• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is training at the Depot like from day to day?

As was said before I would think looooooooong and hard about what you want before joinging the RCMP, and DO NOT go into it if your attitude is that if you get sent to an LDP or a division you don't like your going to Montreal police. If that is how you feel, I would strongly reccommend a Muni Force, like as you mentioned Montreal Police. That being said, if you do get sent to an LDP, you may be bored out of your mind, but many members have said to me they got experience doing small town policing they wouldn't trade for the world. And if you do that and get it out of the way, they will be much more willing when you say, send me to Surrey for instance.....plenty of "action" for you there in the LMD. like I said, think long and hard. In a muni, you are allowed to stay in the same city you enjoy for your career. And in a muni you are stuck in the same city 5 years down the road when you have grown to hate it. In the RCMP you could do 5 years in rural Northern BC, then 5 years in very busy Surrey, Richmond..etc. then 5 years in Ontario dealing with organized crime or white collar crime. Endless possibilites. Figure out what you want in life, then, best of luck to you.

rw4th said:
I know what you mean, I've been thinking of doing this myself.

Same, and I've been in the recruiting process with the RCMP a couple of years now, they're just finalizing a background check which is almost done, and they expect me to go in November.

I'm expecting the training to be like basic, really, with a little more theory.

From the people I've spoken to who've done both, the only things they really have in common are inspections and drill. Depot is geared towards adults and you're not treated like child like you are in basic.

I've already posted on this topic go with what RW4th and STU have said.

nope not like basic. Drill is about it. Range rules.....and the three inspections you are subjected to.....but thats about it.

I found my military experience a big help going into Depot...I also found my troop immature and wanted to 'divorce' my troop on many occasions. They didn't care about drill at all, they wanted to spend more time getting in extra driving than shooting  ::) and basically blew things out of porportion that anyone in the military would have taken with a grain of salt. Such as hating to polish their boots and then getting upset that they got LA the next morning for not having shiny boots (suck it up, stay up an extra fifteen minutes, so you won't get your precious 8 hours sleep and give your boots a once over...)
I wasn't in the best shape going in, clearly I passed the PARE going in, and I passed it coming out, I worked my ass off while I was there. But at the same time, there were some SUPER fit guys who were all about me me me and didn't have trouble when we got a punsish...wait, no, corrective behvious PT class and hated it when the troop got yelled at due to slow run times....then again, they were also the ones who we picked to have the first interals put against them...

Depot is what you make of it. And remember, it's only six months of your life. Go ALL OUT for those six months, and you'll have a career you'll be able to do endless things with.
If you volunteer, if you work your ass off, if you spend time getting to know your troopmates as well as the crim code, you'll get that much more out of it. It's 24 weeks, and you live week to week. Being in week 2, week 24 seem sooooo far away. Being in week 18, week 24 seems even father away. The last week, wearing red serge for Pass out, Reg dinner, number ceremony, it flies by and I wish I could have slowed it down and enjoyed it more. When you're on noon parade and the heat is taking the shine off your boots, just think of how many other Mountie's stood on the parade square, stared at that Chapel, walked past A Block....THAT's just as imporant about Depot as the mid term and the final, and the quals and the PDT scenarios. Join for the right reasons....anyone can be a muni, but not anyone has what it takes to be RCMP.
I've know several Sgts in the reserves that's didn't make it in. They thought they knew everything, had what it took to be a cop. Sure they did. A Cop. Not a Mountie. One didn't pass the RPAT one didn't pass the polygraphy. So when me, their little female clk says's she's going to Depot....not exactly a great reaction. But it's all about what YOU make it.
Blackhorse, love the name :)

Well spoken. It's just so damn hard to actually get to Depot in the first place though!

I passed in my application in 2004 and I'm still clawing and scraping my way through the process. Should have an update soon!

Fry,
Stay true to your goal. It took me six years and I wrote the exam 3 times. If you want it, it will happen. Just keep trying to improve your package. What they don't want to see are lapses either for education, employment or for volunteer experience. By education I mean take at least one course per year( If you are not in full time school) just to show that you're always trying to improve or learn something new.Approach each new experience and weigh it up to determine how it will affect your application, this work for good and bad experiences!

Hope this helps
Noneck

Well, they've contacted all of my remaining references and some more. I'm waiting to see what the verdict is. I would hope they wouldn't have me wait all this time to say no, only time will tell.

Back