• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

leroi said:
But, in the small amount of reading I've done on Canadian Forces missions, a theme re-occurs which transcends authorship; it's something this country MUST fix: commanders in theatre are being ham-strung by Ottawa.

I haven't read Gen. Hillier's book yet but I know from an interview with him that in his book he also mentions when he was comd for ISAF that he said he eventually decided it wasn't worth using the CF for missions that needed to be done on an ASAP basis because the decision process was too slow, and all the relay between the Generals and NDHQ was too much and too long, where as the Brits and the French were more prepared to let their Generals that were there make the decision, and only wanted to be kept in the loop.

ballz said:
"On Killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

Funny thing is I despise most things to do with psychology, and that's why I never bought this book sooner. I knew the manner in which it would be written, and thought I'd probably find myself cussing at it while reading. Not very far into it, but it hasn't disappointed so far.

You get a chance to see him speak, jump at it.  I saw earlier this year, and my friend (Who hosted him and is friends) introduced me to him.  We had a good chat, and the man is down to earth and a warrior through and through.  He is in awe with the programs we have here in Canada regarding OSI's.

He was such the Gent, that he gave me "On Combat" and  autographed with a Psalm because of my work with OSISS.

dileas

tess

ballz said:
I haven't read Gen. Hillier's book yet but I know from an interview with him that in his book he also mentions when he was comd for ISAF that he said he eventually decided it wasn't worth using the CF for missions that needed to be done on an ASAP basis because the decision process was too slow, and all the relay between the Generals and NDHQ was too much and too long, where as the Brits and the French were more prepared to let their Generals that were there make the decision, and only wanted to be kept in the loop.

Yes ballz, I'm a civilian and although I do try to stay in my own lane, I've seen this theme played out so many times and have also read Hilliers's and MacKenzie's books and I think it's time, in fact past time, that the 'government of the day' with regard to a particular military operation involving Canada, begins to trust those "they" deploy to command in a theatre of operation. If Hillier or McKenzie or Dallaire or _________ say to Ottawa "well, we have excellent intelligence that 'such and such' will likely occur between 23:10 and 24:00 on a specific date and it may involve the potential death of an unacceptable number of civilian and military casualties and that means I need permission to do 'such-and-such' and I need, say, an 8 hour window of time to prepare, to offset this tragedy, then these people in "Canadian command" operating in theatre with the burden of potential death on 'their military shoulders' should have a means of expediting the urgency with the GOVERNMENT of CANADA. These military commanders may be in a country that's millions of miles away from Canada and they may need immediate quick response--otherwise death and/or dishonour for CANADA rests on their shoulders.  And  if they don't get a quick response, that's NOT FAIR!!!!! It's disgusting if the reason that led to a tragedy is because it took Ottawa 72 hours to respond to a law-abiding military commander procedurally requesting timely assistance from the country for whom he/she swore allegiance and whose request has been acknowledged but only too late.

Sorry if I offend anyone but that's how I feel-think!

And besides, if other countries are able to respond to their militaries concerns in a timely manner, then why can't Canada?

I think we will eventually cease to be a nation if we cannot do this for our military.

As recommended by Mr. E.R. Campbell, I'm now reading <a href="http://www.amazon.ca/Fearful-Symmetry-Canadas-Founding-Values/dp/1554701880/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260497981&sr=1-1">Fearful Symmetry: The Fall and Rise of Canada's Founding Values</a>.

"In the 1960s, Canada began a seismic shift away from the core policies and values upon which the country had been built. A nation of “makers” transformed itself into a nation of “takers.” Crowley argues that the time has come for the pendulum to swing back—back to a time when Canadians were less willing to rely on the state for support; when people went where the work was rather than waiting for the work to come to them. Thought-provoking, meticulously detailed and ultimately polarizing, Fearful Symmetry is required reading for anyone who is interested in where this country began, where it’s been, and where it’s going."

"The Ten Thousand" by Coyle.  Just something to read.  I am not overly impressed right now with it, but it's not bad either.

Definitely not Dostoevsky, but at least he knows his subject, and doesn't bludgeon you to death with aren't-I-smart technobabble like Clancy.

Kat Stevens said:
Definitely not Dostoevsky, but at least he knows his subject, and doesn't bludgeon you to death with aren't-I-smart technobabble like Clancy.
True, but some of the parts such as "the General wondered if they knew that their actions as staff officers would end in the deaths of many a young man."...

