• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniforms Post-Release/Retirement (merged)

dapaterson said:
On the subject of lack of clarity, methinks the Admiral needs to re-read the NDA to understand what "Active Service" is; here's a hint: the Primary Reserve, generally, is not on active service.  Thus the uniform does not distinguish those on active service.  One would hope that the senior leadership of the military is acquainted with the foundational legislative basis of the organization...

Don't let facts undermine staff work.

dapaterson said:
However, since he wants to avoid confusion, here's a simple solution: Serving sailors are wearing the War of 1812 pin.  So as long as a sailor isn't wearing it, that sailor isn't in the current uniform, so problem solved!  And as an added bonus, it actually makes the War of 1812 pin useful!

You, sir, are a genius.  Consider yourself invited to join the Army.CA Clothing and Dress Committee.

[quote author=Haggis]You, sir, are a genius.  Consider yourself invited to join the Army.CA Clothing and Dress Committee.
[/quote]

AKA the Pips, Crowns and Curls committee.  ;D

kratz said:
AKA the Pips, Crowns and Curls committee.  ;D

Sure!  We can put that on the agenda for a future meeting.  But first we have to decide what honours and awards we will wear.

Jeremy,

I found a post that may help answer your question.

Article 419 of the Criminal Code
Unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,
(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,
(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,
(c) has in his possession a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card from the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force that has not been issued to and does not belong to him, or
(d) has in his possession a commission or warrant or a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card, issued to an officer or a person in or who has been in the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force, that contains any alteration that is not verified by the initials of the officer who issued it, or by the initials of an officer thereto lawfully authorized,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
R.S., c. C-34, s. 377.

Would just like to rescind and apologize for my previous statement.

Really not sure where to post this.  But I retired from the military a a couple of years ago (med rel).  I served a total of 17 years.  15 years being with the army and the last 2 being with the airforce.  When I left, I was really pissed (to put it lightly) with the system.  I tossed my uniform and my UN baret.  What I'm wondering  now that a couple of years have passed and I'm a little less pissed with the way things ended, is how do I go about acquiring a uniform (to wear at Remembrance Day ceremonies and such).  But most of all, I want my kids to see me in my uniform and know that I actually did something the benefit society before I became a stay at home mom (BTW, I feel that I am very fortunate and my family is as well that I am able to do this).  Also, when I did retire I was Air Force - I want to wear an Army uniform, as this is what I spent most of my career wearing.  Any suggestions?

My understanding is that as a retired member you are no longer authorized to wear a uniform. For Remembrance Day, Beret - yes. Medals - yes. But uniforms are for serving members or honoraries.

As for retiring Air Force, despite serving most of your career with the Army, you are a retired RCAF member. You cannot wear the CA uniform.

It is possible to wear a uniform after retirement...but it's not an easy process.  You will have to write a letter to the Comd RCAF or Comd CA.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/faq/index-eng.asp?cat=dress&FaqID=124#ans-rep

Question

Can I wear my uniform after retiring/releasing from the Canadian Forces?
Answer
Current regulations regarding the wear of uniforms by retired personnel emanate from Queen’s Regulations and Orders (QR&O), in particular QR&O 17.06 which states: A former member of the Regular Force or Reserve Force, who was released for a reason other than misconduct, may wear a uniform:

(a) with the permission of an officer commanding a command or his designated authority and such other officers as may be designated by the Chief of Defence Staff, when attending a military entertainment or ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate; and

(b) on other occasions with the permission of the Chief of the Defence Staff.

These instructions are expanded upon in the 'Canadian Forces Dress Instructions Manual(AAD-265-000-AG-001)', which states: Commanders of commands may grant limited, revocable authority for former members and civilians to wear CF uniforms and clothing items in public displays and performances, and special events, if they are satisfied that no harm to the CF reputation will result. In particular: by custom, veterans and other ex-service members may wear undress caps (e.g., berets, wedge caps), with badges, on remembrance and memorial occasions, subject to agreement of the branch/regiment concerned.

Furthermore, all depending how long ago you have retired, you should have received a copy of the handbook entitled "Moving On" and paragraph 14.2 states all of the above.

The more common (and recommended) practice is for former CF personnel to wear proudly their medals, with appropriate civilian attire in accordance with the Governor General aide memoire entitled Wearing of orders, decorations and medals with undress cap (if appropriate).

Which is why most retired members just chose to wear a blazer with medals and a beret if wanted.

And since you don't have your uniform getting one becomes problematic as well.  You can't be issued with one anymore and it would be very hit and miss getting what you need at a war surplus store.

The exception being if you transfer to the Supp Res on release, in which case you're permitted to wear the uniform "when on service or attending military entertainment or a ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate".  See DAOD 5002-4.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5002-4.page

Quick question about Tamoshanters and wearing them for Nov 11. I was in the CF Reserves (Calgary Highlanders) 24 years ago. And only have my Tamoshanter left from those days. Is it okay to wear it for Remembrance Day? And then the other question is. You cant put the Cap badge on a Beret, It would look odd. I am lost when it comes to this stuff. But really want to show my pride for those days. Thanks for the advice in advance.

The regiment does not think its capbadge belongs on a beret:
http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/traditions/regimentaldress/capbadges.htm

MCG said:

They also think (wrongly, of course) that Warrant Officers are Snr NCOs.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine that irks me when I see it.  I find it mostly to be acceptable amongst subordinate officer ranks.  You know;  OCdts, 2Lts, Lts and Capts.  ;)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/honours-history-badges-insignia/rank.page

Warrant Officers, Petty Officers and Senior Non-Commissioned Officers

MCG said:

But they do think that their organic combat service support personnel should be wearing regimental hats with CSS cap badges, which bodes well for the future -- that gives many potential combinations of hat and badge.

How many cap badges are in a regular infantry battalion? I'm tracking, in addition to the badge of the infantry regiment, that a battalion in garrison includes RCEME, Log, Int, and Sigs, but there may be one or two more that I'm missing. I don't think that the battalions have any MPs and Medics anymore.

I am all in favour of our reserve infantry battalions having identical establishments of CSS as regular battalions, in order to maximize the hat combinations. Jimmy on a Caubeen! Int Star of Balmoral! Glengarry mechanics!

Okay, so its the TAM and the Glengarry with the Regimental Cap badge. And a Beret with the Standard CF Cap badge. Thanks :)

Even if I wanted to wear my old uniform, my old uniform does not wish to wear all of me anymore. I swear there is something about closets that causes fabric to shrink!

They must be what inhabit the inside of my underwear.  That explains everything...  :nod:

Back