• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what are the chances?

mysteriousmind

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Quick question, with search, I scored no answer.

Do you guys know if there were allot of chance that I could be nominated on my QL3 (Supply tech) this winter with the regs in Borden,  instead of doing it this summer with the Pres.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciate.

MM,
While reservists can be nominated to the Reg courses in Borden, your Bde (35 GBC)
1.  needs to have been assigned a vacancy on the course.
2.  needs to "want" to send you on the course.  Sending you to Borden will run up some additional expenses (TD & travel) that would not be run up if you took your course in Valcartier @ 5 Service Bn.  If they feel they don't need to run up the additional costs.... why would they?

Geo:

Brigades no longer pay for training; funding is now held by LFDTS HQ.  They have indicated a desire not to waste any training capacity; if there are vacancies on what have traditionally been Reg F courses, they will load Reservists.  Courses are like airplanes - one they take off, empty seats are a loss; far better to fill them particularly when the training system is under tremendous pressure due to capacity limitations.  In the big picutre, increased TD for one person is a minimal expense.

That being said, the unit and brigade must support the nomination.  And there must be vacancies available.  Unfortunately, whether there are vacant seats may not be known until around D-30; that may be insufficient notice for some reservists.

Ah - seen.  However, even if the course is paid for by LFDTS, travel & TD will still be on the Bdes nickle.
Also, having heard of the size of the PATs in Borden, I have a sneaking suspicion that they can fill their courses without having recourse to opening to the Reserve... AND, while it would be nice to have 30 day lead time for vacancies, I would estimate that if you have 14 you are lucky... usually more like 5 days notice by the time it filters down to the units.

Geo:

Actually, LFDTS pays TD and travel for courses as well - they have all the $$$ now.

Back