• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniforms Post-Release/Retirement (merged)

Quick question about Tamoshanters and wearing them for Nov 11. I was in the CF Reserves (Calgary Highlanders) 24 years ago. And only have my Tamoshanter left from those days. Is it okay to wear it for Remembrance Day? And then the other question is. You cant put the Cap badge on a Beret, It would look odd. I am lost when it comes to this stuff. But really want to show my pride for those days. Thanks for the advice in advance.

A late reply but... It would be totally appropriate for a former serving member of the Regiment to wear their old headdress for Remembrance day, although the glengarry would be preferable to the TOS/ balmoral. In fact the unofficial order of dress for former members is; glengarry, blue blazer with regimental crest on the breast, regimental tie and grey slacks. Former members are often referred to as "old guard" and are invited to march with the regiment during the final portion of our annual freedom of the city parade every April. If you are not a member of our regimental association I would encourage you to join so you get a heads up on events.

What is not appropriate; is wearing your old uniform complete. Just last week the DCO (while going about his business in civilian attire downtown) encountered a gentleman, who subsequently claimed former service, wearing a TOS with our cap-badge and a more or less full set of OD combats + black jungle boots. This encounter was rather unfortunate for the individual... a very amusing photo was taken on someone's phone.  ;D

I wouldn't mind seeing some identifier that retired members could wear (at no cost to the crown) on whatever form of dress/mess uniform they used at the time of retirement, to indicate the wearer is retired.  The British have a "R" Badge for retired officers.  We could adopt something similar, worn on the sleeve immediately under the "Canada" patch on both sides (if you are retired, no div, brigade, or command badge for you) of the DEU, or even on the member's mess kit - with written permission - revocable if worn incorrectly (ie - at a protest or?).  Personally, I think it is great to see the pre-unification uniforms of the old-timers worn for Nov 11th and it would be neat to keep the tradition alive.  Plus, if you buy mess kit, you can continue wearing it and get your money's worth. 

shootemup604 said:
Plus, if you buy mess kit, you can continue wearing it and get your money's worth.

See also,

Mess Uniform use by Retired Members 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/108682.0

shootemup604 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some identifier that retired members could wear (at no cost to the crown) on whatever form of dress/mess uniform they used at the time of retirement, to indicate the wearer is retired. 

So Balding and Grey thinning hair don't clue you in; nor the stance and paunch?  Hmmmm?  Guess you aren't Recce.

George Wallace said:
So Balding and Grey thinning hair don't clue you in; nor the stance and paunch?  Hmmmm?  Guess you aren't Recce.

That describes many staff officers from NDHQ who are still "serving"....

shootemup604 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some identifier that retired members could wear (at no cost to the crown) on whatever form of dress/mess uniform they used at the time of retirement, to indicate the wearer is retired.

Not in favour.

shootemup604 said:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/100399.0  ?

shootemup604 said:
The British have a "R" Badge for retired officers. 

I believe that "R" means "Reserve" and it's been discontinued, at least it has in the RNR.

Once you're out there is no need to don a uniform ever again. You're no longer a member of the CAF.

One of the generals I know has hung up the mess kit and purchased a tuxedo.

Hamish Seggie said:
Once you're out there is no need to don a uniform ever again. You're no longer a member of the CAF.

Same applies in emergency services. It's a public safety / liability issue.

What gets me is that e-bay allows the badges to be sold to "collectors".

I am sure there are legitimate "buffs" out there, but...

mariomike said:
Same applies in emergency services. It's a public safety / liability issue.

I am sure there are legitimate "buffs" out there, but...

Although there are certainly some horror stories out there about medal collecting, one of the counter-arguments is that collectors actually do a much better job of preserving these pieces of heritage than families do.  The best collectors go so far as to track down each actual medal that was awarded to an individual (groups are often broken up when sold or otherwise disposed of) and reassemble the group, so that they're not just medals, but actual pieces of someone's story.  Collectors often display their collections for others to see.  It needs to be pointed out that the reason the Imperial War Museum has such an outstanding collection of Victoria and George Crosses is because a private collector (Lord Ashcroft) has agreed to display his collection there.  Many of these medals would have been lost had he not tracked them down and assembled the collection.

Pusser said:
Although there are certainly some horror stories out there about medal collecting,

I didn't mean buffs / hobbyists who like to collect medals, coins and stamps etc.

Or, those who like to wear medals ( right or left side ) and vintage military uniforms for "cosplay", or whatever re-enactors call it.

mariomike said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBSOLETE-1900S-BADGE-MUNICIPAL-POLICE-NEW-YORK-Detective-/172327744989?hash=item281f88b5dd:g:YuAAAOSwMgdXyYAw
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FDNY-Officer-Uniform-Overcoat-Raincoat-Full-Fireman-Ems-Suit-Ny-/252573275532?hash=item3ace8a558c:g:nh4AAOSwTA9X9v9F

That includes the cloth shoulder patches sold on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Obsolete-New-York-State-Ontario-County-City-Of-New-York-Police-Shoulder-Patch-/132015261701?hash=item1ebcb90805

This might also apply to CAF MP badges.

Hi.
Served some time in reserves as logistics and I would like to wear my beret at ceremonies, is that allowed ?
Also another question for my friend. He also served as infantry and he would like to wear head dress. Which one would he wear if allowed as a veteran.
Thanks

For reference to the discussion,

Remembrance Day Headdress 
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/121057.0

Back