• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WAR OF 1812: UNIT RECOGNITION

Hi, 

Four points.

CANADA

DND says the Canadian Forces began in 1855 so the comments about Canada not existing until after 1867 are unimportant to the discussion because Canadian Forces already trace its lineage before Confederation.  University courses of pre and post-Confederation Canada underline that point. 

As for the War of 1812, when the Americans invaded in Windsor to start the war, they issued a Proclamation that was addressed to "The Inhabitants of Canada" and went on to refer to the "Territory of Canada".  So the Americans knew what country they were invading in 1812.  I hope everyone now knows Canadians in 1812 were defending....well.....Canada.

UNIT LISTS

If DND allows perpetuation and the awarding of Battle Honours for the War of 1812, then each unit would have to make its case.  For example the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment occupies the same region were the Michigan Fencibles and others that were embodied and then participated in the capture of that part of the United States.  IF the regiment feels entitled to link with those 1812 units then they would have to make their case.  The benefit is by doing so, they incorporate and take ownership of the Canada's War of 1812 military tradition of success on Lake Superior and the junction of the lakes.  But that is up to the Regiment.

Canada is unique militarily because our armies often mobilize and disband based on a threat.  Look at the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.  They started in the 1795 and disband in 1802.  In 1803 they restarted and existed until 1816 and were disbanded again.    Royal Newfoundland Regiment of the 20th Century feel in their hearts and souls they began in 1795 but according to DND they did not exist until the 20th century.  So they claim it unofficially.  When a unit is driven to have to unofficially claim their lineage before 1855, there is something broken in the system.  Hundreds of brave Newfoundlanders were killed, wounded or rotted in truly awful prison camps in the U.S. because they were defending Ontario from invasion. The  RNR is listed for "Detroit" on the background document of Honour our 1812 Heroes, a battle honour they did not receive.  Why didn't they get it?  Because they were disbanded before it was issued.  Do they deserve it?  IMO Absolutely.

However the lists are a distraction. The fundamental question is should the Canadian Forces honour Canadian soldiers that fought in 1812 by perpetuation and battle honours.  My answer is YES.

OTHER NATIONAL TRADITIONS

France's military recognizes the services and honours all its previous units, even the ones that fought under the royal banner.  They understand that the building blocks of national military tradition go beyond political dates of unification/revolution.  In 1990 East and West Germany became one.  Will the Germans officially recognize their military traditions only back to 1990?  See how ridiculious it sounds.    The date of 1855 is even more comical.   

EDITORIAL

I just wrote an Editorial on the subject that lays it all out and I encourage you to read it. 

It is at: http://www.warof1812.ca

This piece gets to the core of this issue along with poking fun at the 1855 date.  Considering the emails I am getting from across the country, if anyone thinks this is only an internal DND matter, think again.  Average Canadians are getting involved.  Other government departments are getting involved.  Museums, universities, and historians are getting involved.  These "fools" think Canada actually had Armed Forces fighting foreign invaders in 1812.  Go figure. 

I hope this helps the discussion.

Robert

Official lineages and the concept of perpetuation are poorly enough understood already. Trying to build a case that coincidences of localization should also be used as a sole basis for "perpetuation" only serves to further muddy the waters.

There is nothing wrong with any unit stepping up to recognize and honour the actions of units that were formed within their own communities, counties and provinces. But to do so does not require inventing pseudo-official connections of purported lineage that do not exist. We do not need to invent history to honour it.

Just because I grew up in your neighborhood doesn't make me an heir to your grandfather's fortune.

One of the problems here is Canada has "lost" battle honours.  Even after 1855 like Trout River and Eccles Hill.  In the UK they amalgamate in a way that battle honours are not lost.  We have not.  In 1816 battle honours were lost that were legitimately bestowed upon Canadian units.  To me an army losing its battle honours is worse than a regiment losing its colours on the battlefield.  The latter does not come without spilt blood while the former is the result of neglect and apathy.

Lets say in five years a new government comes to power and a lot of units like the RCR are disbanded.  Another government comes along and a new RCR is embodied.    Technically the new RCR has no claim on the old RCR's deeds.  Everyone would laugh and perpetuation would quickly be accepted.  How about if it takes, 10 years? 20 years?  How about if the new RCR has a slightly different name, it is made up of the same officers and men?

More to the point, I would like to call your attention to the Queen's York Rangers.  They unofficially claim they perpetuate the Queen's Rangers of the 1790s (Ontario's first military unit as Upper Canada).  They also stake claim to the War of 1812 because  disbanded Queen's Rangers (disbanded in 1802) fought to defend Canada, particularly York.  That is a territorial claim.

