• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What does 'serving your country' really mean?

mellian

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Since I join milnet and reading various threads along participating in some, the expression 'serving your country' and variations of has come up a lot. It is a concept that has been associated with the military and similar forms of civil service since...well at least the formation of countries and nations, and later on with the rise of nationalism. Like any social concepts, it has changed and evolved throughout history, as in serving one's country can mean and even feel differently than during another era, or circumstances.

Being tied usually to nationalism, it is something one can do to be proud of, an excuse to participate in another grand human need of 'us versus them'. If it not country or the nation,  it is province versus province, left versus right, city versus city, town versus town, team versus team, school versus school, neighourhood versus neighbourhood, gang versus gang, or house versus house...it comes down to the same thing. If the country level version of it does not work, we find a lesser version of the game. If a bigger version comes, such as 'West versus East' or 'Democracy versus Communism', we form larger 'us' to serve in and proceed from there. Eventually, can even become planet versus planet, humanity versus whoever else, etc.  So why help perpatuate it? 

Wherever we are born, and wherever to we end up, we become associated in this 'us versus them' manner, and many of us actively and consentually participate in it, even it may seem quite silly to do so. For those of us that serve our country, it is mainly because we are born in it, or chose to live here. Why are we proud of Canada and being Canadian? Because it is positively different, and somehow 'better'.

I am guilty of this as well, even while being fully aware of how silly it is. No matter the good or bad, Canada is my country, it is where I was born, live, and somehow involved in. I have similar sense pride in regards to Ottawa, my home city, because well, it is my home city, while gradually building up some kind of pride for Montreal where I live presently the longer I am here and involved the various communities and groups I am part of.

Not everyone would be sure, but everyone has this 'group' they are part and proud of, and would possibly be happy to somehow serve under. The sense of pride from serving may happen until after the fact, once your involved and participated in it. The opposite may happen, and move on to another 'us' intentionally or not. In the end, just seems natural to fight for the 'us', even if the 'us' shrinks down to only comprising the 'I'.

What does 'serving my country' mean to me? I do not know, and not even sure if I have yet or not as there is so many criterias for what that is. It is not a reason for why I am applying for the Canadian Forces, as it just seems too cliche. Would I serve my country? Yes, even if being uncertain to its meaning or whether I have already or not, because again, it IS my country, the place I am born and live in, even if it may seem like I am against it with some of my past activism.

So yes, wanted to write all that down as it has in my mind for a bit, especially this past weekend my roller derby team whom I serve gladdly under, love, and very proud of, won the championships this past Saturday night, and we worked hard for it. In turn, I am also proud of my league and everyone else in it. In terms of a 'group' I would fight for and work with, would certainly be my team and league. Hoping a similar sense of pride and feelings can be achieved with the CF.

Also wanted to spur another constructive discussion. :)

To me, serving my country really means that I want to be a part of something bigger than myself. I want to heed the call and accept the challenge that many people dismiss too easily.

I am proud of the soldiers that have served before me to defend our way of life. I am only in the recruiting process, but look forward to doing my part. I am only one cog in the wheel of progress.

Every country around the world is threatened in some way or another, and therefore needs to be defended by it's citizens.

It is a complex question, but for me it means putting Canada before myself. Service before self is, perhaps, the most important element of military life. The concept of unlimited liability is critical. By this I mean that a soldier/sailor/airman can be ordered into situations that could cost them their life. This makes military service fairly unique.

While a unit, squadron or ship should certainly develop the kind of teamwork and sense of belonging that is felt in a sports team (especially at lower levels like the section, vehicle etc), at the end of the day we must remember that serve Canada. The military is subservient to legal civilian authority and exists to serve and defend the interests of Canada. Individuals in the military must be able to execute legal orders regardless of their personal feelings or interests.

At the risk of sounding preachy I don't think that there is anything silly about patriotism. I am proud of Canada and I am willing to risk all to defend it.

mellian,

Personally I am not going to worry about it right now.

I am going to follow the advice of forum and I am getting into shape and if I am selected I am going to follow instructions and ask questions if I don't understand something.

Once I finish my trade courses and if I actually 'do something' then I can sit down one day and figure out what it means.

