• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What if....A Super disaster? Impact on Canada or the world? Napkin speculation

What do you think it would take the worst hurricane event ever? I only recently learned recently the more the Sahara turns to desert (creates more ground heat and repels more air moisture see Dr Walter Jenhe for more info) has direct influence on Atlantic hurricanes.

Dancing in the streets because we don’t have Trudeau and Gerald Butts being all preachy about 2050 NetZero?
I can hear Trudeau now "Um, er, so this volcano blow up thingy is something we can all learn from and take a message away from this. Volcanoes kill people and that is hate, therefore we shall launch a new bill to ban assault volcanoes immediately"

Someone on here will know far more about this than I, but I recall talking with some emergency management folks on the Ministry of Health side about the earthquake risk on the West Coast.

A 7.0 quake striking close to downtown Vancouver, the most densely populated piece of Canada West of Toronto, would immediately result in over 6000 dead and times 10 wounded.

All the hospitals would collapse, of course, because they aren't earthquake proofed. All the bridges and other infrastructure would disintegrate. All the structures around the downtown area, nearest the water, would cave in as alot of them are built on shaky foundations and breeze blocks chucked in the west coast cedar swamp so they could build up neighbourhoods like Gastown and False Creek, which were originally temporary sawmill towns less than 100 years ago.

The Lower Mainland is the only major municipal region in Canada without co-located CAF resources. You know, the ones who do the heavy lifting in emergencies like this: the Army. Most reservists will be victims, as opposed to rescuers, of course. Vancouver airport, the only way to get aid/ CAF in, and casualties out, quickly will liquefy and burble into the salt chuck.

Frail/ vulnerable people would just die like flies in winter. If it struck in winter, healthier people would die like flies too. Dealing with tens of thousands of bodies will be unmanageable, therefore Cholera would likely kick in pretty quick and kill many more.

Because of the entitlement culture on the West Coast, no one has prepared themselves to survive for the mandatory minimum of two weeks without food, shelter, medicine, clothing etc.

Glass half full: the subsequent, gigantic, Tsunami would do a good job flushing the dead, wounded and debris out into Georgia Strait;)

There's a map in this article that shows the main areas that might be effected. I'm glad that I live on a rocky Island, far from there! ;)

View attachment 71668

Please take California too…

Please take California too…

Unfortunately, because of vast under-investment in preparedness, the costs of recovery and reconstruction post-quake might bankrupt the country so the West would continue to plague the rest of you through eternity in one way or another ;)

These are the good old days. You're welcome! ;)

the rock maui GIF

I can hear Trudeau now "Um, er, so this volcano blow up thingy is something we can all learn from and take a message away from this. Volcanoes kill people and that is hate, therefore we shall launch a new bill to ban assault volcanoes immediately"
That is too prophetic. Stop it. I actually read that in his condescending, speaking quietly to children in exasperation, voice:LOL:.

Many surmise that the Yellowstone eruption would be pretty close to an extinction event
Someone on here will know far more about this than I, but I recall talking with some emergency management folks on the Ministry of Health side about the earthquake risk on the West Coast.

A 7.0 quake striking close to downtown Vancouver, the most densely populated piece of Canada West of Toronto, would immediately result in over 6000 dead and times 10 wounded.

All the hospitals would collapse, of course, because they aren't earthquake proofed. All the bridges and other infrastructure would disintegrate. All the structures around the downtown area, nearest the water, would cave in as alot of them are built on shaky foundations and breeze blocks chucked in the west coast cedar swamp so they could build up neighbourhoods like Gastown and False Creek, which were originally temporary sawmill towns less than 100 years ago.

The Lower Mainland is the only major municipal region in Canada without co-located CAF resources. You know, the ones who do the heavy lifting in emergencies like this: the Army. Most reservists will be victims, as opposed to rescuers, of course. Vancouver airport, the only way to get aid/ CAF in, and casualties out, quickly will liquefy and burble into the salt chuck.

Frail/ vulnerable people would just die like flies in winter. If it struck in winter, healthier people would die like flies too. Dealing with tens of thousands of bodies will be unmanageable, therefore Cholera would likely kick in pretty quick and kill many more.

Because of the entitlement culture on the West Coast, no one has prepared themselves to survive for the mandatory minimum of two weeks without food, shelter, medicine, clothing etc.

Glass half full: the subsequent, gigantic, Tsunami would do a good job flushing the dead, wounded and debris out into Georgia Strait;)

There's a map in this article that shows the main areas that might be effected. I'm glad that I live on a rocky Island, far from there! ;)

View attachment 71668

so those 6000 dead. Would that be where all the expensive ChiCom real estate is at? Would we miss it?

so those 6000 dead. Would that be where all the expensive ChiCom real estate is at? Would we miss it?

Dude, your racism is showing...

Regardless, there are about a million Canadians in that 'ground zero' area and, as we saw with the hugely destructive floods in the Fraser Valley last November, there is a big gap between what we should have in place to help survive a major disaster (especially on the infrastructure side) and what we actually have in place, IIRC...

Or Thunderdome if you need a better soundtrack and legs :)

I thought that was the Trudeau government's responsibility...

I was only familiar with CAN-TF3. Their pay cheques come from City Hall. I doubt they GAF about party politics...

Back