• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

Just a Sig Op said:
Or perhaps they're having their education subsidized by the forces... don't know if officer candidates attending civillian universities are required to wear uniforms to classes...

No they're not. In my last year of college (which was subsidized by the mob), the only time I wore a uniform between the end of BOTC 1 in Aug 99 until the start of BOTC II in May 2000 was Remembrance Day. I also took a few courses at Queen's while I was waiting to start basic flight training and I never once wore a uniform to class.

Just a Sig Op said:
Or perhaps they're having their education subsidized by the forces... don't know if officer candidates attending civilian universities are required to wear uniforms to classes...

There are two UTPNCM candidates that live in my Condo here in Halifax and attend local Universities.

They aren't required to wear their uniform at University

Danjanou said:
Pbi That wouldn't have been a certain watering hole at King and Dufferin now would it?

The places we hung out at included the Palace (long gone-thank God-the Health Board probably burnt it down...), the New Windsor House on Queen St east of Yonge and the Lancaster south of King (both now gone, IIRC), the Nag's Head at the Eaton's Centre (used to run into the 48th and Rifles there); and of course in the summer there were the pubs of Ontario Place down on the lakefront, a short stroll from the Armoury. We used to get quite out of control in some of these places: I don't think I would find it so funny now.....

Should go back to the old days where you were required to wear your DEUs to and from work and had to have a chit to wear PT strip if you wanted to jog to and from work.

What "old days" were these? Around the time of the ballista? I have been in the Regular Army since 1982 and I have never, ever encountered either one of these rules, anywhere. What time period are we speaking of here?

Cheers.

Ahhhh The old days. When i went to boot camp we were told to pack up all our civvies including underwear & tooth brush and send it home to mummy. We were told ,If the service wants you to have anything it will issue you with it. That was the last i saw of civilian dress for at least 2 years. We wore uniforms 24/7 even PT required a uniform dress. When leaving base a dress uniform was required and before going out the gate a formal inspection was done to ensure a proper standard was maintained as 20% or so were usually refused permission to proceed. If you wanted to wear civilian clothes you had to join a locker club off base that supplied changing rooms , lounges ,washrooms and lockers for you to store civilian clothes. People in uniform were everywhere, bars, nightclubs, dancehalls, theatres, hockey rinks & public parks, along with MP'S keeping an eye on things. Ive hitchiked half way across Canada a couple of times in uniform & never had to wait longer than 30 minutes for a ride. People on leave even wore their uniforms with pride around their hometowns.  It took a long time of gradual change for things to come 180 degrees. I'm not so sure all the changes are for the better but then again.

pbi said:
The places we hung out at included the Palace (long gone-thank God-the Health Board probably burnt it down...), the New Windsor House on Queen St east of Yonge and the Lancaster south of King (both now gone, IIRC), the Nag's Head at the Eaton's Centre (used to run into the 48th and Rifles there); and of course in the summer there were the pubs of Ontario Place down on the lakefront, a short stroll from the Armoury. We used to get quite out of control in some of these places: I don't think I would find it so funny now.....

What "old days" were these? Around the time of the ballista? I have been in the Regular Army since 1982 and I have never, ever encountered either one of these rules, anywhere. What time period are we speaking of here?

Cheers.

1979-81 Esquimalt

Up to 3 or 4 years ago, Navy personnel in Halifax had to wear their uniforms to/from work. Only if you had a PT chit were you permitted to wear PT to/from work.

This ceased a couple of years ago and the only time since that we have had to wear our uniforms has been during the days following 9/11 and during the union strike.

Navalsnipr said:
This ceased a couple of years ago and the only time since that we have had to wear our uniforms has been during the days following 9/11 and during the union strike.

Yeah, that's the only time I ever wore my uniform while not being paid was to get into the dockyard while the strike was on. I had to pick up some kit from the clothing store and when I made my appointment they suggested I wear my uniform as the strikers weren't letting people in civvies in or something like that. Needless to say, I had no trouble getting in.

It sounds to me like we are confusing Army and Navy on this dress question. I recall that when I served in 3 PPCLI at Work Point Barracks in Esquimalt, (1983-86) we were able to wear combat off base, no problem at all. The RSM of our battalion received several irate phone calls from the Coxswain at the naval base, complaining about this, since the Navy required a much stricter code. The Coxswain was politely reminded that we did not follow Navy dress regulations, and the issue faded away as far as I know.

On the other hand, as Army subalterns visiting the Navy base for admin, we were surprised to find that Navy types did not salute 2Lts. Apparently the Navy at that time did not consider them to be worthy of a salute, for some reason. Perhaps because in the Navy a 2Lt is not yet permitted command of anything? I don't know: I'm sure some of our Naval friends can fill me in.

