• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

it was my understanding that regular force members were allowed unresticted wear in public places

I'd be changing first to go to any civvy pub, but with an exception of a Mess after hrs. Other than that one could be asking for trouble with all the anti-war sentiment these days.

In my last posting, the unit was near a rather large islamic population, so even if we dipped 'outside the wire' for lunch we changed into PT gear. Post 9-11 also means mininum of 2 pers in mil veh's in public places too, although this has been relaxed lately and prior to my leaving Sydney.

Reg or PRes why someone would want to be in that uniform outside of wrking hours is beyond me.

My 2 cents.

Wes  

lol that is true, however they are allowed to wear the uniform any time any place?

armygf said:
lol that is true, however they are allowed to wear the uniform any time any place?

No. You must be authorized to wear it on leave, can't say with any certainty about the rest of the time, but who would want to wear a uniform to a bar after working in it all day? Other than the mess for TGIF or TGIT depending on what colour your hat is, I've never seen it nor do I know many people that would do it. People stop at places on their way home from work, but that's about the extent of it.

My experience recently is that the Army is OK with you following the "one stop" rule (making a necessary stop on the way to/from work) or going out to a restaurant while on duty. I do it all the time in CADPAT while travelling around our Brigade area. When we are traveling as a Bde staff team to, say, Regina or Thunder Bay we usually take breakfast and lunch in duty dress, then change into civvies in the evening so we can relax and hoist a few after supper. Going to a civilian premise on military business (say-visiting the police dept to set up joint training, giving a presentation at a school, briefing the Chamber of Commerce, visiting some other Govt Dept, etc) is also generally accepted, although whether you wore CADPAT or DEU would depend on what you were doing. Lots of people also wear duty dress to travel on transit or commercial air. As far as I know, all of these things are common practice in the Army and I have never heard of anybody getting into trouble over them. In Winnipeg the reaction I get from wearing a uniform is either neutral or very positive. I have never gotten a hassle in the 'Peg.

What pisses me to no end is uniformed sacks of shyte who stumble about in public looking like a garbage bag tied in the middle, unkempt, sloppy and with zero military bearing, "life support" inflatable beret, trousers unbloused, etc, etc. These people should be brought to a swift and horrifying end IMHO.

What I would not recommend is the practice of "pubbing" in uniform, which was a big sport when I was a Res soldier in Toronto, esp in the summer we would leave the Armoury ASAP after parade night and hit the local spots as a "pack", usually joined soon after by folks from other units. It was lots of fun at the time, but looking back on it I'm not sure we created a very good impression.

Cheers

pbi said:
What I would not recommend is the practice of "pubbing" in uniform, which was a big sport when I was a Res soldier in Toronto, esp in the summer we would leave the Armoury ASAP after parade night and hit the local spots as a "pack", usually joined soon after by folks from other units. It was lots of fun at the time, but looking back on it I'm not sure we created a very good impression.

Still common.

...and from watching how some of by mates would act when full of fuel, I tend to think you're right.   At times I wore civvies, but the damn haircut would identify me with the two guys on the dance floor who were the ONLY people dancing in the entire establishment.... ^-^

the two guys on the dance floor who were the ONLY people dancing in the entire establishment

Ahhh, I see. And what type of club was that, again?  >:D

Cheers.

Now you see why I agree with the "poor impression" part of your statement.  :blotto:

R
Infanteer said:
Now you see why I agree with the "poor impression" part of your statement. :blotto:

Right, then.  Stop that. Disgraceful. Marching smartly off to another thread!

Cheers

No. You must be authorized to wear it on leave, can't say with any certainty about the rest of the time, but who would want to wear a uniform to a bar after working in it all day?

Me.

Anyways how bad could the punishment be even if you get caught?

Ghost said:
Me.

Anyways how bad could the punishment be even if you get caught?

200 dollar fine would be a very real possibility, I've seen that done in our unit for improperly wearing a uniform - and that's a reserve unit to boot. 

Yeah, but avoiding a charge parade because you can't obey a simple order is a matter of professionalism and pride.

Don't be surprised if your Chain-of-Command starts to percieve you differently because they are having to deal with you.

GHOST,  Is your desire to wear a uniform in public for the purpose of drawing attenetion to the armed forces or drawing attention to yourself?

Now, I'm just asking out of curiousity at this point, because I don't get the point of wearing the uniform to public, as it gets sometimes unwanted attention, but what is going to get you the fine here? Wearing CADPAT to a bar, or not abiding by dress regulations? If that is part of dress regulations, then someone put me in my place...

Baloo said:
Now, I'm just asking out of curiousity at this point, because I don't get the point of wearing the uniform to public, as it gets sometimes unwanted attention, but what is going to get you the fine here? Wearing CADPAT to a bar, or not abiding by dress regulations? If that is part of dress regulations, then someone put me in my place...

One of the troops in our brigade a few years ago was fined for going to a bar and singing Karaoke while in combats.

Another was fined for wearing DEUs to an event on the armoury floor, and disrobing in public while on stage (conducted a wee bit o' a sporran parade).

Stupid stuff, really. 

Back