• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What happens if you are sworn in as a pilot, but failed a course (ex. phase 2,3)

zhanhui913

Inactive
Reaction score
Say in your application form to the CF, you put down your career choices in the CF as
1)Pilot
2)Navigator
3)Etc
If you take your CFAT and passed both for pilot and navigator and whatever your 3rd choice is.
You then get the offer as a pilot.
And sworn into the CF as a pilot.
But as you are training in PFT or BFT or phase 2 or 3, you failed that course.
Now, since you failed, i heard that means your course is terminated.
What happens next?
Do you get to go training for your second choice? Or ........???
Let me know.

Thanks a lot.
PS: I am new and i did try searching for this, but nothing related appear.

zhanhui913 said:
Do you get to go training for your second choice? Or ........???

No. If they dont decided to kick you out of the CF altogether, you get offered whatever is on the list of trades availlable for people who are training failiures. My neighbour had the misfortune of failing out of pilot training and has chosen to go the NCM route as he didnt want to become an armoured or public affairs officer.

zhanhui913 said:
What happens if you are sworn in as a pilot, but failed a course
There is a career review to decide if you get another chance to pass whatever course you failed.  If you do not get another chance, you will be sent for assessment by a personnel selection officer to determine what other occupation you might fit.  Your course reports and instructor input will be included in the assessment - depending on why you failed, you may find yourself automatically excluded from other occupations.  If you failed for leadership, then you can anticipate an officer occupation will not be offered.  If you failed for some standard of performance that would be expected of any aircrew, then you can anticipate that you will not be offered any such occupations.  The selection officer will try to recommend something that fits your interests, but that is not a certainty if your aptitudes (which are now better known than when you came through the CFRC) and the available openings don't line-up with the interests.

... there is also a possibility that your failure was so spectaculare as to result in a recomendation for your compulsary release.

MCG said:
  If you failed for leadership, then you can anticipate an officer occupation will not be offered.

People fail pilot training for Leadership???

SupersonicMax said:

All the time!

It can be very difficult to lead your peers out of their rooms at the hotel when there's no room service and get something to eat at the steakhouse in the lobby when they've been working for 5, 6, or maybe even 7 hours in one day!  ;D

Nemecek said:
All the time!

It can be very difficult to lead your peers out of their rooms at the hotel when there's no room service and get something to eat at the steakhouse in the lobby when they've been working for 5, 6, or maybe even 7 hours in one day!  ;D

I'd agree with you, but my standard day is more like 10-12h!

SupersonicMax said:

If one were to fail to demonstrate OLQs.............its in almost every officer course QS.

CA, I know Officer Development is part of the syllabus, however I have yet to see or hear of anyone fail pilot training for OD.

SupersonicMax said:
CA, I know Officer Development is part of the syllabus, however I have yet to see or hear of anyone fail pilot training for OD.

Doesn't mean it can't happen though.......

NFLD Sapper said:
Doesn't mean it can't happen though.......

Having been through the training and having seen some of the candidates that go through sometimes (and pass!), I would be tempted to say it is impossible.

Shoot, I didnt make myself clear enough.
What I meant is that if you pass your IAP, BOTC, SLT.
But fail either your PFT or (AMT, BLSC, BSSC) or BFT or AFT.
What would happen?

MCG said:
If you failed for some standard of performance that would be expected of any aircrew, then you can anticipate that you will not be offered any such occupations. 

I am also wondering if I failed either any courses as mentioned above, is it still possible to be an Air Combat System Officer(aka ANAV) <- (my 2nd choice)???
Since the course that if I were to fail is all flying related courses???

Thanks for your help guys.

zhanhui913 said:
Shoot, I didnt make myself clear enough.
What I meant is that if you pass your IAP, BOTC, SLT.
But fail either your PFT or (AMT, BLSC, BSSC) or BFT or AFT.
What would happen?

I am also wondering if I failed either any courses as mentioned above, is it still possible to be an Air Combat System Officer(aka ANAV) <- (my 2nd choice)???
Since the course that if I were to fail is all flying related courses???

Thanks for your help guys.

Short answer, yes.

You couldn't go ACSO (new term for ANAV) unless you wrote and passed the ACSO exam (95% required to pass).

Max, a guy one course behind me on Phase 3 failed out on OD and attitude.  Rare, yes, but well deserved.

Cheers
G2G

Good2Golf said:
You couldn't go ACSO (new term for ANAV) unless you wrote and passed the ACSO exam (95% required to pass).

Sorry, forgot about that part. 

Anytime that I have CT'd (cease training) a student off Phase 1, 2 or 3, they have always been booked a visit with the PSO.  In the end, they offer you alternative choices.  Depending upon your entry plan (CEOTP, etc) you might not be offered anything else in the Airforce.  Some failed pilots simply wait out their oblig service from RMC as 2Lts and then release from the CF.

Max,

I have known two who washed out due to leadership- possibly three.

And 10-12 hours you work I call bullsh*t unless you call making pop corn work.

;)

How about this - Don't worry about it.

Get in and do the courses.

If you fail, deal with it then.

Regards

Zoomie said:
Some failed pilots simply wait out their oblig service from RMC as 2Lts and then release from the CF.
Of course, there is a new CANFORGEN aiming at reducing the number of untrained pers wallowing for years in holding cells.  If an untrained member fails a career course, there is now a 30 day limit to decide if the member will be either recoursed, occupationally transfered, or recomended for release.

MCG said:
Of course, there is a new CANFORGEN aiming at reducing the number of untrained pers wallowing for years in holding cells.  If an untrained member fails a career course, there is now a 30 day limit to decide if the member will be either recoursed, occupationally transfered, or recomended for release.

Interesting.  Does that count for people who've got wings but later failed their OTU?  (Not me, I swear.  :D )

Dimsum said:
Interesting.  Does that count for people who've got wings but later failed their OTU?  (Not me, I swear.  :D )
It applies to all untrained pers.  Conceivably, if one is not going to get another chance at their OTU, then one could face a compulsary transfer to another airframe as opposed to the occupational transfer or release. 

Back