Actually, you are already "doing something", that happened when you made the decision to join (and will be formalized when you swear the Oath to Her Majesty).

The key elements are deciding that service is a higher calling than "self", and selecting service to the ideals of nationhood (however defined, especially in a nation lacking in clear identity like Canada).

As a proponent of the idea of Civic Nationalism, I will offer this passage from "The Killer Angels", by Micheal Sharra. Although it is spoken by Colonel Chamberlain on the morning of the Battle of Gettysburg, the sentiments are opposed to destructive "blood and soil" nationalism, and thus the principles are valid for us as well:

Many of us volunteered to fight for the Union. Some came mainly because we were bored at home and this looked like it might be fun. Some came because we were ashamed not to. Many came because it was the right thing to do.

This is a different kind of army. If you look at history you'll see men fight for pay, or women, or some other kind of loot. They fight for land, or because a king makes them, or just because they like killing. But we're here for something new. This hasn't happened much in the history of the world. We are an army out to set other men free. America should be free ground, from here to the Pacific Ocean. No man has to bow, no man born to royalty. Here we judge you by what you do, not by who your father was. Here you can be something. Here you can build a home. But it's not the land. There's always more land. It's the idea that we all have value, you and me. What we're fighting for, in the end, is each other.

Tango2Bravo said:
At the risk of sounding preachy I don't think that there is anything silly about patriotism. I am proud of Canada and I am willing to risk all to defend it.

Could be the individualist and activist side of me, 'patriotism' just seems silly in a sheepish manner. Keep thinking of different examples, like blind faith to particular belief, authourity, or others in general throughout history such as world war one. Millions died in a war at the behest of their countries lead by some very questionable people.

Thucydides said:
As a proponent of the idea of Civic Nationalism, I will offer this passage from "The Killer Angels", by Micheal Sharra. Although it is spoken by Colonel Chamberlain on the morning of the Battle of Gettysburg, the sentiments are opposed to destructive "blood and soil" nationalism, and thus the principles are valid for us as well:

Definetely a sentiment I agree with, and 'It's the idea that we all have value, you and me' is something I definetaly identify with.

Mellian,

Being Canadian, you grew up in a country where you had rights as a child, and now you live with the same rights as men (even to consider Armour as a career!). You have access to education, health care, decent wages, and even activism, organic food and fair trade products if you want to be socially responsible and all. If we look at the rest of the world, we're pretty lucky... and I believe that it is a way of life that deserve fighting for.

Plus, Canada is multicultural in terms of language, ethnicities and religions, and promotes equality regardless of background, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc etc. So serving Canada is not only serving one type of person, but a diverse community of citizens that come from around the world.

I was an executive member of Engineers Without Borders at university, and L.Gen Dallaire was the key speaker of a national conference I went to. His patriotism was inspiring, because it wasn't a "we vs them" thing like you mentioned, but because he has a vision for Canada as a middle power assuming a leadership role in politics and peacemaking/keeping.

This is all quite idealistic and airy, but not necessarily what will keep you going under fire though! In the field, you fight for your team, for your men, and for those civilians who didn't have the luck of growing up in a country where we're so privileged.

You seem to me like a girl who likes to stir up things! Maybe you should go Armour... there isn't a worst kind of trouble than combat.  >:D

Cheers.

I'm proud to have served my country, and my city.  This was the best advice I received: 
"When you work for a man, work for him. Give him your dedication, honesty, sincerity and 100% of your skills. If you must damn him, do so from without; quit and then damn him to high heaven if that is your wish. But while you are in his employ, do nothing or say nothing negative about him, or to him."
James Ellis Dolan

1) My father gave me that same advice, although not exactly in those same words.
2) Regarding serving my country, as always, it goes without saying that, compared to others, my  contribution was relatively modest.

From MM: "Give him your dedication, honesty, sincerity and 100% of your skills."

Hmmmm, there are companies that have management willing to reciprocate?

