• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Well done to an unknown soldier

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Well done to an unknown soldier

The other day as I was walking to work, a small black sports car pulled in to the curb beside me.  The window on the passenger side went down and the driver, a clean-cut young man, called me over.  Expecting to be asked for directions I stepped towards the car and bent over to look in the window.

The young man leaned towards me and offered me his hand.  I shook it as he said he wanted to thank the first soldier he saw this week.  And then he went on to explain.  I expected him to relate something about the global “we” defending the free world, but his intent was much more personal than that.

His girlfriend, whom he described as “blonde, beautiful and petite” has apparently been crossing the country westward by bus this summer.  While on a bus crossing the prairies (he wasn’t more specific) she was accosted by an undesirable entity whose advances quickly turned into harassment.  Also on that bus was a soldier.  That soldier stepped up and did the right thing. He blocked the harassment and convinced the driver to drop the miscreant off at the next stop.  The young man wanted to thank me, as the available representative of the military, for that soldier’s actions. 

I don’t know who that soldier was, or why he was on the bus.  Service corps or combat arms, Reserve or Regular Force, traveling on leave or for duty …. we may never know.  But I would like to forward that young man’s gratitude, and add to it my own, for seeing the right thing done.  Unknown and obviously not looking for recognition or reward, that soldier is an excellent example of our young men and women in uniform today, each of whom have stepped forward to do what they can to protect those unable to defend themselves.

Thank you soldier, you make us all proud.

The NDP would rather that soldier not interfere as he may only make matters worse, and the Liberals would want him to stop interfering and let someone else deal with the problem while they strike a committee to examine the issue of harassment.

I'm not bitter  ;D

Michael,

What a nice story about people looking out for each other, in regards to the young man's girlfriend and how the Soldier stood up for her. I feel proud myself, to have had the chance to read about it. And nice how you sent your regards back to him also.

Thank you for sharing,

~Rebecca

Stories like these are the little things that make it better to wake up and tie the boots up in the morning.
:salute:

I'd like to shake this guys hand myself. 

Mud Recce Man said:
Stories like these are the little things that make it better to wake up and tie the boots up in the morning.
:salute:

I'd like to shake this guys hand myself. 

excellent morale boost.

Mud Recce,
I would like to shake the hands of the individuals involved in the training of said soldier.

3rd Herd said:
excellent morale boost.

Mud Recce,
I would like to shake the hands of the individuals involved in the training of said soldier.

And his parents

Mud Recce Man said:

and what makes me yearn to put a pair on again...to be amongst this kind of people is a great boost in the deisre to join.

Spidron said:
The NDP would rather that soldier not interfere as he may only make matters worse, and the Liberals would want him to stop interfering and let someone else deal with the problem while they strike a committee to examine the issue of harassment.

I'm not bitter  ;D
Spidron,
Why do you have to drag politics into this thread?
A good positive story about the soldiers in the CF.
Nothing else has to be said

Well done!

CHIMO!

3rd Herd said:
excellent morale boost.

Mud Recce,

+1

Great story, MO - thanks for sharing, and well done to whoever it might have been, and everyone who helped him become the man he is.

A very good story.
Good job soldier.  :salute:

geo said:
Spidron,
Why do you have to drag politics into this thread?
A good positive story about the soldiers in the CF.
Nothing else has to be said

I agree. This story shows that no matter the circumstances, our soldiers are willing to step up to the challenge.
Military or not, this soldier did the right thing.
So lets forget about politics, and just acknowledge what this soldier did. (save this woman from a possible severe sexual harassment, and maybe even worse)

Jimmy

Very impressive, great story. Just another example of the calibre of our men and women in uniform, whether on duty or off. Well done.

Superb story and thank YOU for sharing with us. We all know the pride and feelings we have as soldiers but stories like that are very nice to hear about.

Back