• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Westboro Church Protest Mega-thread

I'm sure that there will be a good number of local law enforcement members who will make themselves available to make things very difficult for these A-holes to carry out their protests.

Maybe I'm missing something here...what exactly are they going to protest?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
This may help, Jollyjactar,
I'm not a fan of the hacking group "Anonymous" but I'll just have to live with being a hypocrite this time............. :nod:

Well, it's a start.  BZ to Anonymous.  :salute:  I was hoping for a plague of locusts, herpes, rabid chipmunks...  This will do nicely for a start, but I'd like to see them put out of business for good like that Camping idiot.

the 48th regulator said:
They claim that God Sent the shooter...

http://www.godhatesfags.com/#

dileas

tess

Oh, FFS....are you serious? Whose God would send that on anyone?

RDJP said:
Oh, FFS....are you serious? Who's Whose God would send that on anyone?
I was going to say, why blame human stupidity on some mythical character, but then I remembered.......

GQqi5UgqrU-0SZC5CEIJjA2.png
  :nod:

Here is a link to CNET's coverage of the Westboro situation.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57559468-93/hackers-target-westboro-baptist-church-after-newtown-threat/

It has a copy of the tweet from Shirley Phelps - Roper, daughter and consigliere of Rev. Phelps, leader of the WBC group.

Westboro will picket Sandy Hook Elementary School to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment.

And Anonymous quote

We will not allow you to corrupt the minds of America with your seeds of hatred. We will not allow you to inspire aggression to the social factions which you deem inferior. We will render you obsolete. We will destroy you. We are coming.

Sheep Dog AT said:
Just what can Anonymous do to them anyway?
Be an irritant...

...much like Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in Halloween, because they hate it when people come to their doors to bother them.  ;)

Sheep Dog AT said:
Just what can Anonymous do to them anyway?

Nothing absolutely nothing.  Being that they are the elite hackers of today, what could they do??
:sarcasm:

Not like they could broadcast their Addresses, Work info, Bank information, Criminal records.....You know all the stuff you and I would like kept hidden.

:facepalm:

I meant more physical actions.  Can they freeze their bank accounts or tag away their money?  Can they plant a virus to make all their computers expensive paper weights?  Those kind of actions

Am I the only one who sees the irony in all this?  An anonymous group who is able to - among other things - protest due in part to their anonymity reveals the personal details of a group that protests openly out in public where the world can see their faces.  Does nobody else the irony here?

By no means am I in agreement with the church but you have to admit they are vocal about their beliefs and are not afraid to voice them even when it is controversial.  Meanwhile, most people would just bite their lip and comment about their grievances or discuss their personal beliefs behind closed doors. 

Here's another food for thought.  Some posters mentioned the right of the church to protest and the sanctity of that right; however on the flip side you have people from sites related to whistle-blowers who are detained and/or sanctioned against for exercising similar rights.  I suppose if at some point the church's protests became an issue of national security then it may be fair to compare them?

Urmimu said:
Here's another food for thought.  Some posters mentioned the right of the church to protest and the sanctity of that right;

I agree but what of my right to grieve the loss of my son at the graveside and not be bothered by these type of protests. Whose rights are the most important?  ???

missing1 said:

I agree but what of my right to grieve the loss of my son at the graveside and not be bothered by these type of protests. Whose rights are the most important?  ???

Yours.

It gets better. The KKK showed up to counter protest WBC.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/klu-klux-klan-protests-westboro-baptist-church-video/2011/05/31/AGgoiPFH_blog.html

ObedientiaZelum said:

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  The Westboro people are ignorant and unforgiveably rude buffoons who have absolutely no shred of decency.  That said, there is no "right" not to be offended.

Unless the Westboro people are actually inciting violence, they have a right to free speech, as miserable as their message is.  If you disagree with this- consider:  Who then decides what is acceptable to say?  You?  A government agency?  How long in advance of your "free" speech does one submit draft of that speech for approval?

Urmimu said:
Am I the only one who sees the irony in all this?  An anonymous group who is able to - among other things - protest due in part to their anonymity reveals the personal details of a group that protests openly out in public where the world can see their faces.  Does nobody else the irony here?

By no means am I in agreement with the church but you have to admit they are vocal about their beliefs and are not afraid to voice them even when it is controversial.  Meanwhile, most people would just bite their lip and comment about their grievances or discuss their personal beliefs behind closed doors. 

Here's another food for thought.  Some posters mentioned the right of the church to protest and the sanctity of that right; however on the flip side you have people from sites related to whistle-blowers who are detained and/or sanctioned against for exercising similar rights.  I suppose if at some point the church's protests became an issue of national security then it may be fair to compare them?

I detest the people in the Westboro Baptist Church, they are closer to pond scum than to rational human beings,  and I might contribute to the defence fund of anyone who subjected members to a public flogging ... BUT they do have a right to free speech in our liberal democracy - but please note that they might be flogged (as punishment for an offence against the public order) in the conservative democracy of Singapore - and we, liberal democrats hold that right to be of great importance. Does it trump someone else's right to privacy? Yes, when a person wants to commit a private act (grieving) in a public place - like a cemetery.

SeaKingTacco said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree.  The Westboro people are ignorant and unforgiveably rude buffoons who have absolutely no shred of decency.  That said, there is no "right" not to be offended.

Unless the Westboro people are actually inciting violence, they have a right to free speech, as miserable as their message is.  If you disagree with this- consider:  Who then decides what is acceptable to say?  You?  A government agency?  How long in advance of your "free" speech does one submit draft of that speech for approval?

Unless they are deemed to be a group who incites hate and I believe can be arrested.

Back