• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is wrong with teens?

When I first came here in 64 I was shocked how the kids acted in school!!
In the U.K. you got the cane for answering back!!

I blame the problems on the overt liberal ideology and the techno. age.
How many of the teens have a cell phone and computer?

When I was a teen I was never in the house I was camping,riding my bike ,doing all sorts.
Teens today think they are owed everything and don't realise that you have to work hard to get what their perents have given them.

its a shame that more kids don't care.. but whats worse, is those that do have to wait thru 6 months to a year, of burocratic horse shit when they want to enlist.

cgyflames01 said:
its a shame that more kids don't care.. but whats worse, is those that do have to wait thru 6 months to a year, of burocratic horse shit when they want to enlist.
The waiting game is a part of life and you had better get used to it.

Spr.Earl said:
I blame the problems on the overt liberal ideology and the techno. age.
How many of the teens have a cell phone and computer?

When I was a teen I was never in the house I was camping,riding my bike ,doing all sorts.
Teens today think they are owed everything and don't realise that you have to work hard to get what their perents have given them.

I dont think we can just blame it on one or two themes here, i mean i have a computer and a cell phone and i use them frequently. my mum is a liberal and my dad is a little bit more conservative than most, and he's the one that doesn't want me to join.

I mean, we can sit here and discuss all the problems that face the youth today until we are blue in the face, and them some. the bullshit propaganda from teachers in high school, that watch the 6 O'Clock news, and read the star, and think they are experts on how bad the military is and how its "destroying" the world (had quite a few teachers like that). Parents who pick up after their kids, wait on them hand and foot. i know a lot of adults like this and its disgusting! its so much worse over here than over in england, i came over here a few years ago and was shocked at the way parents were treated by their kids. from what i see, this is one of the biggest problems. parents who work all day and dint get home until about 6 or 7 in the evening and are too tired, or whatever, to interact with their children so its left up to the schools to deliver the political message. which is totally wrong. i mean, when you go to school you listen to your teacher (hopefully) right? and take in what they are saying as fact! and then they start adding lots of subtle and not so subtle feelings and the kids believe what is being said because it is coming from a teacher whom they probably trust and respect. thus starting all this crazy left wing b.s.

I'm sure this post doesn't make very much sense, but it is a quarter past four in the morning.
anyways, the main point is that there isnt one thing that is causing this issue with the teens, but i think that a good place to start battling the issue is in schools. i dint like the idea of sensoring things... it just leads to resentment in the long term. but it would be a good idea if politics in the classroom were left to an actual politics class, where views from all different sides of the spectrum can be put forward without the problem of brainwashing.

I'm 17 and in my last year of high school and its funny. Last summer i did my BMQ and SQ for the reserves and after the course i go to school and its so different. You have students talking back to teachers or showing up a half an hour late, you have people that talk in the middle of the class, people who swear, people who falls asleep in the middle of class just so they can look cool, and people who will smoke dope 25M Outside Of School Near The Woods. You talk to them on what they want to do with there life they will always come up with two answers. 1-"Ill just get a desk job after High School" 2-" after High School I'm gonna take the year off and work at Save On Foods or A&W and see where that takes me". :-

I found that sense joining the military i have become 10x better of a student and i too use to slack off like other people but now see it as being stupid (It also took me a week or so to stop saying the teachers last name after i talked to them, I found it a bit creep).

Teens don't see any interest in the military for mostly of its strictness. Most the people that posted in this forum said they all have friends in cadets, All my friends still go to High School and have civi jobs and when they found out I joined the Canadian Army they assumed i was gonna be a Strict, Obedient Tool and that I wont want to have fun drinking with them or doing the dumb things we always do. I find teens just get the idea that your gonna be yelled at 24/7 and that there is no sense of humor and its all work work work and no fun. The only thing that i talk about that ever gets them interested on the military is the guns and grenades. :mg:

We always get a recruiter from the military at a table in the hallway every once in a while trying to interest people in the military but noon really talks to them.

Just my impression on most teens these days about the military, It kinda helps that I'm at school right now typing this.

