• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Tanks! BA1916. It just seemed really strange to me and yes, I was going by the years I rec'd mine (+/-). I appreciate the clarification and education.  :salute:

recceguy said:
It shows the SSM being created in 1984 and the CPSM as created in 1988. Pretty sure that should be '94 and '98 respectively.

How can one government web site be so rife with errors? Should really screw up the posers though.

because with all the OJT spare officers, not one has been put on that kind of task. The same goes for DAOD/CFAO, etc. Someone asked me about swim tests the other day. I challenge you to go find details about it. Hint: start in 381 training safety and go from there.

Yet another ...
The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 297 in Cornwall has had its first vice-president resign, amid allegations of — and his apology for — untrue claims of military service and successes.

Arthur Murray, a 14-year member of the Legion who was elected to the first vice-president position last June, handed in his resignation to president Linda Fisher.

“We knew nothing (about the misrepresentation), this was such a shock,” Fisher said Tuesday.

Stolen Valour Canada, an all-veteran, all-volunteer organization aiming to expose imposters posing as military personnel or veterans, levelled allegations against Murray, who was also the cadet liason. The organization has posted what it says is a written apology from Murray.

The story has been told on the U.S. website “This Ain’t Hell – But you can see it from here.”

The website said the story came to it from Stolen Valour Canada, when the organization was asked to comment upon photographic images of Murray, of Cornwall, attending Remembrance Day services in the city.

Stolen Valour Canada said among Murray’s claims was that he was an artilleryman in the Canadian Forces, was a qualified CF parachutist, served in the Canadian Airborne Regiment Battle Group, served with 2 RHCA in Cyprus and received the Canadian Peace Keeping Service and UNFICYP medals.

But, Stolen Valour Canada says, Murray did not complete Canadian Forces recruit training, had fewer than two months of regular force service, was not an artilleryman, never qualified as a CF parachutist, never served in E Bty (Para) 2 RCHA, was never a member of the Canadian Airborne Regiment Battle Group and never served in Cyprus ...

murry7.jpg

Yeah!  Look at the way the guy's beret is tipped way forward of regulation wear, and his salute is like he's patting the top of his head, or ready to lay down some 'knife hand..."  Totally outrageous!

Oh wait....  :-\

G2G

Good2Golf said:
murry7.jpg

Yeah!  Look at the way the guy's beret is tipped way forward of regulation wear, and his salute is like he's patting the top of his head, or ready to lay down some 'knife hand..."  Totally outrageous!

Oh wait....  :-\

G2G

Anyone know what the big shiny buckler shield on the BGen is?

Lightguns said:

Not sure, but undoubtedly he has one in Velcro to go on his combat shirt...

MM

Lightguns said:
a)  LGen
b)  Order of the Massive Sphincter

(fortunately, we've dumped him onto NATO so he's no longer our problem; now if we could only lose the badge-happy, out of touch with troops, Army CWO beside him  ::)  )

/bitter and  twisted  :nod:

Can anyone here tell me if an award such as a DSO could be re-issued? I've discovered that my great grandfather was awarded one during WW1. I am aware that WW1 medals aren't re-issued but I'm unsure about a medal such as a DSO.

Journeyman said:
a)  LGen
b)  Order of the Massive Sphincter

(fortunately, we've dumped him onto NATO so he's no longer our problem; now if we could only lose the badge-happy, out of touch with troops, Army CWO beside him  ::)  )

I couldn't tell who anyone was because they weren't wearing peak caps. 

X_para76 said:
Can anyone here tell me if an award such as a DSO could be re-issued? I've discovered that my great grandfather was awarded one during WW1. I am aware that WW1 medals aren't re-issued but I'm unsure about a medal such as a DSO.

The Distinguished Service Order is no longer a medal available to be awarded to CAF pers. When Canada revamped it's honours and awards to make it more Canadian they created a number of medals to replace the traditional British medals. I think that the modern Meritorious Service Cross would be issued where the DSO would have been.

The criteria for the medal is " a military deed or activity that has been performed in an outstandingly professional manner, according to a rare high standard that brings considerable benefit or great honour to the Canadian Forces". For the DSO it is "The Distinguished Service Order is an operational gallantry award given for highly successful command and leadership during active operations".

Journeyman said:
... now if we could only lose the badge-happy, out of touch with troops, Army CWO beside him  ::)  )

You mean the guy who will be the new CFCWO in APS 17?

dangerboy said:
The Distinguished Service Order is no longer a medal available to be awarded to CAF pers. When Canada revamped it's honours and awards to make it more Canadian they created a number of medals to replace the traditional British medals. I think that the modern Meritorious Service Cross would be issued where the DSO would have been.

The criteria for the medal is " a military deed or activity that has been performed in an outstandingly professional manner, according to a rare high standard that brings considerable benefit or great honour to the Canadian Forces". For the DSO it is "The Distinguished Service Order is an operational gallantry award given for highly successful command and leadership during active operations".

Hi DB, my GGF served with the S. African Union Defence Forces but was unde Brit command so I would likely be applying to the MOD to have the medal re-issued.

Haggis said:
You mean the guy who will be the new CFCWO in APS 17?
That's outstanding news.  It's pretty selfish of the Army to keep such a brilliant mind to itself -- share the joy!  Turn everyone's  uniforms into NASCAR jackets; hell, maybe we can get corporate sponsorship, so those without any wings/badges can wear bling too..... "for morale and retention."

Journeyman said:
That's outstanding news.  It's pretty selfish of the Army to keep such a brilliant mind to itself -- share the joy!  Turn everyone's  uniforms into NASCAR jackets; hell, maybe we can get corporate sponsorship, so those without any wings/badges can wear bling too..... "for morale and retention."

And a series of boot patches to show your defective footwear history would be really neat.  [:p

Lightguns said:

Grand Officer of the Order of Military Merit of Brazil.  See CANFORGEN 213/15 for the announcement.

I'd like to see GBA+ patches on CAF members.  After all you can fake a jump course but who in their right mind would be able to fake that level of training?

Journeyman said:
... those without any wings/badges can wear bling too..... "for morale and retention."
Who hates more flair, right?
198505997-il_570xN_9211823.jpg

Jarnhamar said:
I'd like to see GBA+ patches on CAF members.  After all you can fake a jump course but who in their right mind would be able to fake that level of training?
Funny how that never gets walted ...

Haggis said:
Grand Officer of the Order of Military Merit of Brazil.  See CANFORGEN 213/15 for the announcement.

Also got "Faith in The Cause" Military Medal from Columbia at the same time.  Nice stuff, but the Argies missed out. 

milnews.ca said:
The story has been told on the U.S. website “This Ain’t Hell – But you can see it from here.”
The US site has more pictures of him.  "E Bty in the Airborne Battle Group," but with a red maple leaf on the jump wings; man, he couldn't even do Basic Walting right.  :facepalm:

I keep seeing a need for a "Walt Consulting Group"; the fee charged would vary with how 'special' you want to pretend.  Services could include getting the badges and decorations right, coaching on war stories, when to authoritatively sneer or role eyes during war movies....

I'd have to contract out some of the more elitist aspects though; I am not, nor have I ever been, GBA+ qualified -- I even had to Google it.  (There, I've admitted it!  :'( )

Back