• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapons cache prompts probe; Military members under investigation

mover1

Inactive
Reaction score
Weapons cache prompts probe; Military members under investigation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two members of the Canadian military are under investigation after police seized a cache of firearms and other restricted weapons along with military equipment and ordnance from a Chalk River home Wednesday.

Provincial police said nine firearms, including handguns and semi-automatic assault rifles, along with thousands of rounds of ammunition and a variety of ammunition and military equipment, including blasting materials, were discovered when officers executed a search warrant on the residence.

The search was conducted after Canada Border Services Agency officers discovered two magazines for a prohibited firearm being shipped into Canada through the air cargo centre at the Ottawa airport on May 18.

After finding the items, border agents consulted with the provincial weapons enforcement unit and decided to make a "controlled delivery" of the package, said CBSA spokesman Chris Kealey.

Mr. Kealey said immediately after the package was delivered, police executed the search warrant and found the weapons.

In addition to the firearms and ammunition, police seized brass knuckles, which are a prohibited weapon in Canada.

Mr. Kealey said police and border agents discovered magazines and other gun parts along with Canadian military-issue equipment.

The OPP said military police, who are participating in the investigation, removed several of the items from the residence.

Police said a woman was taken into custody at the scene, but was released without charges. Police said two men, both members of the Canadian military, are subject to further police investigation.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Department of Homeland Security also participated in the investigation.

aseymour@thecitizen.canwest.com

9 firearms is a cache?

I notice that they don't indicate if the firearms were registered or not, let guess that this story will quietly unravel as it is likely they firearms were legal and likely the so were the magazines or they just weren't pinned to the satisfaction of the border service.

Colin P said:
9 firearms is a cache?

I notice that they don't indicate if the firearms were registered or not, let guess that this story will quietly unravel as it is likely they firearms were legal and likely the so were the magazines or they just weren't pinned to the satisfaction of the border service.

Using the 9 weapons is a "cache" argument I'd hate to see what they call my weapons room in the basement! :eek:

Not intending to flame this up, but the CCC defintion of "peace officer" includes:

>>>
(d) an officer within the meaning of the Customs Act, the Excise Act or the Excise Act, 2001, or a person having the powers of such an officer, when performing any duty in the administration of any of those Acts.

I take that to be inclusive of a CBSA sworn officer acting under authority of the Canada Border Services Agency Act.

That being said, the vast majority of CBSA officers need to get their standards upgraded to that of a typical, competent LEO. Kudos for them moving forward with such a large initiative. I hope the Libs don't squelch the program when they return to power next year. 

Okay, my two donkey cents.
On the WR side:
The CBSA have, for several years now, been transforming from a tax collection operation to a law enforcement one.  It is an organization with many stand out individuals who are really making a difference in protecting our country.  The CBSA rarely make any headlines, unless several keys of coke are grabbed or there is something spectacular.  But for the everyday stuff, picking off weapons, turning back gang bangers and arseholes, intercepting people smugglers and countless other things, they are doing (in Windsor) a stand up job.  I routinely contact members for customs and immigration advice, and they are always very accommodating.  They have even gone so far as to give us an open invitation to call out their cool VACUS (not sure on the spelling) mobile truck and auto scanning machine.  (not accurate to call it x-ray, but that is what it does).  I have nothing bad to say about them, and welcome them as a valuable addition to the law enforcement community.  God knows we need all the help we can get. 

On the I-6 side:
I have heard a number of stories with regards to legit gun owners having a tough time at the border from time to time.  My own brother in law (Ex TRU team and runs his own firearms training business) has had some tough times with regards to over-cap magazines and them being shipped in an unlawful state.  Ultimately it got sorted out, but there was at least one Customs person that was acting like they picked off an international gun smuggler.  And he had a badge on him! 

With any large organization, there will always be zealots and there will be people who abuse their positions.  But the bottom line for me is that Canada needs as much protection as it can get, and the guys at the border are the front line for that. 

WR and I-6, I have a tonne of respect for both of you.  I think something has been lost in the translation of this internet medium, and if this was a live conversation over beers you guys would be having a great chat.  I hope it gets sorted out. 

Cheers,

ZHC 

Oh, and further to my last, there are a great many judges and justices that are total arsehats.  So if one of them screwed you around, that doesn't surprise me either.  One for the Judge super thread?  ;D

When a peace officer makes a mistake and your put in jail, do they have no responsibility or consequences? Just out of curiocity in general.

Edited by Vern to remove comment quoted at members request.

AverageJoe said:
When a peace officer makes a mistake and your put in jail, do they have no responsibility or consequences? Just out of curiocity in general.

It comes down to if you were acting in good faith or not.  Sometimes there is enough info to arrest a guy, or the situation requires an arrest at the time.  However, as a situation pans out, if it doesn't look like there would be any purpose served in pursuing the arrest then the person can get cut loose.  There is also investigative detention, which looks a lot like an arrest, but has different criteria. 
This has the makings of a big LEO arrest powers hijack, so maybe lets touch back to the original story? 

Maybe one of the mods can remove my comments in the spirit of peace.

Infidel-6 said:
Maybe one of the mods can remove my comments in the spirit of peace.

As it is written, so it shall be done.

Thanks Kev.

Vern

Edited to add: I have removed comments made by both parties...

2 Cdo said:
Using the 9 weapons is a "cache" argument I'd hate to see what they call my weapons room in the basement! :eek:

If you look at the definition, I think they were using the hidden/concealed  version vs. the safe storage one...

Merriam-Webster online:
cache
Pronunciation: 'kash
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from cacher to press, hide, from Vulgar Latin *coacticare to press together, from Latin coactare to compel, frequentative of cogere to compel -- more at COGENT
1 a : a hiding place especially for concealing and preserving provisions or implements b : a secure place of storage
2 : something hidden or stored in a cache
3 : a computer memory with very short access time used for storage of frequently or recently used instructions or data -- called also cache memory

Damn, this is going to set the Chalk River Militia back about an hour!!! Damn it!

Back