Great harveney :army:

WOW.../cheers to the teens/young adults here that are pro military. I used to hang around with the dope crew/skater dude myself when I was a teen. Skipped classes then got thrown out for that reason. Joined the reserves and never looked back. It got my ass in gear and I am now educated IT/Electronics tech civy and going to Regs next week as a LCIS Tech (Just think...good pay trade)
But the problem is as stated above, hippie teachers who think sitting down with banners will solve the problems...not!

But society is changing. Teens these days by the age of 14 are more educated then 20 year olds were in the 70's. More responibility at an earlier age. Which makes teens sick of work/school and want to waste their time.

Pick a career ya like. I loved the outdoors/woods hence the reason why I am in green army fatigues. If ya are a teen and love medicine, go doctor. Canada needs Doctors now. If ya also like the world then join as a med officier in the forces. Its up to YOU.
My advice is pick a job ya can stick to and love. Do not get a job that pays awesome, but ya hate the work. That willc ause ya stress in the long run.

Have fun while ya can and be ready to accept responsibility in life. Enjoy life. Ya only have one chance to live 100years.

/lecture hat off

F/Sgt_mandal said:
I do..........
Me too, and I've been a fanatic since I was 9!   ;D
Seeing as I JUST recently turned 13.. I can say.. yeah, this teen cares.   ;)

I completely agree... I can't count the times I'll be talking about the CF and people will go.. "What.. we have an army?"
I swear.. no joke.. it's happened once or twice...

But anyway, I fully agree.
We need just a little more enthusiasm!   ;D

Cheers,
Lex

Great Harveney said:
Teens don't see any interest in the military for mostly of its strictness. Most the people that posted in this forum said they all have friends in cadets, All my friends still go to High School and have civi jobs and when they found out I joined the Canadian Army they assumed i was gonna be a Strict, Obedient Tool

Same thing happened to me.   A friend actually came up to me and said "Chris, if you join the Army and become an un-funny strict son of a *****, I'll have to kick your ***!"   He was fooling about the *** kicking of course, but I suppose you'll run in to these kids everywhere.

Morgs said:
i mean, when you go to school you listen to your teacher (hopefully) right? and take in what they are saying as fact! and then they start adding lots of subtle and not so subtle feelings and the kids believe what is being said because it is coming from a teacher whom they probably trust and respect. thus starting all this crazy left wing b.s.

I completely agree, but it's the smart students who take the information they receive and look in to it further to see the truth behind the censorship (as you pointed out), at least when it comes to things you're not used to them talking about.   It's not like your going to go home from school one day and research y = mx + b because your math teacher claimed it was how you find the slope of a line, lol.   I'm not saying all teachers are out there lying to us to change who we want to be, nor am I saying that students are stupid because they take information from people and believe it right off the bat, because some do know what they're talking about.   I guess you have to know who you can trust.

I have a teacher who taught at an inner city school (I think it's called inner city) in the U.S. for about 5 years, and she heard that I was going to be joining the reserves soon, but unlike these other "hippie teachers" she actually thought it was a good idea.   So as was said before, not all teachers are in to the propaganda.

I think in some areas you'll find a differing opinion on the CF. (This is only from personal experience , so if I make an untrue statement correct me please.)

Living in Toronto you have a wide variety of options and resources available to get information on it.
But on the flip side, say living in Middle-of-nowhere, Canada and the only option you know of or have heard of is the CF eg. Newfoundlanders make up like 5% of the CF ? (Correct me if I'm wrong).
I know personally i had to ask the CO of my Cadet Corp for information on ROTP (due to an uninformed hippie guidance counsellor).

Whatever it is its a choice that will be made by and individual
                (whether they are informed in that decision is the question)

So I suppose that outside influences do play a role in a teens decision, or any persons decision for that matter, but maybe not as much as it is being built up to be.   Because since in the end it is up to the individual, there could be war posters, recruiters at ever corner of every street, military parents and military friends surrounding an individual with propaganda up everywhere, but if the individual feels that the Army is not for them, then he's / she's made the right choice according to them, which in the end would be better for both the individual and the Army, because say there was all that stuff I talked about (recruiters on every corner, posters etc.), perhaps it would attract to many people who are only there BECAUSE of the outside influences, who in the end would not be a very good soldier.

