• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Of Foreign Wings On CF's

I've heard it from the rumor mill before that if you were basic parachute qualified from the States, you can apply to do a few (3?) jumps with a Canadian unit and you're good to go on your Canadian Jump wings. True?

If that's true, isnt there some way to do a round about way? ie. Dutch Para, US Para then hitch up with the QYRang when they do their jumps and voila! Canaidan Jump Wings! Maybe I'm OVER simplifying...but would that possibly work?

Journeyman said:
Danjanou, I don't know if those pics are from your personal collection, but you're starting to scare me   ;)

Just starting to?  I have to try harder >:D

MedTech said:
I've heard it from the rumor mill before that if you were basic parachute qualified from the States, you can apply to do a few (3?) jumps with a Canadian unit and you're good to go on your Canadian Jump wings. True?

If that's true, isnt there some way to do a round about way? ie. Dutch Para, US Para then hitch up with the QYRang when they do their jumps and voila! Canaidan Jump Wings! Maybe I'm OVER simplifying...but would that possibly work?

The only ways that I know of for a CF member to earn Canadian jump wings are:

a. take basic para;
b. remuster to SAR tech;
c. join the Skyhawks.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
Why do you say that?
It goes without saying that with the raising of the CSOR and the expansion of JTF2,  positions on current basic para courses will be filled up by them prior to opening any serials that will be offered to individuals who do not have an immediate need to qualify.  Also our Herc fleet is seeing extensive use going in & out of Afhanistan... the fleet is clocking up an awful lot of hours delivering the goods - hard to believe they will be offering para courses to any but those who really need the qualification "right this very instant"

I agree with your line of thought, but:
-everyone in CSOR who needs to be para qualifed probably is by now and,
-Is not the school using CASA aircraft as thier platform for all para courses now?

MedTech said:
and they currently accept ppl with Civi jump quals dont they?

Yes, but, according to their web site: (http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/English/3_3_1_1_6.asp)

"Augmentation to the team is required annually and is open to all CF members who meet the following minimum criteria:

-Qualified Basic Parachutist (NCO - AHMD, Officer - AEIM);
-Qualified QL4 or Second Lieutenant in any trade or classification;
-Qualified Military Freefall Parachutist or hold an "A" certificate issued by the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association with a minimum of 50 freefall jumps; and,
-Be recommended by their unit Commanding Officer.

Members who apply must be prepared to pass the Para physical fitness test upon their arrival at the Canadian Parachute Centre
."

Haggis said:
The only ways that I know of for a CF member to earn Canadian jump wings are:

a. take basic para;
b. remuster to SAR tech;
c. join the Skyhawks.

SAR Techs don't get the standard Canadian army jump wings...so "b" isn't going to help buddy's scheme to somehow get Canadian jump wings.

I'm kind of curious how doing the Dutch (skydive-lite) course will somehow get him loaded on a US serial, so that he can subsequently do famil jumps with the Canadians, and get the wing  ???

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
I agree with your line of thought, but:
-everyone in CSOR who needs to be para qualifed probably is by now and,
-Is not the school using CASA aircraft as thier platform for all para courses now?

CSOR is a unit that is still filling out.  Still lots of positions being filled.
CASA planes - wouldn't know......

geo said:
CASA planes - wouldn't know......

CPC has been chartering a CASA 212 for many (most?) of their recent serials. Interesting trivia is that it's not certified for para ops in Canada, so there's a Loggie Capt in the Directorate of Army Training that has to ask Transport Canada for a waiver each time it's used.

Journeyman said:
SAR Techs don't get the standard Canadian army jump wings...so "b" isn't going to help buddy's scheme to somehow get Canadian jump wings.

I'm kind of curious how doing the Dutch (skydive-lite) course will somehow get him loaded on a US serial, so that he can subsequently do famil jumps with the Canadians, and get the wing  ???

no no I was just theorizing, maybe the US military allows someone with an allied jump course to jump with them i.e. the Netherlands Brevet B, hence earning their wing, and ergo able to apply for a Canadian Jump Wing with some jumps.

Ya I know the SAR Techs dont get jump wings, :) the PARACHUTE is incorporated into their wing already isnt it?  :) I also talked to a SAR Tech and their chutes arent the airborne domed ones, and are the square chutes maybe that's why dont get it too?

MedTech said:
no no I was just theorizing, maybe the US military allows someone with an allied jump course to jump with them i.e. the Netherlands Brevet B, hence earning their wing, and ergo able to apply for a Canadian Jump Wing with some jumps.

Instead of trying to find an easy way to "acquire" CF jump wings (as opposed to "earning" them), why not just get fit, take Basic Para and wear 'em with well earened pride?

Ya I know the SAR Techs dont get jump wings, :) the PARACHUTE is incorporated into their wing already isnt it?  :) I also talked to a SAR Tech and their chutes arent the airborne domed ones, and are the square chutes maybe that's why dont get it too?

And I agree with George Wallace.

No. I don't want the easy way. If I could get on a Para course I would jump at the opportunity.

Ya I probably am losing it GW & Haggis...*sigh* oh well time to hit the books again.

Oh my...lol no pun intended...although it was quite funny eh?

wait...did you mean funny? or punny? as in *in Arnold's voice* YOU PUNNY MAN!

During my posting in West Germany 1984-88 I completed a French Commando Training Course in Kiel, I also completed French Army Basic Para Course which was run after the Commando training. I am not qualified CDN Para. I was authorised to wear both French Wings and French Commando Badge #7 on the CF's while serving overseas. Once I returned to Canada I was to bring down the foreign badge and wings due to CF Policy. I have been serving in the CF 26 years now and follow the same policy. I see it this way If you are qualified whether the badges or wings are seen or not. You know you are qualified and been there. I got the logs to prove it. Thats' life ;)

(they also make dandy wall decorations when mounted in a frame)

Journeyman said:
CPC has been chartering a CASA 212 for many (most?) of their recent serials. Interesting trivia is that it's not certified for para ops in Canada, so there's a Loggie Capt in the Directorate of Army Training that has to ask Transport Canada for a waiver each time it's used.

Not to totally hijack this thread, but is this waiver required only because it's a chartered civvy aircraft?  I'd thought that DND was generally allowed to do things it's own way WRT to aviation.  By this I mean we're not regulated by Transport Canada per se, although the two departments work hand in hand in areas where concerns overlap.

Back