• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Winter of the World by Ken Follet sequel to The Fall of Giants. So far excellent!

Reading part of Guy Liddel's diary that deals with the time frame from 19 Nov 1945 to 25 Sep 1946.  During the war years Guy Liddel was the head of Section B of MI-5 which was responsible for counter-espionageand kept a day-to-day diary of time with MI-5. Quite interesting reading about the day-to-day dealings of MI-5 after the war had ended. Also, of interest is that this was after the defection of Igor Gouzenko  (aka "Corby") who is mentioned time-to-time by Liddel and Canada's reaction to his defection. Liddel actually met with Gouzenko early in 1946 while Liddel was on a visit to the U.S. and Canada and gives his impression of Gouzenko.

Note that this is Liddel's actual war diary, downloaded from the U.K. National Archives, Kew, not the edited version that was published by Nigel West a few years ago. 

I've started 'Aftermath: The Remnants of War - From Landmines to Chemical Warfare--The Devastating Effects of Modern Combat ' by Donovan Webster.

The first chapter is with the French Département du Déminage and the amount of ordinance they recover is just staggering; 900 tons destroyed annually.  I picked it up because it was recommended in a footnote in 'A Line in the Sand' by Ray Wiss, which I just finished.

Messorius said:
I've started 'Aftermath: The Remnants of War - From Landmines to Chemical Warfare--The Devastating Effects of Modern Combat ' by Donovan Webster.

The first chapter is with the French Département du Déminage and the amount of ordinance they recover is just staggering; 900 tons destroyed annually.  I picked it up because it was recommended in a footnote in 'A Line in the Sand' by Ray Wiss, which I just finished.

Definitely an excellent read. I bought it many moons ago, and read it several times and recommend it highly.

A Christmas present, World War Z.  Loving it so far, but fear it will be better than the movie when it comes out. 

World War Z is an excellent read. From what I've seen/heard about the movie, the only thing they share in common is the title.

I just started reading Tales of the North Atlantic by Hal Lawrence. An older book but one I've never read before.

Alexander the Great by Phillip Freeman.

Very well done so far.

Major Farran's hat.

I only had the vaguest idea of how Israel was formed. Jeeezzus.

jollyjacktar said:
A Christmas present, World War Z.  Loving it so far, but fear it will be better than the movie when it comes out.

I loved the entire book, except the battle at Yonkers (I think it was called?). Anyways, just seemed so far fetched and I kept thinking, 'There isn't a single crew, platoon or company commander there who says hey! Why don't we just run over them with all these tanks we have?'

Frank Herbert's Dune, a nice classic.  I have the series on my tablet.

BadgerTrapper said:
Just read "The Patrol" by Ryan Flavelle, amazing book. Great insight into the Afghan conflict and great readings for a guy like me that's getting ready for his interview next wednesday. I'm now reading "Fifteen Days" which is good in itself, a large amount of variation to the various viewpoints and everything. Anyone recommend some good reading for a Med Tech hopeful? :)

:nod:

Reserve Rad Op working as a signaller for Coy Comd B Coy 2 PPCLI. Provides a view both from the point of view of an outsider looking in and from that of someone who was part of the team. Very interesting study by the author of himself as well as his comrades and very well written.

I sense that not everything was that great within the coy on the deployment but that may just have been the author's viewpoint. I'd be interested in comments about the book by someone who was there at the time.

Destined to Survive, A Dieppe Veterans Story.

Written by my Great Uncle (Royal Regiment of Canada) who had attempted numerous escapes with other Allied Forces.  Can't seem to put this book down.! 

"11/22/63" - Stephen King.

Even if you're not a Stephen King fan, SOOOOOO good. (If you don't recognize the date, you'll have too look it up... :D)

"...It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else..."

(http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/books/review/11-22-63-by-stephen-king-book-review.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)

Satori, by Don Winslow. Fills in some of the blanks of the character Nicholai Hel in Trevanian's Shibumi. A good read, not excellent.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/books/la-et-book-20110427,0,6553722.story

Shuck10 said:
"11/22/63" - Stephen King.

Even if you're not a Stephen King fan, SOOOOOO good.

I enjoyed it.  Completely different from most of his other books.

PMedMoe said:
I enjoyed it.  Completely different from most of his other books.

Yes, I like several of his books that tend to veer away from the style he's known for. A lot of his novellas are really enjoyable also. My favorite is Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. (Coincidentally, Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies also. If you've seen the movie, check out the book or vice versa.)

Fire Born- Nick Kyme & Ravenwing -Gav Thorpe.

Forever war and Starship troopers are next

Back