So what else could there be that distracts teens from the possibility of a career in the Army?   Could it be the fact that the Army is not looked upon as a career (as some others have pointed out), so to a child, or a hopeful, or a parent that an Army "job", not career (which it is) would not be a smart choice by anyone, so no one strives to achieve a CAREER in the Army?   Yes, there are some don't get me wrong, but I know growing up I never even knew about the Canadian Army until I was probably 10 years old (which again links back to one of my earlier comments, about how more information about our Army and it's operations and policies could be available to the public).   Could it also be that not many, not even Canadians take the Canadian Military seriously, which links back as to why the Army may not be looked at as a career?

When I was growing up (Im only 23 now.... ::) )

I grew up with everyone in my family having served in the military,...going back a loooooong ways. It was always assumed that I would join. And I was comfortable with that. When I watched my family step smartly in their dress uniform, the attention to detail, the confidence they exuded I wanted that for myself. I heard people talk smack about our military but it always seemed like water off my dad's back. They never said it to him and thats all that mattered. They complained about our military but not about the soldiers themselves.

Quite frankly I dont want most of the people we're talking about here in the force. Slack jawed yokels, who paid no attention in school because you only need grade 10 to join the army. Admittedly my great grandfather lied about his age and joined so he could go to the "great war". But he was looking for more than a paycheck or a career. He did it because he wanted to do his part. But now I go to family bbqs and listen to how all the older men in my family think my GEN and the next GEN are write offs.....we will recruit as required for certain but we shouldnt be overly alarmed that John Pothead doesnt want to "kill babies". The last thing we need is an underfunded STUPID military.

yes Aaron I see your point. When I told my friends that I'm joining the military after this year they said that it was the worst mistake i would ever make I asked why and they all replies with the same answer "What if you die?" and I replied with the same answer I know all the stuff that I have to go through when I sign up and I am ready to face those challenges head on!! :warstory: I guess what I'm trying to say is tah teens should get a little more involved. If they don't want to get involved adleast have some respect to care.

When I was in high school one of my teachers said that the army was a dead-end job that would get me killed. I asked her why she thought her career had such great opportunities for advancement, then I said at least I could make an effort to contribute to the betterment of our country and the rest of the world... she had no comment on either point. That same class had this girl that used to call me a baby killer, it seems very few people will support you joining the army. All of those people are not important. The people that you should keep close to you are the ones that DO support your decision and stand behind you - these are your real friends... everyone else can f*** off...

"Would you exchange, a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Well, im 17 and i would dream of a career in the military, but not in canada's. Budget cuts and ignorance from the canadian people has helped me steer clear of joining. Do any of you know how well armed the British army is compared to canada's? They have a population of 50 million and they beat us hands down in equipment and funding.

I my ambitions are to be an Infantry officer in the British army. Why the british army? well i hate yanks, and i hate what the stand for. A falsefied nation, who is hated my most of the world. The British army is a well trained and greatly respected force.

A conservative goverment wont solve canadas's problems with its military. The canadian people need to make it heard that they want a significant increase in spending, not just 1 billion, more like 10 billion. Replace aging helicopter, tanks, fighter jets, navel vessals and personel equipement.

Untill then, most educated people like me, looking for a long term career in the military, with steer clear of our forces.

Canuck_25

I think you should look into this more carefully. Firstly, i do not think there is a military in the world that feels it is "completely" funded. It mainly is that most countries that do have funding issues have a population that will support that military because the population has a high opinion of their military. I feel that Canada's  main issue with our military is that we've been told over and over again by both conservative and liberal governments that we are a nation of peace. I'd like to ask the member currently serving if they feel the same way.

Hopefully in time this issue will be changed for the better

Canuck_25 said:
Well, im 17 and i would dream of a career in the military, but not in canada's. Budget cuts and ignorance from the canadian people has helped me steer clear of joining. Do any of you know how well armed the British army is compared to canada's? They have a population of 50 million and they beat us hands down in equipment and funding.