Interestingly enough what they do not realize is the LT COL of the Queen's Rangers helped form the Canadian Fencibles in 1803 (unit at Cryler's Farm, Chateauguay, Lacolle (1814)).  The unit even wore old 1802 Queen's Ranger uniforms that were in stores before their redcoats were made.  Today the Canadian Fencibles are ironically recreated just across the field from Fort York Armouries at Fort York. 

In the centre of the Queen's York Ranger Guidon is the old Queen Ranger badge used both in the American Revolution and the 1790s.  This looks like a complete violation of the rules of perpetuation.  So who is going to go to Toronto with scissors and cut it out?  Maybe it should happen at their special Battle of Brandywine Dinner commemorating the QRs brave service in the American Revolution?  This is all contrary to perpetuation regulations. 

This reminds me of the 1790s business of not allowing Catholics into the British Army.  Tens of thousands of catholic recruits had to lie during the oath of attestation.  The system had institutionalized purgeory.  Telling half your troops to lie doesn't exact establish a moral high ground for the army.  This was not lost on military scholars at the time and the Catholic rules was finally dumped.  See the similarities?  Regiments like the RNR and QYR feel their regimental tradition extends back before 1855 and they unoffically claim it, contrary the perpetuation regs. 

Sincerely.  There have been "muddy waters" before with the sorting out the WWI Battalions, and there were people then who argued strictly along the British battle honour blueprint.  Thankfully stronger hearts won out.  Canada's military traditions should mirror its military history.  Canada's military history is unique.  It is not a carbon copy of Great Britain, France, nor the United States.  A unique, transparent, and quantifiable solution needs to be developed drawing upon both the traditions of founding nations, AND our evolution as a country.  Canadians unique relationship with the land should be a point for discussion.

Right now rules are simply being made up without consultation. No commission. No imput. No accountability.  No transparency.  A handful of people in HQ play god and cherry pick history to justify their dogma.  If this issue is not buried (again) and a transparent process is embrace,  I hope everyone will feel free to express their opinions.  There is common ground to be found.   

That is why I support Honour our 1812 Heroes.  http://www.warof1812.ca/heroes/

RHenderson said:
Right now rules are simply being made up without consultation. No commission. No imput. No accountability.  No transparency.  A handful of people in HQ play god and cherry pick history to justify their dogma.  If this issue is not buried (again) and a transparent process is embrace,  I hope everyone will feel free to express their opinions.  There is common ground to be found.   

So, you want us to support your efforts to cherry pick history to fit your dogma?

(Not that you've made a coherent case for your accusations in the first place.)

Further to my last, could you explain why this is an unacceptable solution:

"There is nothing wrong with any unit stepping up to recognize and honour the actions of units that were formed within their own communities, counties and provinces. But to do so does not require inventing pseudo-official connections of purported lineage that do not exist."

Why, in your mind, does the official award of honours to existing units have to be part of this plan?

RHenderson said:
Lets say in five years a new government comes to power and a lot of units like the RCR are disbanded.  Another government comes along and a new RCR is embodied.    Technically the new RCR has no claim on the old RCR's deeds.  Everyone would laugh and perpetuation would quickly be accepted.  How about if it takes, 10 years? 20 years?  How about if the new RCR has a slightly different name, it is made up of the same officers and men?

This happens to flying squadrons and ships all of the time.

Loachman said:
This happens to flying squadrons and ships all of the time.

That would be based on long standing traditions of perpetuation though unit (i.e., ship) names as adopted from the RN.

For RHenderson:

For army units it's a different case. The perpetuation of honours within units of the Canadian Army is based on the concept of perpetuation created in the closing days of the First World War, before which there was no precedent.  One other small detail that would have to be addressed is this: 

Perpetuation is a unique Canadian system developed after the First World War to provide a formal means of preserving military operational honours and heritage for succeeding generations. It is government policy that disbanded units, which have gained an honour and/or distinction in the field, be perpetuated to preserve their memory. Disbanded units which have not gained an honour or distinction in the field shall not be perpetuated. Units perpetuated by disbanded units which are not eligible for perpetuation may, subject to the concurrence of the disbanded units' authorized or officially recognized association(s), be perpetuated by an extant unit.

Source: A-AD-200-000/AG-000, The Honours, Flags and Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces

We should note that perpetuation of foregoing units of the Canadian Army based on role has also been done within the regulations for perpetuation. That is how CSOR perpetuates the 1st SFF (but not, because of another part of the regulations, the Airborne Regiment).

Which leads to the question: what 1812 unit honours are to be perpetuated. If none were awarded then, are we to invent those as well?

By all means, we should remember and honour the units that participated in the War of 1812, we just don't need to rewrite the history of unit lineages and honours to do that.

