• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

recceguy said:
So if a Brit had a Victoria Cross, he would have to mount it behind the CD if they transfer to the CAF?

Seems a bit off if you ask me.

Be careful, Stolen Valour Canada, and their lackeys' may investigate you for that statement!!

X Royal said:
Commonwealth awards (except those awarded, dating back to when Canadians were part of that system)  do not get special privileges. They are considered foreign awards same as elsewhere.

That is incorrect.  The guidelines promulgated on the Governor General's site as well as the text of the Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive, 1998 (SI/98-55) state that Commonwealth honours are worn in precedence before "foreign".

3. Commonwealth orders, decorations and medals, the award of which is approved by the Government of Canada, are worn after the Canadian orders, decorations and medals listed in section 1, the precedence in each category being set by date of appointment or award.

4. Foreign orders, decorations and medals, the award of which is approved by the Government of Canada, are worn after the orders, decorations and medals referred to in sections 1 and 3, the precedence in each category being set by date of appointment or award.

The system is a bit wacked and dated national-centric.  Valor awards from allied nations (once accepted as a valor award by the office of the GG) should be worn first in order precedence.  It makes no sense that a silver star is worn after the Canada 125. 

Lightguns said:
The system is a bit wacked and dated national-centric.  Valor awards from allied nations (once accepted as a valor award by the office of the GG) should be worn first in order precedence.  It makes no sense that a silver star is worn after the Canada 125.
As for the Silver Star it is only awarded to members of the United States Armed Forces.
If a Canadian was serving in the United States Armed Forces than the Canadian Governor General would not likely even be consulted to it's awarding to a serving member of the United States Armed Forces.

X Royal said:
As for the Silver Star it is only awarded to members of the United States Armed Forces.
If a Canadian was serving in the United States Armed Forces than the Canadian Governor General would not likely even be consulted to it's awarding to a serving member of the United States Armed Forces.

Ack, a poor example on my part then.  Still the meriting of valour awards ahead of campaign and celebratory medals is an idea with merit (so to speak).

X Royal said:

Actually incorrect off the top of my head I can think of two Canadians who received the Silver Star, Tommy Prince (RCE) and Sam McGee (Tor Scots)  both while serving with the FSSF, and having met Sam on more than one occasion he wore it after his Canadian medals including his CD
http://thercr.ca/main/index.php/regimental-news/483-passing-sgt-william-sam-james-magee-cd-omc-ssm-bsm-w-v-bsm-usa

May have happened in the past but not possible now unless the Canadian is serving in(not with) the US Armed Forces.
The FSSF was an amalgamated (US/Canadian) unit. May have played a big part.
Now the Canadian would be awarded a Canadian medal.

X Royal said:
May have happened in the past but not possible now unless the Canadian is serving in(not with) the US Armed Forces.

Actually, there are a number of serving CAF pers who have received US valour medals (bronze star, etc). Mind, mostly in secret and behind closed doors.

edit-correction

A number of Canadians serving in Canadian units received American decorations in both the Second World and Korean Wars. One was Major EMD MacNaughton, father of Andrew Leslie, during the former conflict. He wore his Bronze Star after his Canadian medals.

X Royal said:

Not quite.  I was going to link to an example of an entry in the Canada Gazette (where the authority to accept a foreign decoration has to be posted) however any of the 42 links that showed up in my search for "Bronze Star" will suffice.

The Bronze Star is currently approved for being awarded to foreign troops unlike the Silver Star.
I never stated a Canadian soldier could not be awarded a Bronze Star if approved by the Canadian government.

It is the US rules which currently prohibit awarding the Silver Star to foreign troops.

X Royal said:
It is the US rules which currently prohibit awarding the Silver Star to foreign troops.

Really . . . has this policy changed in the last year? (The linked reference includes only to Change 2, 03/13/2015)

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/134833vol3.pdf
d. Foreign Military Personnel. Members of the armed forces of friendly foreign nations may be awarded the Silver Star medal for valorous acts in actual combat in direct support of U.S. Military operations. See section 1213 of this enclosure for procedures for awarding U.S. Military medals to foreign personnel.

X Royal said:
It appears to have changed on 03/13/2015.

No, it does not appear that way.  The amendments made on that change  are noted in the document.  The paragraph I quoted was not one of them.  While there may not have been the award of the Silver Star medal to non-US personnel since the Vietnam War, it doesn't mean that they changed their policy.  They may have just tightened the application of the regulations.

You just don't give up do you.
Please show me a reference that the Silver Star could be awarded before this 2015 change?
Not meaning going back to WW2 either but lets say in the year 2000.

X Royal said:
Please show me a reference that the Silver Star cold be awarded before this 2015 change?

:)

Attachments

• never-give-up-intradayfun-920NXm-quote.jpg
    never-give-up-intradayfun-920NXm-quote.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 149
X Royal said:
Please show me a reference that the Silver Star cold be awarded before this 2015 change?

U.S. Code, Title 10, Subtitle C, Part II,  Chapter 567, § 6244 . . . the US law dealing with the award of the Silver Star; enacted Aug. 10, 1956 and the sole amendment to the law on July 25, 1963

Look it up.  Now, what reference do you have, besides "buddy told me", to support your claim?

Nice try Blackadder but your first two references only apply to awards to US Navy & Marine Corp personnel.
Nothing in there about awards to non US military personnel.
As for your last link it covers laws passed by Congress from 1995 to 2016.
Can you be a little more specific.
Check this reference:
http://valor.defense.gov/DescriptionofAwards.aspx

Back