:boring:

And Clancy.  Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunt for Red October I thoroughly enjoyed.  Red Storm Rising ired me.  I read him no more. 

Agreed, he should have quit after Red October.  Coyle's material is much better when he's writing stuff at the Coy/Pl level.

Technoviking said:
And Clancy.  Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunt for Red October I thoroughly enjoyed.  Red Storm Rising ired me.  I read him no more.
Especially worse since he became a "brand" (having others write under his nameplate) - avoid this one like the plague!

I tend to agree re liking Coyle (he also was a tanker IIRC) and Clancy's later works which are much akin to Stephen King just churning them out.

Just finished two as companions to HBO's Pacific

Robert Leckie Helmet For My Pillow

And Eb Sledge With the Old Breed

Highly recommend both. I'm now halfway through Empty Casing by Fred Doucette, not too bad either.

I tried reading Clancy because my father used to like him so, but Red October was the only one I ever did get through in its entirety.

And by recommendation from another thread on this site, I am almost finished "FOB Doc" by Capt. Ray Wiss.  Not a bad read at all..

On deck is "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club), recommended by a friend. 

When it comes to Clancy, I can watch the movies.  Read the books?  No thanks, too detailed.

Presently, I am re-reading Smilla's Sense of Snow.

I am finishing Richard Evans' trilogy of the Third Reich's history. Fantastic research and insight for those interested: myth-debunking, thought-provoking, gut wrenching, all of those at once. Bit of warning though, not always an easy read for on-and-off softies like myself.

THIS is the plot for EndWar?
Prior to this time, all U.S. Special Operations Forces are merged into one combined task force termed the "Joint Strike Force" (JSF). In 2016, there is a nuclear war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, annihilating both countries. This war leads Russia into being the world's leading oil producer. In 2016, Europe becomes one country called the European Federation (EF). The United Nations is then disbanded. The US and EF are no longer allies. After launching the Freedom Star space station from the JFK Space Center in 2020, the space station is attacked by the Green Brigade, a powerful and infamous left-wing ecoterrorist group. All Marines aboard are killed and the Russians are blamed for this. The purpose of the space station is to allow the United States to be able to deploy 3 brigades of U.S. Marines anywhere in the world within 90 minutes.

Technoviking said:
THIS is the plot for EndWar?
Hey, don't forget the Canadian content:
.... Major Stephanie 'Siren' Halverson and her wingman, Captain Jake 'Ghost Hawk' Boyd, observe multiple Russian Ka-29 helos flying over Canadian land. While trying to scare the Russian helicopters back to the border, Captain Boyd's F35 is shot down by rocket fire. Major Halverson then shoots down two-and-a-half dozen more Russian helicopters and tries to land the bird to rescue Jake. He refuses to be rescued because Major Halverson would then run the risk of being captured or killed by the Spetsnaz  forces. After giving her sidearm to Boyd, she returns and takes off in her F35. Soon after, Spetsnaz troops arrive via a Ka-29, and Boyd is killed. Halverson receives a call from the President, and the U.S. fully realizes that Russia is invading Canada. At that time, Canada is the world's second leading oil producer. After refueling and rearming at Igloo Base, which is destroyed seconds after both pilots take off, Major Halverson with her new wingman Captain Lisa 'Sapphire' Johansson and two other F35s attack and destroy a large staging ground with Ka-29 helicopters and AN-130 super carrier jets. During that engagement, a flight of Russian SU-39 fighter jets shoot down all of the F35s, with Major Halverson being the only survivor. Back in the U.S., Major Dennison figures out the answers to the questions. Operation 2659 is the invasion of Canada, and Snegurockha is Colonel Viktoria Antsyforov. Colonel Doletskaya falls in love with her until she dies.

During that time, Outlaw Team is sent to Canada to find Major Halverson and rescue her, their orders from the President himself. Sergeant Vatz's Team also arrives in Canada to combat Spetsnaz troops in the town of High Level, Alberta. Half of Vatz's team dies when the C-130 is shot down. Khaki, an ex-Canadian Special Forces soldier, ow a helicopter pilot responsible for transporting Outlaw team to Major Halverson, lands in the town held by Sgt Vatz in order to refuel. At that point, the Russians stage an assault on the airfield, successfully destroying Khaki's helicopter ....
Whoo-hooo - NOT!

Clearly, Tom has never been to High Level.  People fight to leave there, not to stay.

Kat Stevens said:
Clearly, Tom has never been to High Level.  People fight to leave there, not to stay.

Ah, but it looks like Vegas on the way in to town!

Back