You are right.  I did not articulate a detailed defence of the position of Honour Our 1812 Heroes.  Quite correct.  I posted instead to ask the question: Doesn't this need to be addressed through a clear and transparent process?  The defence of the group's position is the 21 page backgrounder of their website. It attempts to address some of your questions and it is admittedly written by smarter people than I.... 

The initial 1812 commemorative plans for DND was to have Canadian Forces wear Wal-mart greeter pins for the War of 1812, which they could pitch in the garbage can after.  Along with Walmart greeter pins, they wanted units to troop goofy little scouting camp colours on special occasions.  These are the ideas that are coming from the guardians of Military traditions at DND!  Comical to the point of offensive to the memories of Canadian soldiers from 1812.  Next thing you know troops will be practicing foot drill... "Regiment by Companies Form 1.8.1.2."

Obviously you believe the Canadian Forces began in 1855.  Fine.  That is your opinion. 

Lastly you made no points about the Queen's York Rangers and Royal Newfoundland Regiment mentioned in my last posts.  However from your posts it is clear you feel they are wrong.  Too bad.  I think they are right and will work to support them, and other corps wishing the same.  That means changing the regulations.  Remember the regulations were changed after WWI because of WWI.  Now the regulations need to be changed, in my opinion, to right a wrong and accommodate the War of 1812. 

However, so there are no hard feelings, I would like compliment you on your article on WWI RCR badges.  When I was recreating the WW1 RCR badge for the Reenacting Display group and the RCR museum, your research was quite helpful.  Thank you. 

Since you have an Irish last name and I am of Scotch-Irish origin, it is no wonder we are both fighting.  It is tradition.  ;D

RHenderson said:
... Wal-mart greeter pins...
... goofy little scouting camp colours...
... Comical to the point of offensive

Using mockery and insults to not add to the debate.

I have a copy of the 21-page backgrounder, it was sent to me by a good friend whose specialty is War of 1812 research.

My own motivation is to try and understand both the argument being set forth and why any other options are not worthy of consideration. To me, this has began to read like a "situated estimate" where, once the commander has decided on a plan, any information or queries which might cast doubt on its absolute acceptance are to be dismissed or disregarded.

I reiterate, we can remember and honour the units that participated in the War of 1812 without inventing history.

And thank you for your remarks on my website, I'm glad you found the information posted there to be helpful.

Obviously you believe the Canadian Forces was magically born in 1855.  Fine.  That is your opinion.  As well you clearly share the opinion of one or two other people in DND that 1812 Canadian soldiers should be honoured in a nontraditional way.  Again that is your opinion.  Maybe your friends with those trying to maintain these regulations, or you are NDP and were pissed when the Prime Minister suggested this lineage. I don't know your motivation. 

Magically born in 1855?

Listen buddy, I have no idea who you are or what your grasp of either:

a) Canadian History or
b) Regulations concerning the awarding honours;

but chosing between believing you and Mr O'Leary is really no choice- Mr O'Leary has been doing this stuff for most of his adult life.  If he says it cannot/should not be done, I believe him.

Just for argument sake, let's say you talk a gullible Government into issuing Battle Honours to Regiments that really did not exist in anything like their current form for something that happen before the BNA Act was signed.  Why stop there?  Surely, there are also Revolutionary War Battle Honours also to be issued.  But why stop there?  Surely the Mohawks, Hurons, Algonquins, Cree, etc also deserve battle honours for any number of wars that they fighting amongst each other, dating back to antiquity. 

Just because you really, really, really want something to happen, doesn't make it a good idea.

Well, as far as I am aware, the Ministry of Heritage doesn't dictate the awarding of honours to units in the Canadian Forces. How the Ministry of Heritage chooses to promote the War of 1812 and the way in which the Canadian Forces is involves may be two very different things. The latter can certainly include participation in commemorative events without inferring the adoption of individual unit honours or lineage.

It will be interesting to see how this develops, especially if its primary momentum is emotional and not based on an understanding of historical fact regarding unit lineages and traditions of honours and perpetuation.

RHenderson said:
Michael. 

You are not going to like this.    Globe and Mail article quoted a Minister saying the Canadian government will "honour military regiments that “perpetuate the identities of War of 1812 militia units.”"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-to-tread-carefully-in-war-of-1812-commemorations/article2099541/

I guess some other Canadians feel the Canadian Forces began before 1855.  Sorry.

This Canadian didn't, in that article....

Mr. Granatstein forecasts that the sparks will fly across the border as 2012 approaches. He expects Americans to claim during their observances that they won the war – and Canadians to reminisce about “how we … fought off the evil Americans.”