Baden  Guy said:
From MM: "Give him your dedication, honesty, sincerity and 100% of your skills."
Hmmmm, there are companies that have management willing to reciprocate?

hehe I was happy to be a blue collar guy. I never envied my bosses. They had a softer life, and made more money, but they had no job security.  I saw too many marched out the door over the years. I saw them fire TEN - 10 - in one single day. It made me thankful to have a steady job.

mellian said:
Could be the individualist and activist side of me, 'patriotism' just seems silly in a sheepish manner
Your values are in contradiction to the CF's; I question your motivations to join.

mellian said:
Keep thinking of different examples, like blind faith to particular belief, authourity, or others in general
I seem to remember that you want to join as an Officer ? There will be times (should you make it) when you will EXPECT your subordinates to follow your orders blindly; I hope when that happens you will remember what you wrote here.

mellian said:
Millions died in a war at the behest of their countries lead by some very questionable people.
Have you thought about the fact that you may end up a "very questionable person " yourself ? If I served beside you, I would very seriously question your loyalty and integrity.

As Ulysses Grant wrote:
"Experience proves that the man who obstructs a war in which his nation is engaged, no matter whether right or wrong, occupies no enviable place in life or history. Better for him, individually, to advocate "war, pestilence, and famine," than to act as an obstructionist to a war already begun... The most favorable posthumous history the stay-at-home traitor can hope for is... oblivion."
There come times when you have to choose a side; sometimes it turns out that you have to choose the lesser of two evils... so be it. I believe that our way of life deserves to be protected, even if it means people like you are entitled to criticize what I do, and how I do it.

I respect that you want to fight for what you believe in, but make sure you do it from the right "moral ground"; in your case, I doubt the Military is the right place... as Guy Bieler http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Bi%C3%A9ler wrote:
Either you serve or you don't; if you do serve, give it all you've got
I am not convinced you would be able to do that in the CF.

Oh I dont know I think she expressed herself pretty clearly and threw out the fact that she does have beliefs that allow her to feel nationalism and its end results can feel silly.  However she also stated that she has noticed herself going through those same thoughts. 

End result I see someone who has a broad mind and is aware of the responsibilities that joining the CF entails. Personally I think she would make a fine addition.  I have seen all types and sorts join, some make a career out of it many just for a few short years.  I have watched people grow, remain stagnant, or at least do the minimal to get paid.  And with them all the CF continues to function. 

For myself.  I am old enough to have sworn a oath to the queen and even though I was a child I still hold myself to be a monarchist through that more then anything else.  It was a oath I gave freely and still hold it to my heart.  Joining the CF was initially a job that I enjoyed doing as it kept me outdoors.  It fullfilled my need to challenge myself, think outside of the box, serve my country, in a manner that gave me a good paying job with job security, possibility for advancement and outright enjoyment.  My biggest definging moments are two-fold. 

Being 1st Generation Canadian I have heard stories about my Dutch side of the family living through the war, and the occupation.  They raised 7 kids in a time of depredation and challenge.  They helped where they could for the resistance and generally tried to survive carrying a unrealistic guilt that thier country thought it's nuetrality would protect it before the war.  My other side of the family is British and Granddad spent most of WW2 as a PoW when he got caught in Africa.  Tales from both sides showed me that the ability to sit back and not partake is not always a option.  So it was one I chose not to take.

The other major moment was during the Cold War when I was still in the reserves working with G coy 2 RCR during OP Bravelion in Norway.  At one point I was covering my arcs in a area best described as a postcard of the rual life Europe.  There was this little girl watching us do our thing with her poney in front of a Logg framed home that just screamed " peacefull life".  In my mind I saw that and thought.  It is for her and lives like this that I do my job.  ( may be silly but it did stick with me) It also does not only include what were obviously well off groups of people but any person really. 

Being in the CF I have a job to do our Gov't mandate,  I may have little choice in the end what that mandate is.  However I do it willingly as it is my job for my country. 

Jingnostic sentiment aside a final aspect that was covered.  It is my job, there are responsiabilities that go with me doing what I do and I do them willingly. Since it is my job my personal quirks will have me try to do it to the best of my ability.  I gave a overing oath when I joined the CF, I shall do it as long as I enjoy it.

The whole "us vs them" or "we" goes back to Pavlov's hierarcy of needs. The need to belong. I belong to an organization that ensures the rest of the hierarcy of needs are fullfilled. Knowing that I have the backing of thousands of like thinking Canadians kind of gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

Everyone in Canada is entitled to their opinion. When I was younger hardest thing for me to hoist onboard was wether I agree with it or not I have sworn to give my life defending that opinion. Show me another "group" that will do that without trying to force their opinions on you!