I my ambitions are to be an Infantry officer in the British army. Why the british army? well i hate yanks, and i hate what the stand for. A falsefied nation, who is hated my most of the world. The British army is a well trained and greatly respected force.

A conservative goverment wont solve canadas's problems with its military. The canadian people need to make it heard that they want a significant increase in spending, not just 1 billion, more like 10 billion. Replace aging helicopter, tanks, fighter jets, navel vessals and personel equipement.

Untill then, most educated people like me, looking for a long term career in the military, with steer clear of our forces.

Even though you're going to take heat for this, at least you answered the question we've been asking up untill now...Canuck_25 is a perfect example of what's wrong with teens today.

From Canuck_25
"The canadian people need to make it heard that they want a significant increase in spending, not just 1 billion, more like 10 billion. Replace aging helicopter, tanks, fighter jets, navel vessals and personel equipement.

Untill then, most educated people like me, looking for a long term career in the military, with steer clear of our forces. "

Another '3rd person' Canadian heard from. Tell me, why is it 'their' responsibility to make it heard that 'they' want a strong military but it's not yours? You're 17 years old, you've benefited from everything that Canada has to offer her citizens, freedom, political stability, education, healthcare, reliable food and water, and what do we get in return, what contributions have you made? After consuming what you need, and contributing nothing, you're going to shirk responsibility and walk away. Oh, and you're going to criticize us on your way out the door.

We'd have a stronger military today if the people who thought one was important took action to bring it about rather than criticizing those with other priorities.

Canuck_25 said:
  Why the british army? well i hate yanks, and i hate what the stand for. A falsefied nation, who is hated my most of the world. The British army is a well trained and greatly respected force.

Well, you're definatly going to take heat for that, Maybe you should sit down and talk to a few people who have come to the Canadian Military from the British? I guarantee you're outlook will change. I've looked into joining the RM's extensively, and have come to the conclusion that even though they have all the fancy vehicles, It isnt going to make me any happier over there. No matter what military you're in, you're always going to catch cock here and there.

Hate Yanks and what they stand for? Please...save the Hippy band-wagon tunes for elsewhere, because in case you havent noticed, you arent much different than an American Citizen. Too much Anti-Americanism clouding your view of the world...

Steer clear of the canadian military if you feel it will get you somewhere, but in my honest opinion, its not going to make a lick of difference to your military career (if you have one), other than adding a a burden to yourself with moving to another country..its not as easy as you may think.

Bicque said:
what contributions have you made? After consuming what you need, and contributing nothing, you're going to shirk responsibility and walk away. Oh, and you're going to criticize us on your way out the door.

We'd have a stronger military today if the people who thought one was important took action to bring it about rather than criticizing those with other priorities.

...He cant even say he's contributed by paying taxes, lol.

let me tell you something canuck_25 i lived in england until i was 16, i was in the cadets over there, was seriously contemplating joining the army, but then i got the chance to come over here for school, and for a while i skirted away from the idea of joining the army. but i guess its just in your blood or something because i kept thinking about what it would be like and now i have my interview on the 3rd and I'm not looking back. my point is that i had, and still have the chance to join either military but i would never consider joining the Brit army again. they may have good equipment etc but you think people look down on the Canadian military? from my personal experience, people treat the Brits like crap.
and again, this is another example of some kid (not that i am much older than yourself) who thinks he knows whats best. how can you hate the Americans and what they stand for? A "falsified nation" as you put it and yet love the Brit forces and what they stand for? did the Brits stand by America when bush assured the world that there were wmd's in Iraq? did the Brits stand by America when it became apparent that there were, in fact no wmd's in Iraq? are the Brits currently in Iraq with the Americans?
and after all that "yank hating" I'm assuming now that one of the reasons you don't like them is because of their "bullying, warmongering, take over the world regime" you are talking about expanding the cf budget and how it would be better for the Canadian forces.
i think that maybe you should hold your tongue on the hippie stuff if you are seriously considering a life as an officer in the Brit forces. me thinks that maybe you have some other stuff to think about also

You can't blame the teachers for teens disinterest in the military, based on the fact that few kids actually listen to there teachers. I

Back