• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Westboro Baptist Church Plans to Protest Elizabeth Taylor's Funeral

AirForceMonkey said:
And things like what these people are doing doesn't help people's view about Christians. It makes me mad and sad at the same time

I honestly don't think it hurts people's view of Christians. I'm as anti-religious institutions as they come, and I post lots of WBC clips on youtube to point out how religion has mindf**ked some people... but it has nothing to do with Christianity from my perspective.

Now, if there were (are?) a large amount of WBC followers that weren't all backasswards like these folks, it would certainly make me think poorly of those non-backassward WBC followers that they could support and pay money into this organization after the kind of stuff they do... but that's really no different than me questioning why a Catholic puts money into the collection pot after the Pope tried to cover up for the various priests and their crimes...

I just opened a rotten can of worms didn't I? I sense a thread being split.

AFM,

Yup.  They're Christianity Walts.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walts

and, ballz, that's not so much an open can o' worms as it is a dead horse.  It's been debated here over, and over again.  People disagree, and you're not likely to convert any of us religious folks, as much as we're unlikely to convert you.  My vote is that we should drop that particular train of thought, as this site is specifically about the Canadian military (even though this is Radio Chatter).  There are better forums to debate faith or the lack thereof.  Let's not crayon all over this one.

ivan the tolerable said:
AFM,

Yup.  They're Christianity Walts.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walts

and, ballz, that's not so much an open can o' worms as it is a dead horse.  It's been debated here over, and over again.  People disagree, and you're not likely to convert any of us religious folks, as much as we're unlikely to convert you.  My vote is that we should drop that particular train of thought, as this site is specifically about the Canadian military (even though this is Radio Chatter).  There are better forums to debate faith or the lack thereof.  Let's not crayon all over this one.

For the record, my comment was not necessarily about religion but all organized groups and digging their own grave when it comes to "being thought poorly of." In hindsight, I should have used a non-religious analogy.

EDIT: But yeah I don't mind leaving it closed. It never produces much intelligent debate anyway.

Ballz,

Oh, sorry.  I must've misinterpreted you.

But, the Phelps' ARE Christianity walts.  I wonder if we could create some sort of Waltenkommando, along the lines of the Arrse folks who out the British Army walts, to expose these creeps.

Oh wait, I remember reading how they've crossed swords with the "Anonymous" group (the same one's who picket Scientology).  I think this may be already in progress...  (I hope!)

As re-tweeted by The Daily Show on Twitter (@TheDailyShow): "Westboro just picks whatever's trending & jumps in the spotlight. Would protest Rebecca Black except everyone would actually support them."  >:D

That said, I f***ing hate this "church." I just take a level of comfort in knowing that they'll either change their ways (preferable) or suffer consequences that they believe are reserved for those they protest (acceptable). They're like internet trolls of Christianity, except without the internet part.

Seriously, I see a resemblance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMEe7JqBgvg  >:D

Only a matter of time before someone gets serious about putting them out of our misery. Hopefully if it does come to fruition, their assets are siezed by the gov't and donated to charities dedicated to helping families of US soldiers KIA in Afghanistan and Iraq.

JMesh said:
That said, I f***ing hate this "church." :D

I don't normally give too much advice...but you should, IMO, not use that word "hate". "Hate" has caused a number of atrocities in the past.
Just my  :2c:

Jim Seggie said:
I don't normally give too much advice...but you should, IMO, not use that word "hate". "Hate" has caused a number of atrocities in the past.
Just my  :2c:

True that; now, with Moe & I taking up his lap ... where the heck will you be sitting?

ArmyVern said:
True that; now, with Moe & I taking up his lap ... where the heck will you be sitting?

There's a few laps I'd love to sit on.....one in particular..... >:D

Michael O'Leary said:
And the best form of counter-protest would be the regular appearance of large numbers of polite people holding signs saying "God hates the WBC." The trick is not offering them the confrontational tactics they seek to attract.

So you're saying people shouldn't show up with electrical water cannon like described here? http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/100092/post-1030543.html#msg1030543

MM

Back