• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Just to touch upon JM’s comments about the HOM cases, at least 4 are with the US DoJ prosecutors in the SDNY. This particular office is notoriously aggressive and seems to be in a reputational competition with the EDNY, who also have some cases referred which they are now turning their minds to after successfully prosecuting Joaquin Guzman (El Chapo). You may recall that when Trump culled the prosecutors in both of these districts early on in his mandate, other prosecutors resigned. The result has seen a slew of younger, aggressive and insanely motivated group of attorneys given high profile files that they will not back down on. ( nor should they).

Vicky Ward Kushner Inc., Greed, Ambition, Corruption

https://www.amazon.ca/Kushner-Inc-Ambition-Corruption-Extraordinary/dp/1250185947

Not a bad book. Obviously targeted at showing the shambles in the White House and the nepotism and kleptocracy that has developed with Trump's election. Many of these stories are not new and should concern any right thinking Republican who voted to shake up the governing elite and "drain the swamp" for the benefit of the country. The end result has instead become a whole new crop of amateurs meddling where they shouldn't in order to line their own pockets or to "build their brand".

The writing is fast paced although this frequently builds to a crescendo which leaves one hanging waiting for a punch line. The book was written before the Mueller Report hints at the fact that there are still sealed indictments out there which will hit out at the Kushners who are not painted in a favourable light at all.

Worth the read? Sure if you have time but get a library copy. It's not worth keeping on your bookshelf.

:cheers:

The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan.  Basically traces a chronological history of the world but focusing on Asia (as in Turkey and east), arguing that western Europe (which is mostly taught in North America) was really small potatoes in geopolitics until the discovery of the Americas.  I'm sure it's not like that anymore, but reading this book really makes me want to visit places like Istanbul and Samarkand.

Just finished jack murphy’s book murphy’s Law

It’s about a guy who went from ranger regiment to the green beret to now being a journalist for sofrep.

I'm reading Sturmartillerie: Spearhead of the infantry, by Thomas Anderson.

It's the history of the German use of assault guns in the second world war. 

Technoviking said:
I'm reading Sturmartillerie: Spearhead of the infantry, by Thomas Anderson.

It's the history of the German use of assault guns in the second world war.

It was a great weapon system at the time when there was much debate as to the proper use of "infantry" tanks and "cruiser" tanks. The Sturmgeschuetz was an excellent compromise to replace the "infantry" tank with a weapon system that was simpler to operate/maintain, and because of its lack of a turret and its restricted traverse capability was able to mount a much heavier gun than a similar sized turreted tank of the time.

I'll have to look that one up.

Busy reading to my niece.

Most recent book I've read is this lovely little story:

Fox And the Jumping Contest

Just because she's only 16 months old doesn't mean she doesn't have an appreciation for silly stories being read in silly voices - she apparently finds my Mad Scientist voice an utter joy, for example.

Now, I just wish she didn't have her father's knack for mimicry - evil laughter is not supposed to come from that young of a child!

FJAG said:
It was a great weapon system at the time when there was much debate as to the proper use of "infantry" tanks and "cruiser" tanks. The Sturmgeschuetz was an excellent compromise to replace the "infantry" tank with a weapon system that was simpler to operate/maintain, and because of its lack of a turret and its restricted traverse capability was able to mount a much heavier gun than a similar sized turreted tank of the time.

I'll have to look that one up.

Of course the Germans never did things the simple way.  Production of the StuGs was run by the Artillery, not the Armour Corps.  And the StuG III was the most-produced AFV in Germany in the war, based on the Pz III.
Having said that, its artillery crews (used as intimate support, I suppose, as well as Anti-Tank artillery) were proud of their role to support the infantry.  By upgrading the gun to the 75 Long Barrel, they were able to maintain their ability to pump 75mm HE shells into enemy bunkers, etc, but also to provide some pretty good AT support.

Just finished this book, a very interesting read by a former Westie....

Appel: A Canadian in the French Foreign Legion

Appel: A Canadian in the French Foreign Legion is the first-hand account of the author’s six years as a professional soldier during the 1990s, and his experience in the Legion's elite Groupe des Commandos Parachutistes (GCP). Joel Struthers recounts the dangers and demands of military life, from the rigours of recruitment and operational training in the rugged mountains of France, to face-to-face combat in the grasslands of some of Africa’s most troubled nations.

Told through the eyes of a soldier, and interspersed with humorous anecdotes, Appel is a fascinating story that debunks myths about the French Foreign Legion and shows it more accurately as a professional arm of the French military. Struthers provides insight into the rigorous discipline that the Legion instills in its young recruits, – who trade their identities as individuals for a life of adventure and a role in a unified fighting force whose motto is “Honour and Loyalty.”

Foreword by Col. Benoit Desmeulles, former commanding officer of the Legions 2e Régiment Étranger Parachutistes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Appel-Canadian-French-Foreign-Legion/dp/177112105X

We Are Displaced by Malala Yousafzai.  She talks a little bit about her story, which most have heard by now, but most of the book is comprised of stories from other displaced women and girls and their journey.