Cheers

I am taking the military co-op and am wondering....can I only wear my combat pants and T-shirt for periods 1 and 2 and then just put on the shirt, boots etc. after? I would like to do this because for one I do not have any time to change and also I do not want stupid people at school putting chalk or something on it. Otherwise I guess I will have to just wear my whole uniform.

pbi said:
On the other hand, as Army subalterns visiting the Navy base for admin, we were surprised to find that Navy types did not salute 2Lts. Apparently the Navy at that time did not consider them to be worthy of a salute, for some reason. Perhaps because in the Navy a 2Lt is not yet permitted command of anything? I don't know: I'm sure some of our Naval friends can fill me in.

Never have seen that ever happen. I'd hope that everyone in the CF understands what a commission is all about. If I were a 2Lt (A/SLT) and wasn't saluted, I'd be jacking the person up.

Mind you in Gagetown back in the early 90's, most RegF personnel wouldn't salute CIC officers..... They hold the same commission that a Reserve or RegF Officer holds.

Got a question about dress.

I'm currently doing weekend BMQ and I want to train up before my 13km ruck march.
I plan on filling up my rucksack and taking it on a march in my own time around my neighbourhood at night.

Am I allowed to wearing my boots (and carry my rucksack) in my civvies? Or is CF THAT strict about dress not on duty?

Pyromechanica said:

I'm currently doing weekend BMQ and I want to train up before my 13km ruck march.
I plan on filling up my rucksack and taking it on a march in my own time around my neighbourhood at night.

Am I allowed to wearing my boots (and carry my rucksack) in my civvies? Or is CF THAT strict about dress not on duty?
I don't see anything wrong with your plan.  I've known many a soldier who trained in that or a similar way.  At one point when I was younger and my knees better able to take it, I'd do some of my regular jogging in civvy PT gear & combat boots.

Haha, I was doing exactly that (hiking with civvie shorts/t-shirt, combat boots and rucksack) while preparing for BMQ and some guy pulled over on the side of the road and gave me crap, asked for my name/rank/svc # and unit, and said he was going to report me :p  Never heard anything more about it though.

Pyromechanica said:

On my BMQ training my course was instructed that we are not permitted to mix CF clothing with civi clothes. I am not sure if there are consequences though :warstory: to mixing CF clothes with civi's. If anyone knows could you respond.
Thanks

In Ottawa, you see uniforms everywhere.  People will go out for lunch, or stop by a restaraunt or pub after work in uniform.  Some transitway stops are right beside shopping plazas, so it's very common to see people in uniform stopping by stores to pick up things before or after work.
It's not a big deal, unless you wear a uniform at an obviously inappropriate time and/or behave in a way that does not reflect well on the CF.  If you're going out for the night, change first.  Don't wear the uniform to a nightclub in hopes of picking up chicks.
If you're stopping by a pub on the way home for a beer, just behave yourself and it's not a big deal.
That's my cut on it, anyway.

Ralph, in response to the mixing civi's with kit yes you can infact be charged for it.  Although a lot of the time a verbal warning will come first as for some reason people tend to think that it isn't a problem......if so only make the mistake once.

Ahhhh The old days. When i went to boot camp we were told to pack up all our civvies including underwear & tooth brush and send it home to mummy. We were told ,If the service wants you to have anything it will issue you with it. That was the last i saw of civilian dress for at least 2 years. We wore uniforms 24/7 even PT required a uniform dress. When leaving base a dress uniform was required and before going out the gate a formal inspection was done to ensure a proper standard was maintained as 20% or so were usually refused permission to proceed. If you wanted to wear civilian clothes you had to join a locker club off base that supplied changing rooms , lounges ,washrooms and lockers for you to store civilian clothes. People in uniform were everywhere, bars, nightclubs, dancehalls, theatres, hockey rinks & public parks, along with MP'S keeping an eye on things. Ive hitchiked half way across Canada a couple of times in uniform & never had to wait longer than 30 minutes for a ride. People on leave even wore their uniforms with pride around their hometowns.  It took a long time of gradual change for things to come 180 degrees. I'm not so sure all the changes are for the better but then again.

I like the way that sounds. If I get into the armed forces I know that I'm gonna wear my uniform with pride. As long as members act professionally and courteously in uniform, then why not.

About two months ago I saw a young guy(probably early 20's) on the GO train wearing his CADPAT. Tried to see what was on his berret, but didnt want to look like I was staring at him. Also a reserve Sgt came to my school yesterday to talk about RMC and the military and he was wearing just a green vest(looked like a pullover, light blue dress shirt under) and like dark green dress pants(are these BDU's?)

Back