• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What if I save the military millions of dollars ...?

LCIS227

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering what type of benefit there would be to me as a no hook private to "repair" a piece of equipment that never really worked in the first place? Let's say I modded this equipment to work the same as a new piece that the military is currently looking into buying? And by doing this , saving DND millions? Someone told me I would be entitled to receive a percentage of the money saved, but I find this hard to believe. Anyone can point me out in the right direction?

See this CFAO:

CFAO 99-2 -- INCENTIVE AWARD PLAN
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/099-02_e.asp

In particuslr, review the eligibility critreia and submission process at ANNEX A -- SUGGESTION AWARD PROGRAM

There is a process that can bee done.  Try looking up the "Suggestion Awards".  I know of people who have received cheques for their suggestions to improve things.  They don't receive much, but it is still a few buck, not millions.  The most I heard about was in the range of $500.

You'll have to properly document your suggestion.  If it is technical, you'll have to include draft diagrams/blueprints, written instructions and photos, etc. to back up your idea.

Anyway, there is a system in place for suggestions that you should be able to find.....I see someone beat me to it... ;D

Sorry, but I'm more interested in just what exactly this no hook Private is referring to. 

Hmmmmmmm...........this one will keep me guessing for a LONG time.

Fill us in once you officially claim this idea as yours.  Anybody have any guesses?

Bin

According to that CFAO the maximum award would be $15K.  Nope, you certainly won't get rich by saving the military millions.

=> $12,050 for the first $1million in savings.  A further .05% of any further savings. 
=> Total maximum of $15K.

Go down and get a patent on what it is you are doing,(first do a patent search to make sure no one else has done it) then get the money to buy the piece of equipment, do the mod then approach a defence contractor whom makes the original product demonstrate your up grade. Hope fully they say wow pass ot and offer you a miliion dollars and a position in the company.

I know that with all the companies I have worked for (past and present) if you come up with an idea while employed by them they "own" the Idea.

I'm not sure if this applies in the CF though.

Chimo

An awful lot of crap being said here.  As I said earlier, Reply # 2, there is a system in place for suggestions of this nature.  They even give you guidelines and instructions on how to go about doing so.  It shouldn't cost you anything, besides materials, etc.  You don't have to go to a private contractor and have him build or modify something for you, as then he will want a fair amount of the cut.  You shouldn't have to go out and get a Patent Search and seek Patent Rights.  All of that nonscience will probably cost you more than any award you will receive. 

Check out the CFAOs and see what they say.

George I agree with your sugestion about going thrue the military system. But only to a point if this project is not worth lots of money.

The chance that it is worth millions of dollars would be a lost chance for this person of they develop  it thrue the military and not a privte company.

Not trying to step on your toes.

Good luck with your project and hope that you get it figured out. 

This one is in my lane - do NOT try to sneak out and patent your idea, or work with a defense contractor, etc. etc. You will be in serious trouble. If you invent something on company time, generally, the company owns it. The private sector is full of lawsuits of people who were sued by their companies and former companies for intellectual property theft. So is the Public Sector.

Please contact a lawyer and get legal advice on your options. Although, if it is as cool and money-saving as  you think - stay within the military, and maybe you'll get 15K and a gong.

It doesnt appear that he has invented anything on company time. He has just thought up of an idea. For a company to prove that you did that on company time would in theory be hard. Saying all of that, the lawyer would be a good thing especially if it is worth alot of money. 

My employment agreements always said "Employed by" and made no referance to being "on company time" you are employed by them from the day you start till the day you leave.

As a side note, you may not have had access to the equipment, so wouldn't have come up with the idea, had you not been employed by the "company" in the first place.

True Story

Man comes up with an idea to cold sterilize gastroscopes, takes idea to company he works for, (Amsco) company says no thanks.

He takes idea and venture capital and starts his own company (Steris), makes millions and buys company he used to work for.

Hey, it could happen to you  ;)

Chimo

One question - if there is no money in it for you, will you still propose the modification?

Perhaps somebody reading this knows a way to pour hundreds of thousands of dollars (each) into aging Army trucks in order to keep the fleet going.  But would that be saving the military money - or just the opposite??  Sorry - off track.

Seriously LCIS guy - get your idea well documented, get your word out, take credit where it's due, and I'd say you could reap the benefits of something more than 15K.  Getting advance promoted could make you a whole lot richer too.  Especially since you'll go straight into Spec pay - CHING CHING!

Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing your name in the Maple Leaf.

Bin

PPCLI Guy said:
One question - if there is no money in it for you, will you still propose the modification?

Yah I would, but I just want to be smart and get the $15k if I'm entitled to it

Things are in progress now

Back