• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Have now just published The Marina: A Mark Winters, CID Novel (fourth book of the Mark Winters, CID series and eight book in the Allies series). Available through Amazon and Smashwords.

https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Riedel/e/B00459ATSU

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/wolfriedel

https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com/allies-the-marina-a-mark-winters-cid-novel/

US Army Criminal Investigation Command Special Agent Mark Winters is brought into a Tampa Police investigation of an old skeleton at a construction site when an Army commemorative ring from the 1st Gulf War is discovered with the body. Winters’ team follows the evidence to discover the victim was a reservist with the North Carolina National Guard attached to a US Corps of Engineers district in Jacksonville, Florida.

The case leads Winters team to a newly promoted general with the Corps serving in Japan and a further crimes more extensive then they could have imagined.

Throughout, Winters must balance the needs of the investigation with his falling out with the prosecutor over a murder investigation and court martial in Tamp, the hidden agenda by his new boss at Fort Benning to have him replaced and a serious turn for the worse in his relationship with his wife and her demanding mother.

. . . and starting the writing of fifth Mark Winters book.

:cheers:

Just started ‘Everyday Heroes-Inspirational Stories from Men & Women in the CAF’.  Ed. by Jody Mitic.

Good stuff, reading the WW2 section now, looking forward to the modern era stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be reading this recceguy:

https://www.canada.ca/en/privy-council/campaigns/mandate-tracker-results-canadians.html?utm_campaign=not-applicable&utm_medium=vanity-url&utm_source=canada-ca_results

Mandate Letter Tracker: Delivering results for Canadians

Finished reading 'The Compound Effect' by Darren Hardy. I was at a family member's house and started flipping through different books on the reading shelf and this one caught my interest. It is essentially a personal improvement book grounded around the concept that what we do every day, through our routine and actions, compounds over time to deliver a specific result in the future. If you work-out consistently, over time your going to be in pretty good shape; if you engage in a daily reading habit across a broad spectrum of subjects, your going to have something to say in a conversation, etc, for example. It's a pretty easy concept to grasp, which the author highlights and elaborates over the course of easy-to-read chapters. I can say that the book opened my eyes to what I was doing day in and out and how it aligned to what I want my future self to be.
    I had the notion that most self- improvement books are full of crap, but this book doesn't offer any literature to 'quick road to riches' ideas. If you want something worthwhile, there are no over night formulas or success recipes, just consistent action grounded in intelligent hard work. It is aimed at people looking for financial success or health improvement, but the ideas can be expanded to literally any pursuit. Simple idea I know, but it opens one's eyes and makes him/her mindful of one's  everyday actions and where such behaviour, compounded, will lead.

Just finishing "Filling the Ranks  Manpower in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1918"  by Richard Holt.

Published by McGill Queen's University Press, it is summarized as:
Manpower is the lifeblood of armies regardless of time or place. In the First World War, much of Canada’s military effort went toward sustaining the Canadian Expeditionary Force, especially in France and Belgium. The job was not easy. The government and Department of Militia and Defence were tasked with recruiting and training hundreds of thousands of men, shipping them to England, and creating organizations on the continent meant to forward these men to their units.

The first book to explore the issue of manpower in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, Filling the Ranks examines the administrative and organizational changes that fostered efficiency and sustained the army. Richard Holt describes national civilian and military recruitment policies and criteria both inside and outside of Canada; efforts to recruit women, convicts, and members of First Nations, African Canadian, Asian, and Slavic communities; the conduct of entry-level training; and the development of a coherent reinforcement structure. Canada’s ability to fill the ranks with trained soldiers ultimately helped make the Corps an elite formation within the British Expeditionary Force.

Based on extensive research in British and Canadian archives, Filling the Ranks provides a wealth of new information on Canada"s role in the Great War.

You may be expecting that a book on such a subject, especially one developed from a PhD dissertation, would be a dry and tedious tome; you would be wrong.  Maybe I was a staff officer* too long, but this well written treatise (obviously by an officer well trained and experienced in staff work - the author was an RCR LCol) was an easy and enjoyable read and quickly imparted a better understanding of how the Canadian Army developed in the First World War.

*Yes, at one time I was from NDHQ and I was there to help . . . really, I was there to help . . . no kidding . . . I'm not joking . . . hey, stop smirking . . . stop laughing . . . that's rude . . . well, f##k you too!

Czech_pivo said:
Just started Kiev 1941 by David Stahel.

This book is a good read. He has several others released as well.  it does give one pause to really reconsider the extent to which the German Generals wrote history in the immediate post war probably until the 1980's.

Just finished re-reading Starship Troopers by Heinlen.  Forgot how good it was.

Also in the middle of reading Volume 1 of the Browning Machine Gun, the definitive history written by Dolf.  The detail...the photos...wow.