The historian considers the War of 1812 to have ended in a draw and says that Canadians have exaggerated the role their predecessors played in taking up arms to fend off U.S. invaders.

Much of the work was done by British troops, he said, but over time “the role of the British was swept aside and the role of the locals was given predominance.”

Additionally, this comment in the article and the following remark of the Minister's:

Ottawa’s messaging, though, is carefully crafted to steer Canadians away from chauvinistic jingoism or triumphalism at having repelled the Americans in the long-ago war.

“This is not meant to be antagonistic. This is not in any way meant to upset or put a sour taste in anybody’s mouth,” federal Heritage Minister James Moore said of 1812 commemorations.

do not appear to support this objective, listed in your aforementioned 21-page backgrounder:

c) to have Canada award the Battle Honours for Detroit, Queenston, Miami and Niagara to units of the modern Canadian Forces that can claim to perpetuate the War of 1812 units listed in Appendix B;

Mr O'Leary,

"Using mockery and insults to not add to the debate."

I absolutely did not mean to mock nor insult (though a reference to the Her Majesty's Official Opposition should not be considered an insult).  Unfortunately tone and emotion is quite difficult to reproduce in such postings.  Much is indeed lost with non-verbal being 70-80% of communication.

Next time you are in Ottawa I will quite happily apologize in person with an ale.

The effort of the group is an attempt to piece Canadian military tradition back together, not invent it.  Still I am disappointed you felt I wished to offend you, therefore I will withdraw from the discussion and filter out any perceived offence.   

RHenderson said:
Globe and Mail article quoted a Minister saying the Canadian government will "honour military regiments that “perpetuate the identities of War of 1812 militia units.”"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-to-tread-carefully-in-war-of-1812-commemorations/article2099541/
To be fair, since it's not attributed to anybody by name, the quote you mention appears to be based on the Conservatives' last platform document, promising this - highlights mine:
.... We will lead the country in commemorating "The War of 1812:  The Fight for Canada".  We will:
  • designate October 2012 as a month of commemoration of the heroes and key battles of the war;
  • sponsor hundreds of events and re-enactments across the country;
  • honour the contributions of First Nations to the Canadian victory;
  • recognize and honour current Canadian regiments which perpetuate the identities of War of 1812 militia units;
  • invest in the restoration of monuments and historic sites connected to the war;
  • ensure a proper interment of the remains of those who fell in the Battle of Stoney Creek; and
  • establish a new national War of 1812 monument, to be located in the National Capital Region ....

"recognize and honour" =/= "award battle honours to"
I know little about this, but so far, I'm more comfortable w/Michael O'L's approach - here's something worth looking over again from earlier in the thread re:  how this could be approached:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/91200/post-908800.html#msg908800

Ok this is kinda of off topic but this is how my regiment (The Lorne Scots) trace ourselves to 1812.

The Lorne Scots were amalgamated in 1936 form The Lorne Rifles (Scottish) and The Peel and Duffrein Regiment.

Both of these Regiments were formed in Sept 1866 form the amalgamation of various Militia companies in the area formed between 1856 and 1866.

These companies came form the Peel and Halton Militia's formed in 1851 and 1853 when Peel and Halton broke off of York County.

Before this they were part of the York Militia back to its fomation in 1793.

During the war of 1812 the present day area of Peel, Dufferin, and Halton a part of the Second Regiment of York Militia who were present at battles such as Detriot and Queenston Heights.

Lowlander said:
Ok this is kinda of off topic but this is how my regiment (The Lorne Scots) trace ourselves to 1812.

There are many units with oral narratives that depart from the official interpretation of lineage.

From "The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army", prepared by the Army Historical Section, 1964:

[The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment)] originated on 14 Sep 1866 when the 36th "Peel Battalion of Infantry" was authorized to be formed from eight independent companies. In incorporates the following regiments.

The Peel and Dufferin Regiment was authorized on 14 Sep 1866 ....

The Lorne Rifles (Scottish) was authorized on 23 Sep 1866 ...

There is certainly nothing wrong with promoting connections to local units or independent companies that existed prior to the official establishment of a unit. But those connections are not the official lineage.

Edit to add; from your unit's website:

On 14 September 1866 the 36th Peel Battalion was authorized and on 28 September the 20th Halton Battalion of Infantry was formed. These two regiments, some 70 years later, were to be reorganized to form The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment). The first Scottish connection was made on 27 September 1879 when the Halton Rifles were reviewed by His Excellency The Marquis of Lorne and permission was received in 1881 to redesignate the 20th Halton Rifles as the 20th Halton Battalion Lorne Rifles. In addition, the wearing of tartan trews and the diced Glengarry were authorized and a Pipe Band was formed.

Back