It’s equal parts sad and hopeful - sad that these things have happened to those people, and hopeful that others have stepped up to care for and support them.

Technically it wasn't reading because for the first time ever I listened to an audio book.

"Filthy Rich" by James Patterson is an account about pedophile billionaire Jeffrey Epstein written in 2016 well before the reurgence of charges against him in New York. https://www.amazon.ca/Filthy-Rich-Powerful-Billionaire-Shocking-ebook/dp/B01EFL9BMC

I must admit up front that although I'm a fan of mysteries and particularly police procedurals, I'm not generally a fan of Patterson's. I tend to find his writings lacking depth and the most recent ones strike me as the production of a writing mill leaning heavily on his name and the churned out work product of co-writers.

That criticism extends to this book which is co-authored by John Connolly (another novelist) with contributions by Tim Malloy. The research is shallow and basically a regurgitation of public records that have been better presented back in the day by Julie Brown of the Miami Herald. There is an abundance of smoke but very little in the way of fire. That's not to say that one is left with a disbelief that there wasn't serious criminal activity here by Epstein and several others and that the the state and federal prosecutors treaded too lightly, but there simply isn't anything new here that would get you to say "ah ha!" One is merely left with the hope that maybe the new prosecutions in New York will finally shed some light into the dark recesses of what went on here.

These reviews on Goodreads sum it up for me:

By John Robertson - While it did expose the disgusting behavior of Jeffrey Epstein and the failings of our justice system, the book overall was a convoluted mashup of court interviews, transcripts and narrative set pieces that jumped around with no true logical order, especially the last third of the book.
By EM - ... I am both a true crime and behind-the-scenes politics fan, so I took a chance on his Filthy Rich. Turns out, unfortunately, that wooden writing trumps sex, crime & politics combined. Virtually every page was laden with insufficiently-connected (for my brain, at any rate) names, places & dates. I soon lost my grasp of the order in which the described events occurred, eventually lost track of the police, prosecutors, and lawyers involved, and finally lost interest in the victims and perpetrators. But I did finish the book, hence the 2 stars.
In passing: the best thing about the book was its very clever title. I can't imagine that Patterson thought it up. If anyone knows who did, please tell me - I'd probably enjoy reading something by that person.

I can't believe how many people did give the book four or five stars.

'The Mint': terrifying.... on various levels

"The Mint concerns the period following the First World War when Lawrence decided to disappear from public view. He enlisted in the Royal Air Force under an assumed name, becoming 352087 Aircraftman Ross.[1] The book is a closely observed autobiographical account of his experiences in the RAF. The book covers his initial training at RAF Uxbridge in 1922[2] and a part of his service at RAF Cranwell, 1925–26."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mint_(book)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/767350.The_Mint

- mod edit to fix Wikipedia link -

Let me Finish by Chris Christie.

https://www.amazon.ca/Let-Me-Finish-Kushners-Your-Face/dp/0316421790

One of the better "insider" books respecting the Trump campaign and presidency.

The book basically has two parts. The first half delves into Christie's early life up to and including his winning the governorship of New Jersey. Part two delves into his failed run for the presidency and then his role within the Trump campaign and his views of the presidency.

While I'm sure there's an element of self serving in Christie's account, it rings significantly more true than that of the various books that rely heavily on interviews with Bannon. To put it mildly and to directly quote Christie, he considers Bannon "a fraud. a nobody, and a liar." Christie considers Trump a long-time friend and while he criticizes Trump on occasion, he is much more scathing of the cartel that worked around him including Bannon, Kushner, Priebus, Manafort, Flynn and Sessions all of whom he considers were/are very poor advisors to Trump and more involved in running their own agendas. In particular he criticizes most of them for throwing out the transition plan that he and his team had developed for over five months in order to slip all their favorite cronies into the administration, an administration which Christie considers highly dysfunctional notwithstanding Trump's best intentions. Surprisingly one individual he seems to have fond recollections of is Kelly-Anne Conway who he considers an exceptionally hard worker who repaired the campaign after Manafort's firing.

Well worth reading; especially for Republicans or Trump fans.

I just finished the first book in the Expanse series.  Very much recommended to any sci-fi fans

uncle-midget-Oddball said:
I just finished the first book in the Expanse series.  Very much recommended to any sci-fi fans

Oh man, you're in for a ride.  I've read all of the series so far and it gets...weird.

Dimsum said:
Oh man, you're in for a ride.  I've read all of the series so far and it gets...weird.

They also just realeased the trailer for season 4 of the show. It looks good.

Dimsum said:

I've heard that it's a ride for sure.  Now I just need to find where I can watch each season of the show as I finish each book.

I am enjoying a historical naval read. Its by an author I hadnt read before Chris Durbin The Cursed Fortress: The Fifth Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventure (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventure). This read I think is set before the American Revolution where France held the fortress of Louisberg. The task of the Royal Navy was to stop watch the fortress and interdict its resupply or reinforcement. Halifax is mentioned prominently.Its a good read and when I am do I hope there is a 6th book in the saga.

Back