FDO said:
The whole "us vs them" or "we" goes back to Pavlov's Maslow's hierarcy of needs. The need to belong. I belong to an organization that ensures the rest of the hierarcy of needs are fullfilled. Knowing that I have the backing of thousands of like thinking Canadians kind of gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

Everyone in Canada is entitled to their opinion. When I was younger hardest thing for me to hoist onboard was wether I agree with it or not I have sworn to give my life defending that opinion. Show me another "group" that will do that without trying to force their opinions on you!

There; fixed that for you. It's Maslow you're thinking about; Pavlov dealt with conditioned reflexes, etc.

Samuel Johnson said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel," and I believe him.

That's not to say it is wrong to love your country, just that some will use your love to manipulate your actions.

I, for one, try to avoid blanket statements of patriotism regarding my country, and instead choose to evaluate each issue and acknowledge both the failings and successes of my country and its people.

As for serving my country, well, I take it literally to mean for the benefit of my country.  I don't serve because I have any kind of ultra-moralistic idea of good vs. evil, only because someone has to serve, and I have the skills required.  That's all.

Individual motivations vary, and change over time. The reasons I joined are no longer the reasons I continue to serve, and perhaps in retrospect, some or all the reasons that I have used to justify remaining in the service have become overtaken by events.

There is the core reason, to serve and protect what I love, and some of those reasons are personal (I wouldn't want my children to grow up in a new dark age ruled by sharia law or tyrannical government), and others are more abstract (so all people can have the right of freedom of speech, ownership of property and the ability to live under the Rule of Law).

Col Chamberlain's speech, saying that "It's the idea we all have value, you and me" is a pretty good summation, and if you feel that your fellow Canadians do "all have value" (regardless of how difficult it is to find, sometimes) then joining the CF, the Police, Fire department or EMS are ways to both express these values as well as protect and preserve them.

Thucydides said:
Col Chamberlain's speech, saying that "It's the idea we all have value, you and me" is a pretty good summation, and if you feel that your fellow Canadians do "all have value" (regardless of how difficult it is to find, sometimes) then joining the CF, the Police, Fire department or EMS are ways to both express these values as well as protect and preserve them.

If I may add our Correctional Officers.

Thanks for correcting that. I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. I have the same luck with 6/49.

Also to my last, before I hear about it. Police, Fire Fighters and EMS fit in to the "group"

mariomike said:
If I may add our Correctional Officers.

I am not trying to start a bun fight nor say Correctional services do not belong.  ( nor police, fire, EMS) we can add Medical services in general, custom agents, National Parks employees, Coast Guard.................... Where do we start and stop.  Civil service is serving your country.  Being a productive citizen is serving your country.  Doing non of that is being served by your country. 

Really I am not trying to start a toast,roast or dog pile fight but the comment about adding correctional services got me thinking where does this " group" begin and end.  Please keep comments civil and lets see if we can expand on this line of thought.

As Heinlein himself stated in Starship Troopers "The rights of a full Citizen (to vote, and hold public office) must be earned through some form of volunteer "military" service. Those residents who have not exercised their right to perform this Federal Service retain the other rights generally associated with a modern democracy (free speech, assembly, etc.), but they cannot vote. This structure arose ad hoc after the collapse of the 20th century western democracies, brought on by both social failures at home and defeat by the Chinese Hegemony overseas. This is a society where John Kennedy's "Ask not want your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" isn't simply a musty old speech, but a core political philosophy." Not  that im advocating something like this but it makes you wonder sometimes would the politicians who do nothing to help some of  problems that we have in the military late equipment orders /cancelled orders, the pension clawback  etc. would they do this if they had served? I dont know occasinally my veiws make me seem somewhere left of TED NUGET and his veiws of democracy . but any way i feel my service has helped me better understand what  a democracy is and how it should be run at least in my veiws . Opinions/ veiws are like a$$holes thjough everyone has one. Anyway my 2 cents is worth what everyone elses is, 2 cents... :salute:

Back