion when something good happens today in Iraq and is reported, but one bad thing, and its all over the place.

Maybe if the media (along with the Legion) portrayed poppies differently and promoted them, thru education, etc, more would be worn. In general people are people, with overall good morales and values, but you'll always find the rebel mentality out there.

Here, one rarely sees a poppy (our are different).A sprig of rosemary is worn as a sign of rememberance, and are as common as poppies back in Canada on ANZAC Day.

I still have much confidence in todays teens no matter what, after all they are our leaders of tomorrow.

My view.

Regards,

Wes

Rounder said:
    No, what I'm getting at is that grammar is what is wrong with teens. I was trying to be subtle, but are they all as illiterate as the teens on this thread?

i totally hear what ur sayin bro! lingo wiv kidz today sux!

Seriously though, I'm atrocious at everything grammatical. Its not that I didn't listen in high school (I just had bad teachers...  ::)) and now that I am at university its even worse, I only have 1 semester of anything to do with the English language.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, but I'm sure if the â Å“teensâ ? on this board were writing an essay for school or a reference letter for a job etc., a little bit more care would be taken in writing. As long as the posts are legible I don't really see a problem with it. But to counter myself there, I can see why one would say; â Å“f you can write neat for an essay, you should be able to write neat all the time.â ?

i'll try my bestest to write more Legibly from now on!
Especially for you Rounder. :salute:

I agree with what lexi said too. i havent seen nearly enough poppies out and about.

Rounder said:
    No, what I'm getting at is that grammar is what is wrong with teens. I was trying to be subtle, but are they all as illiterate as the teens on this thread?
yo snoop dawg, wat is oop en ur hiZZle biatch... yeah yeah... woooooo, of course, all teens are completely illiterate which is the foundation for all of these sub-eloquent yet still sentient posts. I would not derive any generalizations from any sole section of your life, most likely the only teens you are in contact with are those in service sector jobs.. usually not the most discerning bunch...

How about a new direction here??  What about all of the technological distractions teens have today?  X-BOX, GAMEBOY, PLAYSTATION, PC's, CELL PHONES, PALM PILOTS ....etc.  If you see my point.  Teens today have so much to do and so much technology to do it with, they need little or no effort to get by.  At the cadet unit that I work with in rural Ontario we constantly have teens who don't attend regular parade nights because they have to work or something else is more important.  School is not often the reason for absent cadets but it does come up from time to time.  Perhaps what is wrong with teens is that they don't have to make the same kind of effort that was required in the past.  There isn't even a grade 13 (OAC) anymore.  I don't really think any of us can effectively sum up "what's wrong with teens today" in this forum.  Perhaps what's wrong is what's always been wrong.  Maybe we just didn't see it until we weren't teens anymore??

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

Holy crap when I posted this thread I didn't think there would be such a  huge reply but I guess people have a lot to say about todays teens and their non-interest in the armed forces. Like someone said iis November whay aren't people wearing poppies, which goes back to what i said in the opening post teens today even some adults really don't care or either have no respect for our ladies and gentlemen in uniform. Hope I get some more replies  cheers :salute:

There's no grade 13 anymore because of the new curriculum, so it's not that the information isn't being taught anymore, it's just it's being crammed in in less time.

The Army Guy said:
Perhaps what's wrong is what's always been wrong.  Maybe we just didn't see it until we weren't teens anymore??

Army Guy, I hope you're right, maybe its just a phase... Everyday I see more and more "gangsta" style teenagers. i.e. no respect for anyone but themselves, loud and unruly everywhere they go, ridicule people openly in the streets, get handed things down to them without having to work for them, spend way too much time indoors on computers, basically a complete lack of interest in what goes on in the world around them.

I sit back and think to myself; is this what our future adults are going to be like??? Or is it just a phase that all generations go through, but just with different types of behaviour pertaining to the given social situation of that era?

I'd really like to get some responses for this post from some of the â Å“olderâ ?  ;D guys and gals on this forum. It would be really interesting to hear what you have to say about your years growing up and if you can identify with what a lot of us youngsters are currently going through.

Thanks, Morgs

cant idnetify what these kids are up to . when i displayed the crap they have i'da have my butt whipped or ears boxed . buncha punks tried to pull some crap on me a while ago and were genuinely shocked when i did not do as they told me .  told em what they could do with their ideas and who wants some ? afeter a bit of back and forthing they got the idea that i wasnt  right in the head and then they left pity the fools that does that to a few ppl that i know . they'd not do it again . :rage:

When I was younger I wanted to join the army, but as time went on I though of other careers, but then realized in high school that the military is probably one of the best careers a young person can have. I think that a large problem is that you have a bunch of tree huggers that are teaching kids about wars, and try to discourage them from joining the army. I also find that few if any of our politicians have ever joined up with the army, or are even willing to serve. Plus I find that today alot of teens just don't care about tradition, or anything, all most kids care about is getting laid and finding a 6 figure salary job after high school. I'm still in high school, and right now I don't really enjoy it. Kid's only care about themselves and thats it, most are selfish brats. Plus alot of kids try modelling themselves after Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 cent, etc. I think that it would be good if kids found role models that showed sacrifice, honour, selflessness, and courage, rather than those that hate authority and make a huge fortune of record sales.

I would take a job in the military, police force, or firefighting, any day over a job were I make six figures and make a rich man richer.

My history teacher last year when we we're talking about World War II gave us a verbal list of the horrible things that can happen to you during war, and the horrible things that can happen to your family back home as well as your country, then asked the class how many students would fight for their country given these situations, and I was the only one out of a class of approximately 32 students to raise my hand.

I think that the biggest problem is that kids are always told that you have to go to University or College or they will be unsucessful. I don't have a problem with education, I am a college student myself. In highschool no one ever talked about jioning the army. I was always so who wants information on U of this or U of that. Having said that. I think there is a new co-op program through highschools. (Can someone confirm?) I think this is an excellent idea. There is alot to learn in a class room but, there is also alot to learn about how to live, be proud, know what work really is, and about yourself. I am just into my BMQ and I am enjoying every minute of it. Bottom line is you kids you won't get respect by walking down the hall trying to see who's pants are baggier, you've got to earn it, and anyone who have the guts to join the forces truely desirves it. :cdn:

yeah, there is a co-op option with certain units, I know that my school does it with the QYR's ..

Heres a question, how would one get permission to hold a seminar type event at a high school, focusing on career options in the military? I'd love to do it, but as a Pte. I doubt id be given permission, or the resources. I know my school has a co-op program, which i took, but the attention it gets is next to nothing. My regiment's recruiter does an excellent job with this program, but theres only so much 1 man can do in the entire city of T.O.

Back