• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Want To Clarify A Few Things

JSingh04

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have applied for the Naval Combat System Engineer position (DEO) and in case I am offered a position I want to be sure of a few things that have crossed my head:

1. As a DEO will I start out as a Second Lieutenant right from when my Basic training begins?
2. I do not know French at all. Will I have to spend extra time learning it or is that only for some selected trades?
3. Will there be any sign-up bonus?
4. Eventually I will need to move to Halifax or Victoria. I'm guessing I would need a place to live and I won't be on the ship all the time. Will I be renting an apartment or will the CF somehow assist me with this.

Thanks for reading.

More than likely you will complete BMOQ as an OCdt, commissioned as 2Lt after completion of BMOQ, with pay retroactive. 

Eye In The Sky said:
More than likely you will complete BMOQ as an OCdt, commissioned as 2Lt after completion of BMOQ, with pay retroactive.

Actually i asked this Q of my RC - they said paid as 2Lt right away as if you look there is not a DEO band under Ocdt

1. You will finish BMOQ as a Naval Cadet. Upon completion, you'll be commissioned as an A/Slt (retroactive to the start of your BMOQ). Unless things have changed recently, you will be paid as an A/Slt for the entire duration.

2. Learning French isn't a part of the current training stream as I've seen it. You'll have to learn it at some point in your career, but it won't be right after BMOQ.

3. No.

4. The earliest you'll move off-base will be in Halifax for your NEI and your Applications course. Most people rent an apartment. Rations at CFB Halifax will run you $906/month. A room in the cheapest (read: run down) quarters in Wellington house will cost you $157 a month, for a grand total of $1063/month to live on base.

Nostix said:
A room in the cheapest (read: run down) quarters in Wellington house will cost you $157 a month, for a grand total of $1063/month to live on base.

Wellington House...I lived in there after the Chief's & P's was torn down/pre-Juno Tower ('06?).  Thumbs down to that place unless they've put a ton of work into it.

Keep in mind also that if you are in SQs, you do not get PLD ($631/month currently for Hfx, works out to $182.62/pay after taxes).

Eye In The Sky said:
Wellington House...I lived in there after the Chief's & P's was torn down/pre-Juno Tower ('06?).  Thumbs down to that place unless they've put a ton of work into it.

I don't imagine it's any better now than it was then.

Back