From business Insider 07 Dec 2017:  11 books the US Army's top officer recommends to help understand the world

My children gave me a copy of David Finkel's "Thank you for your service".  https://www.amazon.com/Thank-Your-Service-David-Finkel/dp/0374180660 I am trying to settle into it.  I think it is going to be an uncomfortable read.  I have not seen the movie.

dangerboy said:
Just picked up "Persepolis Rising" by James S.A. Corey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28335696-persepolis-rising?ac=1&from_search=true.

This is the seventh book in the Expanse series, which the TV show of the same name is based on. I have really liked the first six books in the series and enjoy the TV show so I think that I will enjoy this book.

Sweet!  I didn't know the 7th was out yet. 

Glad I just finished reading Altered Carbon (just in time for the Netflix series to be out in Feb).  It had some interesting bits about transferring consciousness to other bodies, and the effects it would have on society (esp criminals and hit-people).

Dimsum said:
Sweet!  I didn't know the 7th was out yet. 

Glad I just finished reading Altered Carbon (just in time for the Netflix series to be out in Feb).  It had some interesting bits about transferring consciousness to other bodies, and the effects it would have on society (esp criminals and hit-people).

Just added that to my want to read list, it looks interesting.

Okay. I've finished reading Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-Fury-Inside-Trump-White-ebook/dp/B077F4WZZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515805136&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+and+fury

For full disclosure let me say that I come at this from a right of centre position with an equal distaste for Canadian Liberal Party and American Republican Party for clearly different reasons. Furthermore I have a longstanding disrespect for Trump which reaches back much further than his decision to get involved in politics. I'm somewhat predisposed to believing bad things about him so I won't dwell on particular anecdotes that reinforced my impression of him.

The book itself is generally well written and easy to read. It flows more or less chronologically and smoothly with the exceptions of two breaks in the flow where I had to check to see if my Kindle hadn't skipped a chapter.

It's very obvious that Wolff's primary source in this book is Steve Bannon. While it is also clear that there are other contributors to round out some events, most of the action takes place from a Bannon point of view and effectively sets him up as the hero of the tale. In that respect if your objective is to get Bannon's take on the President and on the internal fights between the three key White House power bases (Bannon; Chief of Staff Preibus; and Jared Kushner/Evanka Trump) then this is your book until he publishes his own.

One of the more interesting tidbits that comes out of this account is that the vast majority of the leaks coming out of the White House were from the three power blocks as they jostled for primacy and out of Trump himself. Apparently Trump spent most of his evening hours on the phone continuously talking to a wide selection of his billionaire friends seeking advice and validation during the course of which he held back very little. Much of that ended up in the press.

There is very little depth to the book perhaps because the White House that it represents has little depth to it and is portrayed as being run by amateurs. Bannon clearly sees himself as the only one there that had a political philosophy and political agenda (which he credits for the election win) and portrays himself as the only adult in the room. He does credit Trump with an innate sense of showmanship.

Surprisingly, quotes by some of the media notwithstanding, the book isn't as critical and condemning of Trump and his coterie as I thought it would be. It's more about chaos than stupidity. In places it seems critical of the way that the main stream media is handling the White House. Perhaps that's because much of the book is coming from Bannon, it isn't written from an extreme left wing/Democrat viewpoint but more from that of an insider with his own ax to grind. You end up taking the thing with more than a grain of salt but much of it sounds quite probable including some of the more salacious comments attributed in the book to Trump's staff and peers.

If there is anyone looking for the whole unvarnished truth about the Trump White House I expect that it will never be found. Ever. I doubt if one will ever find the truth in an organization where truth and facts and alternate facts are a word game to be played indiscriminately. Wolff himself admits that he did have trouble getting consistent viewpoints about events from the various players and therefore had to determine which were the more probable.

Is it a great book? Nope. A worthwhile read? Yup, and I would suggest for both sides of the aisle.

:cheers:

For fans of sports history I received a copy of Game Change by Ken Dryden for Christmas from my sons.  It is "the story of NHLer Steve Montador—who was diagnosed with CTE after his death in 2015—the remarkable evolution of hockey itself, and a passionate prescriptive to counter its greatest risk in the future: head injuries."  An interesting chronology of Montador as well as other concussion suffers - Keith Primeau for example.
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/game-change-the-life-and/9780771027475-item.html

Just picked up "The Unwomanly Face of War: An Oral History of Women in World War II" by Svetlana Alexievich. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32905382-the-unwomanly-face-of-war. This book was originally written in Russian and has been translated into English. It is a history of Soviet women who served in the Red Army in WWII. You hear a lot about how the Red Army treated civilian women (German and Soviet) as they advanced towards Berlin but you don't hear much about how women in the Soviet forces were treated and what they experienced.

A Column of Fire by Ken Follett...another continuation book from The Pillars of the Earth..probably one of the best books I've ever read. Looking forward to cracking this one open.

Back